Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:
So Dis was dissed? Very Happy

You crack me up. ROFL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. See what too much research can do to an otherwise impeccable memory? Laughing

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Haleth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a theory somewhere that Tom Bombadil was the embodiment of the spirit of the countryside. The theory went that Tom was inspired by Tolkien's deep love for the English countryside where the author grew up and which he watched being destroyed as the cities expanded outwards.
Whether this makes him a maia or a vala or something entirely new that doesn't appear anywhere else is beyond me.
This idea appeals to me because different non-urban places have their own individual 'feel'. Tolkien simply personified this 'feel' in Tom Bombadil.

Sulriel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haleth wrote:
I heard a theory somewhere that Tom Bombadil was the embodiment of the spirit of the countryside. The theory went that Tom was inspired by Tolkien's deep love for the English countryside where the author grew up and which he watched being destroyed as the cities expanded outwards.
Whether this makes him a maia or a vala or something entirely new that doesn't appear anywhere else is beyond me.
This idea appeals to me because different non-urban places have their own individual 'feel'. Tolkien simply personified this 'feel' in Tom Bombadil.

Certainly not a Maia or he couldn't have played with the ring like that.

Sirannon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it suggested somewhere, that he was an embodiment of Eru, which sorta makes sense, I guess. Primarily since much of Christianity in his work. In that sense Tom could be Eru made flesh, like Jesus was. How the whole Trinity thing fits in, I can't explain.

Secondly I doubt even the Valar could or would deal with the ring in such a effortless and careless manner. I can't remember who said it in the council of Elrond, but the argument is like this: that not even the earth is impervious to Saurons abuse. I think he expresses it like the earth groanes under his dominion, which is a counter argument to the whole earth spirit idea, I guess.

"All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom." - Albert Einstein
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: