Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Hello! Newbie wondering if I should post a fic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dulcinea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Hello! Newbie wondering if I should post a fic Reply with quote

Hi! My name is Candace and I am new to open scrolls. I have been trolling around for a little over a month now enjoying the stories here. I am not new to fanfic. I have been into Jane Austen fanfic for a while and am posting a story on a few JA sites. But I also love LOTR and Tolkien and have loved the stories here so much.

I was wondering if I could get advice on posting a story. I remember reading a post where someone put out the idea of a challenge where a character of another ethnicty were to be introduced and they were supposed to be beautiful or attractive in some other way because of what made them ethnic. This struck a chord with me because I was always bummed out by the lack of browness in middle earth among the races of men and elves. I mean, orcs are sort of brown and wild men and southerlings (sp) are described as sort of tan but then they are all bad guys. So, I thought of a story of a kingdom of brown skinned curly/kinky haired men who lived sort of isolated (like Lorien elves or hobbits). I am really excited about it. But, I am not Tolkien scholar, having only read LOTR and part of The Hobbit. I don't know elvish or all the particulars of the eldar and have a basic grasp of middle earth geography. Does one need to know how to tell jokes in Quenya in order to craft a good Tolkien story?
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... hi Hello

There are always the fascinating Black Numenorean's to write about. Dark elves doesn't mean dark skinned elves unfortunately, but I think you could see if the Black Numenorean's (who are incredibly interesting) a try to remain within canon. I think you can also have loads of fun with their incarnation as the Corsairs. They are noble, have (if I am not mistaken) just as much as royal blood in their veins as Aragorn and his line...

I personally don't believe in strict bad and good guys (there is a fantastic citation by Faramir about this too), so who is to say that the Haradrim and Southron's (or Swarty Men if you want to write First Age things) are pure evil. In their culture they are the good guys... imho of course.

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
Dulcinea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Rhapsody. I was looking at maps the other day trying to find a good place to locate my made up kingdom and thought about Harad until I read in the appendix to LOTR about who settled there. I think focusing on them post-war would fit better with the ideas I was throwing around as well. Thanks Smile
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello! Newbie wondering if I should post a fic Reply with quote

Dulcinea wrote:
Hi! My name is Candace and I am new to open scrolls. I have been trolling around for a little over a month now enjoying the stories here. I am not new to fanfic. I have been into Jane Austen fanfic for a while and am posting a story on a few JA sites. But I also love LOTR and Tolkien and have loved the stories here so much.

I was wondering if I could get advice on posting a story. I remember reading a post where someone put out the idea of a challenge where a character of another ethnicty were to be introduced and they were supposed to be beautiful or attractive in some other way because of what made them ethnic. This struck a chord with me because I was always bummed out by the lack of browness in middle earth among the races of men and elves. I mean, orcs are sort of brown and wild men and southerlings (sp) are described as sort of tan but then they are all bad guys. So, I thought of a story of a kingdom of brown skinned curly/kinky haired men who lived sort of isolated (like Lorien elves or hobbits). I am really excited about it. But, I am not Tolkien scholar, having only read LOTR and part of The Hobbit. I don't know elvish or all the particulars of the eldar and have a basic grasp of middle earth geography. Does one need to know how to tell jokes in Quenya in order to craft a good Tolkien story?

Hi there!
First of all, if you're worried about canon and such before posting a story, maybe an idea would be to enlist the help of a beta? There are people on the site who can give advice on languages, geography, canon etc, and there is a dedicated beta thread in the forum. Just put a post on saying that you're looking for help with the canon details rather than grammar etc if that's what would be of use.

Other idea, if you write your story and come across something you're not so sure of, post a question on the forum here. There's experts on most areas of Tolkien canon about this place, and if they don't know the answer, they probably know where it can be found.

Being really honest, when I started writing Tolkien fanfic, it was years since I'd read the books. The movies really kicked me off, and I had no real idea about most of it. I learned as I went along, researching particular areas as I did particular stories. I still know nothing about Hobbits. Wink

As for different ethnicities, it is an interesting idea. There's not a great deal of fic featuring the easterlings or southrons or corsairs, and I'm certain not all of them were evil. It'd be really interesting to see a story from the point of view of an 'ordinary' person from one of those races.

But whatever you choose to do, I hope you enjoy writing LOTR fic and being a part of the site. If you've any questions, don't hesitate to post them and we'll do our best to help out Very Happy

SW

saeedkhatri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: buy assignment Reply with quote

Thanks for your post. Iíve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, Iíll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. buy assignment
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: