Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Return Of The King EE Review - SPOILERS!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverMoonLady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've definitely been happy to enjoy the EE over and over the last week or so... Even though I still have a few ickies that just bug the heck out of me..... Definitely wanted to see more of the backstories from the book which were understandably cut for the theatrical length. Denethor having the palantir; Faramir and Merry being healed in the Houses of Healing; more Faramir and Eowyn dialogue in the HoH; Beregond and Bergil (though it was a nice touch to add that little 'size' comment to Pippin's conversation with Faramir). Well, there's of course more, but that was what I had hoped for.... And I can't help but sigh a little with some of what was added. Loved the little convo between Merry and Eowyn that they added, but they got him offering his service to Theoden all wrong Evil or Very Mad Why do they insist on making him act like a kid???
*shoves pet peeve back in it's cage*
Adored Eomer finding Eowyn... I finally have a good recording of what is referred to as a 'heart-wrenching cry of grief'! Very Happy
Still totally snarked that they screwed up the one line I was waiting for; some unreasonable part of me wanted them to fix it (though I knew they wouldn't), but I like that now they have Pippin looking for Merry for hours before he finds him; makes a lot more sense for those who don't know that this is a smooshing together of three different scenes until they are barely recognizable... I still think Merry's original line "Are you going to bury me?" is a lot more powerful, but then I guess they would have to explain about the Black Breath..... *pout* Wah!!!! Can they just go ahead and make an extra version for those of us who can stand to watch the whole thing??? I don't mind, just give us all the important stuff and screw the 'general public'! They got their version, now we want ours!!
Crying or Very sad

Sorry........... Christmas nerves I guess.... Embarassed
Very Happy
Still damn glad they gave us what they did:)

*wanders off to cater to shoppers with too much money and too little sense*
Will watch it again tonight....Smile

Shelob the Cookie Baker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Eyborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I agree with you Sil about the Merry/Théoden scene... I thought Merry was behaving too much like a 14 year old. Evil or Very Mad But still I can't help but finding it adorable. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried not to read too much about the movie before I had seen it (last night) because I didn't want to spoil it but here are some things I thought.

1) LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT

2) They let more of Gimli, Pippin, and Merry's personality show in the deleted clips. I thought the scenes of Gimli on the paths of the dead, drunk with Legolas, and making Legolas shoot the arrow crooked were hysterical.

3) The mouth of Sauron - PJ should have left that in. The fact that Gandalf was so destroyed thinking that Frodo was dead was sweet. Aragorn's way of dealing with the mouth was PERFECT. The fact that they all thought that Frodo was dead and still decided to storm the black gates says alot for their bravery and desire to do right. I think it said alot for Aragorn as a king to say - "Okay, he might be dead but damn I am still gonna kick some orc ass on his behalf." Plus for Pippin and Merry to be so brave thinking that maybe Frodo and Sam were dead so they could just as easily die but they still wanted to fight rather than playing the whole "I'm so small. I want to go back to the Shire." card.

4) Frodo's suffering was more obvious to me in the EE. Before I kind of felt like he was weak and not that big of a hero because he gave in at the end. But because of the extended scenes, I could see the true effect the ring was having on him mentally and physically a lot more.

5) Faramir's part was better in this one. I felt more drawn to him than any of the other movies. I wanted to hug him more than anything. The scene with him and Pippin was great. The scene with Eowyn was short but sweet. I still don't think they fleshed out enough of their relationship.

6) Eowyn was a lot more brave and likable with the extended scenes. Instead of that one brave moment (killing the Witch King) she had plenty. I loved the two scenes between her and Eomer. First them fighting then him being so devastated. The scene with her and Aragorn in the hall made her relationship with him a little more so you weren't going "Why was she all hot for him all of the sudden?" because in the previous movie they had rare one on one contact. Suddenly she was in love with him. But seeing that scene when she was sleeping in the great hall and he interacts with her made you understand that there was some kind of bond between them other than the fact she was digging him because he was so brave. Loved the scene with her, Eomer, and Aragorn in the HOH although it could have been longer.

7) Eomer....what more can I say....Eomer. Oh, and more Aragorn...can never go wrong there. I was big into Legolas prior to this although I thought Eomer and Aragorn were awesome looking and great characters - tonight I truly became more "excited" about the men as much as the elf. And the one clip of Boromir when Denathor sees him over Faramir's shoulder - hottie hottie hottie. If they movie were not so damn good, I would still watch it for the eye candy aspect.

Worth the $60 for the collector's ed? Hell yeah!! I would have paid twice that and considered it a bargain.

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queenoftheshire wrote:
Very Happy
The Berlin Incident was the first thing I watched!
Bwhahaha!!!

Dom: Do you collect sex toys?

ROFL

I must have missed something. What is this about easter eggs and so on? Where are these scenes?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gypsum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: EEEEE!!! Reply with quote

I overall LOVED it and thought it improved and clarified the theatrical version. But it wasn't QUITE perfect because PJ left out a few things that I would have left in.

A longer houses of healing sene would have been nice. Okay, it didn't even have to be longer, but I thought it was key to that scene that Aragorn was able to heal people because he was the king. "The hands of the King are the hands of a healer." Aragorn fixing Eowyn was great, but to anyone who hadn't read the books, it looked as if he was healing her because he felt bad for her and bad for Eomer who found her half dead. Not because he was the king and he COULD. I really wanted him to fix broken Merry and broken Faramir.

I also thought he should have said that Eowyn was not all dead, in which case the only thing he could do was search her pockets for loose change, but only mostly dead... Oh wait, wrong movie.

More seriously, I wasn't 100% happy with the palantir scene. Another key thing for me in the books in terms of Aragorn claiming his lawful right as king was the fact that he could control the palantir. He sort of let Sauron show Arwen being dead and never really told Sauron to go f** himself like he did in the book.

Is there a pattern in these things?? Hah. I guess it was very very clear in the books that Aragorn was indeed the lawful king and not merely some guy who had a big army and took the city and claimed kingship. I also wish they'd had that scene where he's like, "I won't ride into the city as king. I'll go as Chieftain of the Dunedain and see what's up" because he's cool and didn't want to to cause political unrest. I thought those things were fundamental to his character. But oh well.
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I wasn't sure about - did the people of Gondor consider him the king before his cornation? I mean the men followed him into battle and he dressed like the king in the end. (And looked DAMN sexy in doing so) But was he in control of Gondor at that point?

I rewatched the added scenes and that Mouth of Sauron should definitly been kept in. It was needed in the story to show that even though Aragorn was told he was dead, he went ahead and fought. He thought Arwen was dead as well so technically he was fighting for his people and his friends not for the woman he loved.

I don't know - maybe it's just me but Viggo was insanely sexy in the black gates scene. I could just eat him up with a spoon. He may be older than the normal hotties of the film but my God he looks good even for a man half his age.

There is an awesome, funny fan fiction story on another site where the younger guys in the cast are discussing Viggo's body (in a non-gay way) and how much better it is than some of them.

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Happy I can now post to this thread!! Yeah, Hub! Yeah, Christmas.

The Hub and I watched the EE over two nights, Christmas night and that one after! and both agreed the EE is a much better film, more satisfying, more just about everything.

I really appreciated the greater sense of connection woven through this film: did you notice how most scenes changes cut from Hobbit to Hobbit? Merry to Sam, Frodo to Pippin etc. Very cool; helped me remember the story could be seen as being about how these four change the world and are involved in the fight in three very different ways.

Also appreciated smoothing out some of the rough spots: Aragorn's surprise at seeing Arwen at the Coronation ... I know there were others but that's what springs to mind.

Was bothered by a couple of things:

Whimpy Gandalf: How come the Nazgul so easily broke his staff and Gandalf became a whimp afterward? When he's lying on the ground with the Witch King looming over him he looks like he knows it's all over for him. Without a fight?? And then in the throne room, and in front of the black gate he succumbs to despair very easily. I appreciate it shows the shift in catalyst from Gandalf to Aragorn but find it incongrous with the Gandalf we see in the first two and a half films.

Also thought the conversation between Merry and Eowyn was very clumsy: how did we get from "You have people who love you" to "I'm just a little hobbit but I want to fight" ? Very poorly scripted.

Still amazed at how little respect the script shows for Denethor. The tomato juice not withstanding getting bitch-slapped by both Gandalf and his horse was over the line for me. Guess PJ and all just decided to disregard that whole 'blood of Numenor runs true in him' thing...

Lastly, Theoden saying "You must let me go:" A horribly anachronistic moment. Such a modern post-therapy world sentiment!! Yuccchhhh.

Otherwise, loved it. Confused

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
inglor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked:
Merry Kicking ASS!. When the Rohirrim come over the hill, the utter "Oh God we are going to ride into that!" Gimli nudging Legolas and the whole Corsair scene. Mouth of Sauron was positively NASTY. Sam and Rosy. Gothmog getting ganged up on. I liked the greater focus on Eowyn

I agree with Nancy, Aragorn and Gandalf going soft kinda cheesed me. Aragorn going all pouty @ the Palantir was too much.

Still liked:Eowyn hamstringing the Oliphants, Charge of the Rohirrim, gives me goosebumps. Realism in battle, how the tide of battle went back and forth. The fear in the eyes... The battles weren't as realistic from a gore aspect as say Private Ryan or Braveheart, but it was PG so... I would like to have seen an R version of Pellanor

Still didn't like: Pilsbury DoBoy Gothmog

It was still too hurried, should have been two movies, but is still my most prized DVD

Inglor the Never Satisfied

Owner of the phrase: "merciless attention" so authorized by Viv
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: