Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Sauron religion?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
siva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Sauron religion? Reply with quote

I lent all my books out ages ago but now I have this idea brewing and I can't check it for canon backing.

I'm sure in one of the books there is a reference (maybe it was the Black Númenóreans? ) to a priest or religion of/surrounding Sauron.

Or have I imagined the whole thing?
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question ... it rings a bell but I'm afraid I can't pin down a reference. Sorry.

Anybody else?

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
Haleth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed out a huge answer but it got eaten.

Here's a summary.

The last king of Numenor, Ar-Pharazon, invaded Middle-earth and took Sauron prisoner. Within three years, Sauron had gone from prisoner to respected councillor.

He advised Ar-Pharazon, who was terrified of death, that he would be immortal if he ruled the Undying Lands. This was the real reason the Valar had imposed the Ban on sailing West; they were afraid the Numenoreans would conquor Aman.

Sauron convinced Ar-Pharazon there was a good Vala who wanted to help him and his people gain immortality, but the evil Valar had exiled him to the Void. The entire history of the Elder Days was rewritten with Morgoth and his allies as the good guys standing firm against the evil Valar and their henchmen, the Elves.

A temple was built to Morgoth. The first thing burned upon it was Nimloth, the White Tree of Numenor. Once that was ashes, they started to look for something else to set on fire. Numenoreans who refused to follow the new religion and prisoners of war captured in Middle-earth were preferred.

This continued until the entire island of Numenor was drowned.

I hope this helps.

References. The Return of the King, Appendix A.

The Silmarillion, The Alkallabeth

Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haleth wrote:

Damnit I hate it the Gods sink your island. Evil or Very Mad It really ruins your day. It reminds me of the Battleship game. "You sank my Island!" Shocked And Manwe is sitting there, chuckling, thinking to himself 'Check and Mate'

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:
Haleth wrote:

Damnit I hate it the Gods sink your island. Evil or Very Mad It really ruins your day. It reminds me of the Battleship game. "You sank my Island!" Shocked And Manwe is sitting there, chuckling, thinking to himself 'Check and Mate'

ROFL ROFL

owww Laughing

In HOME 12, there is also a chapter set in the 4th age, The New Shadow. This also deals with a mysterious and dark cult surfacing. Then there are Alatar and Pallando (who have very alternate names or so it seems: Morinehtar and Rómestámo (Darkness-slayer and East-helper)), the Blue Wizards who disappeared in the East.

From POME:

The 'other two' came much earlier, at the same time probably as Glorfindel, when matters became very dangerous in the Second Age.(26) Glorfindel was sent to aid Elrond and was (though not yet said) pre-eminent in the war in Eriador.(27) But the other two Istari were sent for a different purpose. Morinehtar and Romestamo.(2Cool Darkness-slayer and East-helper. Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they failed) and to cause [? dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West.

At the words in the citation from this text in Unfinished Tales (p. 394) 'Of the other two nothing is said in published work save the reference to the Five Wizards in the altercation between Gandalf and Saruman' my father wrote: 'A note made on their names and functions seems now lost, but except for the names their general history and effect on the history of the Third Age is clear.' Conceivably he was thinking of the sketched-out narrative of the choosing of the Istari at a council of the Valar (Unfinished Tales p. 393), in which the Two Wizards (or 'the Blue Wizards', Ithryn Luin) were named Alatar and Pallando.

Citation comes from: History of Middle-Earth, book 12, the Peoples of Middle Earth, XIII. Last Writings. Of Glorfindel, Cirdan, and other matters. The Five Wizards.

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
SilvaraDragontear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:
Haleth wrote:

Yes isn't horrible when they do that. Here you have slaved to get everything up to a standard worthy of a powerful Lord/Lady if it's lordship of dark or light isn't really important, whats important is that out of nowhere this godlike being comes along and shout heaten and sinks your country beneth the waves of the ocean and in the process they kill alot of innocent people that only do what their lord or lady tell them to do.
And for what, to get rid of one measly lord/lady that probably will survive in some way to spite the god once again.
SilvaraDragontear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they call us Dark Ladies/Lords evil.
Celina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this post!! it was great reading this! keep posting!! i would like to receive more info on this!! Stay connected! Voyance gratuite par téléphone.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: