Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

BSG The Final Episode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haleth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: BSG The Final Episode Reply with quote

The final episode aired here last night. What did everyone think?
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*****tons of spoilers*****

I've been disappointed with the last several seasons, honestly, but the final episode was pretty decent: good action/battles, nice emotion moments, a couple of places where they were seriously trying to get me to cry (and if they hadn't spent the better part of the last two seasons tearing down these characters and making them into not-heroes, I just might have done it). I didn't get the reason for the flashbacks and could have just as soon done without them. They felt like filler.

I loved Earth.

I'm still annoyed that they went with the easy (but still oblique) answer on Starbuck's very good question: "What am I?"

And oh-thank-you-writers for saving Helo. That scene with him and Athena and Hera at the end redeems a lot of other junk. For me, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Haleth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****SPOILER ALERT****

I wrote a long rant then removed it without posting.

The I wrote a shorter rant which is just my opinion. I don't mean to offend any BSG fans.

I didn't like the final episodes.

It was extremely disappointing. The CGI of the big battle very well done but it didn't distract me from the fact that, with the outcome obvious, there was no tension. Lots of things getting shot, but no tension.

The first half hour was meaningless flashbacks. The last half hour was pointless followups. At least there was symmetry.

The climax was flat, the big reveal was dull and the idea that everyone would abandon their all of their technology and knowledge in favour of a adopting a hunter-gatherer lifestyle (almost certain suicide of a slow, lingering variety) was absolutely unbelievable.

The only bright spots were Ander's pectoral muscles. I probably annoyed my husband by saying as much several times but dang, they were nice.

If this was the best thing on TV it's no wonder I don't watch TV.

Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all offended. Frankly, I so loved the first season that I have kept watching ever since, even though heckling BSG has become more the norm around my household than fanning it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dolarabee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally caught up with the finale today. Haven't really had time to ponder and digest this so beware of this brain dump:

Been disappointed with the last few seasons too. The first one was so almost perfect! I suppose it would have been hard to deliver anything better than that in subsequent seasons... I dunno.

There were a few highs these seasons, mainly due to Bill and Madam President, but on the whole, I found it rather frustrating and a little pretentious. Still, in my eyes, in terms of pretentious, it was still a whole lot better than Star Trek... Hiding behind the sofa Trekkies might shoot me for this but yeah...

This last one... well, totally annoyed Gaius not only survived but ended up being some kind of angel... but immensely elated Helo made it!

Shed a tear again for Roslyn, just like I did the previous episode.

And I'm with you both on the flashbacks. While it showed us a bit of what those folks used to be (and how much they haven't changed) - I thought it was uneven since it didn't span all the 'main' players and didn't really have its place in this last episode. Well, not that it didn't have its place but it messed with the pace and the tension.

Starbuck's end felt a bit like a cop-out but I do like the mystical taste it leaves behind. That's something this series always had... leap of faith, religious beliefs, deities, one true god and whatever else.

And Haleth, I too am not convinced people, after all they'd been true, would have agreed to do without the little comforts they had.

Pecs aside, I thought Sam rocked as Galactica's hybrid. Yay!

/brain_dump

I'll think I'll miss that show but I'm already getting my Helo fix with Dollhouse... Twisted Evil

do.

~ Daniel Bélanger
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: