Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Lets rub noses with the mysterious Woses.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Lets rub noses with the mysterious Woses. Reply with quote

Also called the Druedain (Sindarin) and residents of the Druedan Forest, once Aragorn Elessar was crowned they were given their forest as reward for helping the Eorlingas skirt the road block on the way to Minas Tirith. Their leader was Ghan-buri-ghan and is described in Book 5, RotK, Ch.5: "The Ride of the Rohirrim" as follows:

"There sat Theoden and Eomer and before them on the ground sat a strange squat shape of a man, gnarled as an old stone, and the hairs of his scanty beard straggled on his lumpy chin like dry moss. He was short-legged and fat-armed, thick and stumpy, and clad only with grass about his waist." Merry thinks he looks like the Pukel-men from Dunharrow. "His voice was deep and gutteral" and he had a "flat face and dark eyes". In that same chapter he also offers himself as security that the Wild Men will not lead Rohan's army astray and says that even when the sun cannot be seen the Wild Men "still feel her".

I haven't found much else in my research regarding family/tribal structure, language, etc., in cannon, non-cannon or fic. Does anyone else know more or are these people really basically untouched in the world of Tolkien fan fiction?

Thanks,

Neume

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfinished Tales has a lot about them:

he Folk of Haleth called them by the name drūg, that being a word of their own language. To the eyes of Elves and other Men they were unlovely in looks: they were stumpy (some four foot high) but very broad, with heavy buttocks and short thick legs; their wide faces had deep-set eyes with heavy brows, and flat noses, and grew no hair below their eyebrows, except in a few men (who were proud of the distinction) a small tail of black hair in the midst of the chin. Their features were usually impassive, the most mobile being their wide mouths; and the movement of their wary eyes could not be observed save from close at hand for they were so black that the pupils could not be distinguished, but in anger they glowed red. Their voices were deep and guttural, but their laughter was a surprise: it was rich and rolling, and set all who heard it. Elves or Men, laughing too for its pure merriment untainted by scorn or malice.

I will send you the whole section by e-mail (7 pages).

Oh and this essay by Michael Martinez:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/39846

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely hinted at them in one chapter of 'Alliance' (set in Belfalas) and I was planning a fairly large cameo by them in 'And in the Darkness Bind Them.'

Not that that helps much research wise, but then Rhaps mentioned the bit I used.

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there was that p0rn thing with woses and Eowyn Puke that appeared here a while back (and disappeared almost as quickly) but then, I suggest you don't go there.
Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you very much Rhaps. I just got the email a few minutes ago.

Space, I'll look for that piece to see what's been done before.

No worries; there will be no pr0n between humans and Woses leaving my keyboard. Puke is right. I can't see anybody getting it on w/ a tree stump made human and actually enjoying it.

I'm specifically wondering about Wose women and children, since (don't ask me how, sometimes things just do what they want in my world) I have a character suddenly captured [sort of] by the Woses and taken to what amounts to a village. I'm not as familiar with the aboriginal (sp?) peoples of Europe as I am those of North America, so trying to figure out what has been done and accepted before I venture into new territory.

Thank you all for your help,

Neu

Rhapsody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:

I'm specifically wondering about Wose women and children, since (don't ask me how, sometimes things just do what they want in my world) I have a character suddenly captured [sort of] by the Woses and taken to what amounts to a village. I'm not as familiar with the aboriginal (sp?) peoples of Europe as I am those of North America, so trying to figure out what has been done and accepted before I venture into new territory.

As for Europe... wow. This piece of the Continent had quite some movement of tribes and such (caused by Atilla, Norse, Saxons and more of these kinda cases). So it is actually hard to say what would make the aboriginals of Europe. The Celts originated in Greece, but ended up in Ireland as well. I am thinking more about the Picts (who resided above the wall of Adrianus (Great Britian), and maybe the Formonians of Ireland.

Formonians: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/f/fomorians.html

NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound like a good start and thanks for them, Rhaps. Will investigate those further, though I think I've hit on something for the time being loosely based on the Iriquois Nations of eastern North America, also a fairly peaceful, forest dwelling people who tried to deal civilly with the new (white) neighbors and got a raw deal (imo at least). Since Elessar gives them their woods, though, I won't have to worry about forced relocations and smallpox outbreaks.

My worry with that particular move is the Professor's dislike of the U.S. Would he, do you think, have gone to a North American aboriginal example? I'm playing out of cannon already, but I would at least like to do it with his methods in mind.

Thanks again,

Neu

P.S.: Space, read Alliance tonight. Holy crap, my friend, no wonder you're up for a MEFA! I couldn't stop reading it, hence why I'm researching a hobby at 5:30AM instead of sleeping. Will review once the dust settles, but wanted to gush here too. Very Happy BB, N.I.

Rhapsody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:

My worry with that particular move is the Professor's dislike of the U.S. Would he, do you think, have gone to a North American aboriginal example? I'm playing out of cannon already, but I would at least like to do it with his methods in mind.

The term wood-woses or simply Woses is used by J.R.R. Tolkien to describe a fictional race of wild men in his stories, called also Druedain. According to his legendarium, other men, including the Rohirrim, mistook the Druedain for goblins or other wood-creatures and referred to them as Pukel-men (Goblin-men).

Now. The woodwoses are hairy wildman of the woods was the Sasquatch figure of pre-Christian Gaul, in Anglo-Saxon a wuduwasa.

How about this:
Woodwose: from the Speculum Regale ("the King's Mirror"), written in Norway around 1250: "It once happened in that country (and this seems indeed strange) that a living creature was caught in the forest as to which no one could say definitely whether it was a man or some other animal; for no one could get a word from it or be sure that it understood human speech. It had the human shape, however, in every detail, both as to hands and face and feet; but the entire body was covered with hair as the beasts are, and down the back it had a long coarse mane like that of a horse, which fell to both sides and trailed along the ground when the creature stooped in walking."

Read more here:
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Woodwose

I never had a close look at the Druedain before, but Tolkien did base his worls on European Mythology. Neume, European mythology is fun! Really Smile
Thanks again,

Quote:

P.S.: Space, read Alliance tonight. Holy crap, my friend, no wonder you're up for a MEFA! I couldn't stop reading it, hence why
I'm researching a hobby at 5:30AM instead of sleeping. Will review once the dust settles, but wanted to gush here too. Very Happy BB, N.I.

Yay! I had the same experience... Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: