Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Bakshi version

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leila

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Bakshi version Reply with quote

Never watch!!!! DO NOT WATCH!!! I just bought it a few days ago and am watching it as I type! OH, THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's only just got to Bilbo's Birthday Party and I'm already hating it; definintly dreading when Legolas shows up! I know there going to make him look HORRIBLE IT'S HORRIBLE!!!!!!!! A WASTE OF $9.12!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Gandalf just took the ring from Frodo to examine it. UGH!!!! IT'S HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shocked

Leila

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam just showed up. HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOORRRRRRRRRRIBBBBBBBBLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leila

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up. Watch extended version first one now. Legolas showed up and his hair was shorter than Aragorn's!!!! He kinda looked like a teenager. Seeing Orlando, Viggo, etc. is so nice after that movie!!!!!
Leila

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Wal-Mart will take it back.....
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the Lord of the Rings or the Return of the King? In the animated RoTK, at least you have really inspiring musical numbers like "Where there's a whip, there's a way". Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Leila

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord of the Rings

Viv wrote:
In the animated RoTK, at least you have really inspiring musical numbers like "Where there's a whip, there's a way". Rolling Eyes

Question Exclamation Question Exclamation
That's one movie I certainly never wish to see!!! I think I'm going to try to return the one I have. I would rather watch Orlando/Legolas be torturred to death than that movie. And that's saying something......possibly.

Haleth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Bakshi version Reply with quote

Horrible doesn't really do it justice. Appalling, ghastly, unspeakable and nightmarish come a little closer.

I can't ever remember what Legolas or any of the others looked like in that movie. Maybe it's just been blocked out by the trauma of the entire experience.

To each there own, but my eyebrows always get lost in my bangs whenever people go on about how they prefer Bakshi's version to Jackson's.

Leila

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bakshi version Reply with quote

Haleth wrote:
Horrible doesn't really do it justice. Appalling, ghastly, unspeakable and nightmarish come a little closer.

I can't ever remember what Legolas or any of the others looked like in that movie. Maybe it's just been blocked out by the trauma of the entire experience.

To each there own, but my eyebrows always get lost in my bangs whenever people go on about how they prefer Bakshi's version to Jackson's.

I completely agree with you. Horrible will never do it justice. It's torture, living Hell, watching it has to be worse than being chased by a Balrog, etc., etc.

I didn't see Gimli, Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn, Haldir, and probably a lot more I just haven't thought of yet. Did see the four Hobbits, Aragorn, Gandalf, and Legolas. Yikes!

All I want to know is how anyone could like it, let alone think its better than Peter Jackson's version. I'm watching it just to get over seeing Bakshi's!!!!!

Hathor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Bakshi. There's an incensed rant from me on these forums somewhere...

It's quite good to watch as long as you're prepared to sit there and giggle. IF we fancy being objective:

It runs a little like Tolkien's greatest hits- you need to know the books or it won't make any sense.

The Elvish! So bad it burns.

Now, I'll be fair- the Nazgul still give me chills. It's the only effective part, although I do wonder why they walk like someones given them a firm kick in the groin.

The Balrog has fluffy slippers on. Really!

Watch the entire film (alas that I haven't seen the ROTK version...) and then you'll feel a much deeper love for both the books and the movie. I think I saw the Bakshi version when I was about six, though, and it seemed very cool back then. Ten years later, less fun. Smile

Owner of 'Just Another Hole' and Lindir, The Pretty Noldo Totty

Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis...
Roisin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember liking the animated Hobbit, but the other animated versions just look skeery. Shocked

Speaking of odd interpretations of character, I have a Middle Earth dictionary with a bizarre illustration of the Fellowship on the front. Aragorn is dressed like a pirate, and Legolas.....dear God, Legolas is wearing a short fur-trimmed parka which looks like something you would buy at Old Navy. In the Women's section. Shocked

Good dictionary, though.

Roisin
Panneth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is why Glorfindel is cut from the Bakshi and the Jackson adaptations? Talk about giving a guy a complex...
KhazarKhum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remeber sitting in the theater with a horsetrainer friend. When the Nazgul dismounted, she said:

"He's a guy! You'd walk like that, too, if you went riding bareback!"

khazar
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panneth wrote:
What I want to know is why Glorfindel is cut from the Bakshi and the Jackson adaptations? Talk about giving a guy a complex...

He's too pretty: Animators can't fathom it; human actors can't wear enough hair extensions or make-up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
linweseregon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on your guys. For us old ones this was all we had for a very long while. It was this or make do with your own imagination. I agree watching it now is pretty horrible - why has no one got any trousers/pants on. But I can still remember being really disappointed when it ended.
Hanasian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't ALL bad. Bakshi portrayed the Orcs really well. The 'Robin Hood' Strider, 'Faux-Viking' Boromir, and 'Disney Princess' Galadriel was a bit off, and Sam was a goofy looking thing. But then, it was the late 70's and this with the publication of the Silmarillion was the only new Tolkien Middle Earth events to come along.
The Free Company of Arnor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: