37%
 37%  [ 11 ]
I have read the Chronicles of Narnia, but not the Trilogy
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I have read them all
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
I have read none of them (Why am I filling out this poll?)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Tolkien, Lewis and You Reply with quote

Douglas Gresham, C. S. Lewis's stepson, was paraphrased yesterday on National Public Radio (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5013120) as saying that the Chronicles of Narnia were never intended as Christian books, per se (to retell the story of Christ) but to ask the reader 'how they would measure up if they found themselves fighting a battle in Narnia?'

Following that thought, Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy (initially) must stand in for the reader in that experience - here's what they would do, would you do the same?

When I heard this I immediately started thinking about the Trilogy, and if we weren't meant to ask the same question of ourselves in regards to Middle Earth. (As near as I can figure, the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was first published in 1950, four years before The Fellowship of the Ring, although both authors had been working on the books in consultation with each other for some time, and both fought in the first world war.)

Now, I wonder, did you as a reader (or viewer of the films) identify yourself with Frodo? did you see yourself in his place? or is this why we have so many Mary Sue/girl zatted into ME/10th walker stories out there? Twisted Evil

Hmmm

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to think back to when I first read the Trilogy here, and it is a long while ago... Being so closely involved with the fandom, fan fiction etc has made my view on the book a lot more complicated - I get a lot more out of it now when I read than I did then, I think, as I'm looking at the languages, the history, how everything fits together with the Silmarillion etc.

When I first got into it though, I think I did identify with Frodo et al in a way. I felt almost like an invisible 'girl zatted into ME / 10th Walker' who said and did nothing but was there with the characters throughout, experiencing the same landscapes and peoples. (when I write, however, I do identify with the character, rather than OFCs or such, which is why I don't do a lot of PWP or OFC stories, and on the rare occasion I do, I usually write it from the POV of the canon character).

I'm not sure if any of that makes any sense. The characters in the trilogy were endearing to me, people I would have liked to have had as friends, so that, although I might not have identified as any one in particular, when Gandalf fell at Moria, or when Boromir died, it was like losing a companion. Likewise as I was reading I was anxious to see that the others were all right and that Frodo succeeded. I don't know if that's the sort of thing you mean.

NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember identifying with Susan in the Chronicles of Narnia, but if memory serves, I reacted to the Trilogy from a female perspective. I knew as a girl I wouldn't have been in the Fellowship, I'd have been at home watching Sharkey's thugs rip down the Party Tree or evacuated from Minas Tirith until the all clear came to go home and fix stuff. I guess that means I read and reacted to the story as if I was hearing it from someone who was there rather than as a participant in the events because I knew a girl wouldn't be allowed to participate. Curiously enough, the Elves, who allowed females to pitch in with the fighting, didn't interest me much the first time I read the books. I did ask myself "what would I have done" but never thought of where specifically I would fit in the grand scheme of things. Hm. Kinda makes me wonder about just how quickly we're taught gender roles around here.

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read them all, the trilogy, all seven of the chronicles, (both of these many many times) as well as Silmarillion, part of HoME, UT, the Hobbit, The Screwtape Letters (still an all-time fave), Mere Christianity, The Abolition of Man, and The Weight of Glory (every christian on the planet needs to read this one).

What I have never been able to comprehend, especially of people who have actually read any of his works beyond the Chronicles is, Why? Why do people keep saying he was and atheist? wtf wtf I have heard it stated and seen it in print many many times. So many times, I kinda felt like Inigo Montoya, "I do not think this word means what you think it means."

THEIST...C.S. Lewis was a THEIST. Wow, thank you, that felt really refreshing. I wouldn't

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: