Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

writing horses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sulriel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: writing horses Reply with quote

I had an article posted here: http://visionforwriters.com/visionjoom/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=194&Itemid=180

it's only going to be in the 'current' issue until march 2013, but it should be available as part of the archive after that but i'm not sure the link will be the same.

this article is just an overview (i was limited to 2000 words which is really hard on such a broad topic), but i'm happy to answer any questions, if i can, or hopefully at least point you in a good direction.

NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo! I love it when you show up talking horses. (bookmarks article)

Idea: I've introduced a new horse in the Gamling/Morwen stuff. She just kinda came out of the blue b/c I wrote Charlie having a corner crack that got bad enough he had to be left in Gondor. She's essentially heartbroken that her Rider died on the Pelennor, but if she decides that Gamling is her "person", what would somebody expect in her first meeting with Charlie? I don't know the body language horses use with each other, and very little of what they use with humans. But we've got an intact stallion meeting a mare who isn't in any kind of breeding mood, and they both think of Gamling as "their" human. If I were introducing dogs in that scenario, I'd expect certain body postures, sets of ears and tail, vocalizations, etc. so I'm guessing horses would do similar. I've just never seen it. Any ideas?

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Sulriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what an awesome situation! ... you have a lot of moving parts.

if the mare has decided Gamling is "hers", then she could be protective of him and aggressive to the stallion. and not just him, but dogs and maybe even small children. Wink

my MIREE is very protective of me and it's actually a problem because she tends to be horse-aggressive about it and of course that's not acceptable in public. Sad

the stallion isn't going to care that the mare his claiming his person, he's just going to want to get to know her.

have you already established individual personalities for the horses? if you could point me to some snips, i could probably be more help.

her first meeting with G is going to be more of a "hey! there you are, glad you're back" more than a first meeting / getting to know you kind of thing.

that has happened out here a couple of times, my mare LUNIL lives with a guy - his wife fostered a retired mare of mine and Lunil just came up out of the pasture to Terry and was like "Hey. There you are." - like they'd been together their whole lives.

check here: http://bluesuel.blogspot.com/2007/03/mare-ears.html and here: http://bluesuel.blogspot.com/2008/01/badmare.html for some "mare ear" photos and "bossy mare" photos.

your girl isn't going to back up to the stallion (unless she's running back kicking) because he would take it as an invitation, but it still might give you some ideas.

Sulriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>if the mare has decided Gamling is "hers", then she could be protective of him and aggressive to the stallion. and not just him, but dogs and maybe even small children.

to clarify .. this could intially be very pronounced, but this is something that is likely to be a problem all along the way if she has a very strong personality.

NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far she comes across as just very sad and "hang dog," going through the motions because somebody saddled her; theoretically I'm basing that on a lot of the owner surrendered dogs I've encountered doing small fuzzy rescue... forlorn, maybe feeling like a failure for not protecting their person. I get the feeling, though, that she's a bit of a firecracker under the sadness of it all, or just a spoiled pain in the butt.

Charlie's a well-established character; a bigger stallion, generally pretty even tempered, smart enough to know treats come from saddlebags and that he's big enough to push Gamling around if he really wants, but he has bad feet/hooves. At one point he had Enough of this Shit during Morwen's riding lesson and laid down, rolled her right out of the saddle, stood back up and went for a drink. There's not a mean bone in him, the idea being that even intact, if he were a war-horse, he couldn't go off bucking at every little thing without being a danger to himself and other horses plus their riders. (If he were flighty, he'd have likely been gelded years ago, but he must be intact for the ending I see coming for the series.)

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Sulriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:
So far she comes across as just very sad and "hang dog," going through the motions because somebody saddled her; theoretically I'm basing that on a lot of the owner surrendered dogs I've encountered doing small fuzzy rescue... forlorn, maybe feeling like a failure for not protecting their person. I get the feeling, though, that she's a bit of a firecracker under the sadness of it all, or just a spoiled pain in the butt.

in that case, the first time they meet, she might just walk up to him, heave a big sign and place her head against his chest/in his arms.

his accepting her would give her purpose and confidence and she could grow/heal into your firecracker along the way - surprising him at times.

I like Charlie a lot, it's a shame about his feet, but i've love that you've written him that way. it adds a lot to the story IMO.

Sulriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen my Sūlnūr short? I'm not sure it's posted anywhere, but it might help give you some ideas or nudges in one direction or another. I'll see if i can find it.
Sulriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulriel wrote:
Have you seen my Sūlnūr short? I'm not sure it's posted anywhere, but it might help give you some ideas or nudges in one direction or another. I'll see if i can find it.

...added it here. it's old, and not exactly what you are doing with your mare, but it may give you some ideas.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: