Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Gandalf the Girl up for adoption

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shanalir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Gandalf the Girl up for adoption Reply with quote

Well, after much deliberation, and endless time spent trying to figure out what to do with this next, I've decided to offer my Gandalf the Girl story idea up to anyone who can make a complete story out of the idea. I've lost all inspiration for it, and I really hate to just leave it unfinished. Right now, it's a series of drabbles about what it might have been like if Gandalf had been brought back to Middle Earth as a female after defeating the Balrog, and I'd love to continue it up to Gandaf's return to the Grey Havens, but I have no way of doing so. If anyone would like to check out the story, and take up the challenge, or even offer a suggestion or two to kick start my creativity again, I'd be very happy.

This link is to the first chapter.

http://www.openscrolls.net/fanfic/story.php?no=2038[/url]

Thanks to everyone for all the fun!
Shanalir

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating this to clarify/confirm a few things.

First, I will not be returning to this story. Period. As much fun as I was having with it, I can't bring myself to do anything more than look at it with fond nostalgia. It is up for adoption, and if I am contacted with ideas, I'll put them in the story description or make a chapter for them (if it's allowed, I'll need to double check the TOS) so that anyone who wants to continue or rewrite the story can use them.

Second, this story and my ideas, both, are up for adoption. This was a challenge-fic, so the base idea of a female Gandalf wasn't mine to begin with. If you like the general idea, but don't like everything I've done, or just want to use a couple of my ideas in a story of your own, go right ahead. I give blanket permission for any and all use. I would appreciate being acknowledged as a source or inspiration, but it's not necessary. Feel free to take anything I've done and use it for a different fandom, as well.

I am sorry to disappoint anyone who hoped I'd eventually return to it, but I do have a background reason for abandoning it.

I got into the LoTR fandom about three years before my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I'd only been active in the fandom (seeking out forums and fansites, etc.) about a month and a half when I got the news. I was in the last trimester of my first pregnancy, so I wound up relying on the fandom to keep my spirits up and my stress levels down. It helped, it really did. My dad had surgery and seemed to recover well, and I continued enjoying the fandom, and sharing ideas, and learning new things.

And then, right as I was getting ready to work on the last chapter I posted, my dad passed. The cancer had returned, and by the time they found out anything was wrong, he was in the hospital with hours to live.

When he passed, he took with him my muse and my ability to find comfort, solace, and even fun in this fandom. I'd been fighting depression, including some pretty nasty PPD, and when I lost him, I lost all interest in LoTR, the fandom, and about three other online and offline activities I'd been using to keep my spirits up. It's been over a decade, and while I find myself finally able to come back enough to reread a few of my favorite stories, the passion and excitement have been replaced by wistful fondness.

I'm not posting this for pity or sympathy, I'm only posting so that the information is here for anyone who may have wondered what happened, or who may have been watching this story.

TL:DR Personal issues/RL killed my muse and energy for the fandom, story is permanently abandoned/ 100% up for adoption.

Thanks to everyone for all the fun!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: