Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

a little stuck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TariElensar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: a little stuck Reply with quote

I am writing my first story and I'm onto my fifth chapter but I have really bad writer's block! I think it's probably because I'm not overkeen on the story. Is there anyway anyone could give me advice on my story to either improve it or to give me confidence in it again? lol, weird request I know. Thanks friends! Wink
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a thread on this a while back. Check it out; it might help.
Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: are you getting stuck in "I must write what comes next" mode, or are you stuck for ideas to finish the story? I often times trip over chronology- I can see an ending point from where the story stands, but can't see a path to get there. So, I just write whatever comes, regardless of where it falls on the timeline of the story, and fill up gaps later.

Suggestion: Try writing a different chunk than you've been working on, or even go to the challenge section for a bunny and work on another piece for a while, then come back to the one you're stuck on. Sometimes we get blocked because we just need a break.

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Sommer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: a little stuck Reply with quote

TariElensar wrote:
I am writing my first story and I'm onto my fifth chapter but I have really bad writer's block! I think it's probably because I'm not overkeen on the story.

All the advice given above is good and sound and should definitely be taken into account, but I just wanted to add that, if you're not keen on the story, why not just scrap it and start something new? Maybe you'll never go back to it because your heart never really was in it, or maybe during the writing of something else, an idea will strike you and suddenly what was meant to happen in this story you're writing now will make sense and you will have renewed passion for it. Who knows? What I can say for certain is: if you're not keen, don't force it. Readers can tell when an author doesn't even like or believe in his or her own story, and boy is it not pleasant.

Good luck!
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything everyone else has said is good advice but I'd suggest getting someone else to read it and advise you. I have been lucky enough to have a few great friends and betas that will tell me flat out whats working and whats not. I've had to scrap whole chunks or change directions completely because it wasn't working. If your heart isn't in it, it also helps to read it over again and see if you're feeling it again or read the reviews to see what people liked, etc. ALOT of times its temporary. I've had blocks on stories that lasted six months because of RL issues affecting me so my creativity was way down. Sometimes the first few chapters just pour out of you and then BAM you hit the wall and have to slow down. The first story I wrote was 20 some chapters and I did it in a month. Okay it was pure and total crap and unfit for anyone to ever read but it just flowed out of me. Now that I care more about the quality, it DOES take longer to write things. Also I have to actually research things instead of saying 'Oh screw canon!'. The worst and best in the world is discovering HoME (Histories of Middle Earth) Its a wealth of information and spawns many new ideas but now I know about it, I have to check and make sure that nothing in my stories goes directly against the books AND HoME if I want to stick with canon or even write something that people don't roll their eyes at.

However, if time goes by and you're still not feeling the story, don't stress yourself to finish it. I have one story that will forever be a WIP I think because I have given up on the muse for that one. I grew as a writer over the course of the story and also became more interested in other aspects of Tolkien's works so that story just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm not going to finish it subpar just to be done with it (although I had considered it just to give it closure)

Have you tried writing other stories as well? Alot of us write multiple stories at the same time. Also the drabble challenges are fun to write and don't take you too far away from the core of your main story.

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: