Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

So where did the ring bearers settle after sailing west?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallingIntoStrangers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: So where did the ring bearers settle after sailing west? Reply with quote

Okay I hope I explain this well..

Does anyone know, either for a fact or conjecture based on the writing of Tolkien, where in the undying lands did everyone settle down after gettting there?

Where did Frodo, Bilbo and eventually Sam and even Gimli if indeed he went there, live until they died? Was it on Tol Eressea or on the mainlaind, and in waht town or city...

And what about Galadriel and Elrond, and eventually Celeborn. etc... Was Galadriel allowed back into the Blessed Realm of Valinor or would she have stayed in Avallone, on Tol Eressea?

And where would you arrive first when entering the bent world (is that right)? would the ships first have docked on Eressea and then you'd go from there, or would you got to Alqualonde first? Would the ships then be dismantled?

And Gandalf, would he have revertd back to his Maia state once there? Is he tangible and visible in that state? What do you think he would look like if he were?

Would, wherever Galadriel stayed have been similar to Lothlorien in Middle Earth? Are Elrond and Celebrant with her or elsewhere?

If no one knows for sure that's okay... but I would like to hear others opnions on the matters if there are no facts...

Also, for all teh various mortals who have been allowed there over the years by fate or accident, would they also have landed on Eressea first or the mainland? And where would they have been allowed to live out their life? Would they be granted any access to any place or information? Where would they have been buried? Are all mortals who have died there been buried in the same place?

Something to think about on one of those days I have had too much sugar....

Thanks guys!

Jula

Ithryn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case someone is still reading this thread, I believe all the non-elves who went to the Undying Lands, went to and resided in Tol Eressea, the island off Valinor's east coast. The whole premise of the downfall of Numenor was that the last king dared to set foot on Valinor proper, a thing forbidden to man, and was destroyed.

IMHO, Tol Eressea seems to be kind of neutral territory for elves, men and others i.e. dwarves, who are permitted to reach the Undying Lands, re: Eriol and the Cottage of Lost Play in The Book(s) of Lost Tales. It seems to me elves can nip over to Tol Eressea from Aman for a visit, but those not elves or Valar cannot cross to Aman.

Anyway, I have another question: at the end of Return of the King, Celeborn doesn't sail west with Galadriel, but eventually moves to Imladris with his grandsons. Did he eventually go to the West? and Why didn't he go with Galadriel? This is perplexing. Any answers, speculations? Thanks.
lissaselves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ithryn wrote:
Anyway, I have another question: at the end of Return of the King, Celeborn doesn't sail west with Galadriel, but eventually moves to Imladris with his grandsons. Did he eventually go to the West? and Why didn't he go with Galadriel? This is perplexing. Any answers, speculations? Thanks.

I don't recall reading much about it, but found this in HoME IX, The Epilogue (Sam speaking to his daughter Elanor in March 1436):" .. I think Celeborn is still happy among his trees, in an Elvish way. His time hasn't come, and he isn't tired of his land yet. When he is tired, he can go."

It sounds like he was to some extent bound to his land. He probably would also have felt responsible for those of his people who chose to stay behind in Lórien for good. And acc. to the Laws & Customs, married Elves didn't mind being parted for long periods of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
pocerir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different sites that are comprising of numerous information that is essential. In my opinion, just visit this site assignmentmasters review and you will see the better results.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: