Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

A question about Hobbits before they settled in the Shire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellisk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: A question about Hobbits before they settled in the Shire Reply with quote

I need opinions about Hobbits while they were living east of the Misty Mountains from those of you that know more about Hobbit history than I--which would be nearly anyone. Smile

First, is this an accurate summary: The Hobbits originally lived along the northern part of the River Anduin. Around 1050, the Harfoots moved into Eriador. Around 1150, the Fallohides crossed into Eriador north of Rivendell and came down the River Hoarwell. At around the same time, the Stoors crossed the Redhorn Pass and settled as far south as Tharbad and the Dunland borders but especially in the Angle. If that is accurate, do we know how long before 1050 TA the Hobbits lived in Rhovanion? Since the beginning of the TA? Since the SA? Any ideas?

Second: I know (I think) that the Fallohides were more adventurous (Tookish) and more likely to mix with other races. Do you folks think that any of the Hobbits ever interacted with the Elves that lived in Greenwood or Lothlorien at any point in their history? After all, those Elves lived for a long time--in the First and Second Age anyway--in the Vales of the Anduin, not the forests.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this. Thanks. Smile

Ultima ratio regum (The Last Argument of Kings)--engraved on all French cannons by order of Louis XIV
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what Elliska Jane, I did a whole crap load of research on this so I could write two sentences about it. I will hunt it down and send it to you. I have from just before the beginning of the third age to about 1600 ish, 3age when the Fallohide brothers are given the land north of the Brandywine and est. the Shire. I think it was 1600ish, It was definately before the plague which puts it at before 1638. But I'll hunt it all down for you, I hopefully have it on disco around here, and get it to you as soon as I find. Anything before the end of the second age, I really don't have much. Just a brief history and a tiny bit of geneology if I'm not mistaken. Very Happy
ellisk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettoelleth wrote:
You know what Elliska Jane, I did a whole crap load of research on this so I could write two sentences about it. I will hunt it down and send it to you.

That would be perfect--I also need it for about 2 lines of dialogue where a character is making an idle comment, but I'm a canon geek, so I want it to be right... Rolling Eyes

If anyone has any opinions on whether the Hobbits would have interacted with the Elves, I'd love to hear them.

Ultima ratio regum (The Last Argument of Kings)--engraved on all French cannons by order of Louis XIV
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellisk wrote:
ghettoelleth wrote:
You know what Elliska Jane, I did a whole crap load of research on this so I could write two sentences about it.

That would be perfect--I also need it for about 2 lines of dialogue where a character is making an idle comment, but I'm a canon geek, so I want it to be right... Rolling Eyes

Laughing That's just the way I am, too!

No actual help here, just humorous sympathy. Move along ... move along ...

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: