Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

The Beta Pool (Tolkien)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krazykataave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am offering to proofread/edit anything except Simil. stories., poetry and song fic. Just took a very long, extensive, course in Mistake free Grammar and Proofreading and don't want it to go to waste (which it will in about a day if not used.) Smile

Any rating is fine, any coupling, any character/creature/human/denizin of ME

Kat
Sulriel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: part time beta Reply with quote

I enjoy doing beta work, but don't have time for a full time relationship right now Wink and I miss it. Sad

~ If you have something short, or need a temp beta for a single chapter, leave me a PM. I can usually get a chapter back within a day or so.

My main downfall is grammar and punctuation so I'm not good at checking those things, but I enjoy working with characterization (development and consistency) and plotting (conflict, plot holes). I'm more knowledgeable with the Silm and HoME than LotR.

I can usually offer a writer choices to clean up and tighten up their writing. I can be gentle or ruthless -so you'll have to let me know what you want.

Any rating is fine, any het pairing, although I personally prefer canon-focused works, I can beta almost anything. (Although the scope of canon is much larger than most people give it credit for, but that's a soapbox that belongs on a different forum Smile ).

**added note: I do enjoy working with OCs, both OFC and OMC, I especially like working with weaving OCs and/or minor characters into canon events or situations. I know this is something a lot of betas shy away from and it may be an area where I can be more help.

Last edited by Sulriel on Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alatariel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I would like to offer by services. I'm fairly good at proofreading/editing but I also wouldn't mind helping out with plot development.

Things I will read:
-any rating, including NC-17

-canon-based fics focusing on Elves (esp. the ones that like to tackle the history and culture), Numenorean history fics, Gondor and Rohirrim fics.

-any topic. I don't have a problem with romance fics, and I have a liking for fics that explore things that aren't discussed in detail in canon

-any length

-The characters I like are Elladan and Elrohir, Gil-galad, Cirdan, Feanor and his sons, Turin, Glorfindel, Elendil, Isildur, Anarion, Legolas, Galadriel, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir and Boromir. Plus a bunch of first age elves I am probably forgetting...

-fics that challenge the reader to explore some the themes found in canon

Things I probably won't read (with exceptions):
-AUs, I just can't get past the fact Harry Potter managed to find himself in Middle-Earth even if Gandalf is a wizard...

-mary-sues and OCs. I have an exception here. If your mary-sue is not a bumbling maudlin woman but some form of a heroine with some kind of personality, then I would be happy to read your fic. As for OCs, I find that they have a tendency to be women and are paired with one of the main characters. I will read OC, but only if follows the rules on this site and the OC is not paired with someone who is already paired in canon.

-Hobbit or Dwarf fics

-young girls stumbling into Middle-Earth only to fall in love with some enchanting elf or handsome Dunedain...sorry.

Things I can help with, besides edits:
-Sindarin phrases. I can't transcribe whole sentences, but I can tell you if your phrase makes no sense at all.

-Quenya words

-Elvish History, especially during the first and second ages

-Numenorean History

-Genealogies

I can also make for a nice board that ideas can be bounced off of...

If you would like me to beta your fic just send me a PM or email me at ebrennie@gmail.com

Thanks!
Ivy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in!

I will beta just about anything, EXCEPT SLASH. I don't write it and I don't read it.

I tend to stick with the Legomances

Will beta any rating.

I've got about 2 years experience of beta reading as well as I'm the new editor of my school paper.

What I like primarily has to do with elves and stuff.

Especially if you're new to the field, I'd like to help you improve... and I flatter all the time! (it's part of the job!)

I get the job done, and I do it well. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sofia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never beta'd before but more than willing to take a shot at it.

*Tend to be a perfectionist so I can be a bit much sometimes

*I mainly write/read Legolas fics, (but also am interested in other elf-centered stories) or Legomances... don't have that much of a problem with mary-sues, or girl-falls-into-middle-earth.

* will read any rating (but not slash, please, though I don't think I need to worry about that on this site)

* I'm not that good with translation of the Elvish language, be it S. or Q.

* will proofread and edit and give suggestions and ideas

*generally send the chapter back in a few days of recieving it.

*can work through PM or email.

so feel free to give me a pm be it if your looking for a long term beta or a short term.
Isadora22
Account Deleted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a new member on the forum and I would like to have a beta work for my stories. I have one in English already finished and two in French already finished too from such a long time ago. Thanks in advance.

I would like beta reading for grammar and structure please.
My sotry is based on the Trilogy with some little allusions to the Silmarillions that I never read before.

ElennaElemirre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have been rather lax lately so I've decided to offer my services as a beta to anyone who may be looking for one.

To start off, stories that I will read:

*Anything below NC-17 (smut is not really my thing)

*Elf-centered fics generally, but also likes fics including any or all of the Nazguls, Sauron, and Morgoth.

*Anything involving First-Age & Second Age lore from the Silmarillion. I am fairly familiar with the book and give advice on names, obscure characters, character relationships/parentage, etc.

*Fics with good plot development (no PWP), can be any length.

*Genres: Romance, drama, angst, tragedy, Femme Fatale
---> Alternate universes: I myself write in that genre, but I find that it can be walking a thin line. So please, only AU fics that are plausible. Thanks.

*Crossovers: Harry Potter generally if it needs be. Conditions above applies.

*Modern day fics

*OCs are welcomed (I find them extremely interesting), but please read note about Mary-Sues below

Things I am not so keen about:

*Mary-sues. You know the ones I'm talking about. I will read mary-sues that are very well written, provided that (as Alatariel has already said) they are not paired with someone who is already paired in canon.

*I'm not interested in Hobbit or Dwarf pieces. Sorry guys, but they just can't hold my interest long enough. I will read them if it is only for grammar and spelling.

*Rohan set fics. Not that I don't like them, but I am not quite so familiar with the customs/cultures of Rohan enough to beta a piece on it.

* I'm not particularly good at Sindarin or Quenya, so if you need help with Elvish words, I can't help you.

In addition:

* I would be happy to help out with grammar, punctuation and spelling.

* Time-lines, genealogies of both LOTR and the Silmarillion

* Flow of poetry and verses, if you do have a poem or another in your fics.

* Plot and character development - I'll tell you what does and doesn't work.

*Character dialogue progressions

*First person point of views. I usually write in this format so I can help you with the inner workings of it.

*If it interests anyone, I also speak some French (not fluently, mind you, but you cannot live in Canada and not know some French) The level at which I am remains to be seen, but I can read and write it.

Stories will probably be returned within a week sent (at the latest). I am generally a fast worker so you need not worry.
So if anyone is interested, I would be happy to help you. You can PM me (preferable) but you can also reach me at: lilith-dae@hotmail.com

Happy writing!
theoceancalls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: beta Reply with quote

I do a lot of beta, but recently everyone's been finishing stories so I'm out of work at the moment Bawl
Cant STAND Mary Sues/ girl comes to ME, sorry. I prefer LOTR, fics, can be before or after the war of the ring. uh... not picky about plot, I generally don't read romances, so I can't really beta those for plot very well.
My English skills are excellent if I may boast, took GT and never got less than a 97, very conceited about it.
I think that's it... I'm flexible on ratings.
Note: I'm not very nice...

Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to ease back into betaing, so be nice.

Beta services include grammar, usage, style, flow, canon, characterisation, consistency, punctuation, and so on. Red ink runneth from my pen (electronically speaking), but I'm fully aware that authors will choose to take some of my advice and nix some of it. Won't hurt my feelings either way. It tickles me to no end when writers I beta for start doing such a kick-ass job on their own that they don't need me anymore.

I'll beta any rating, any level of Sue, any Tolkien sub-genre. In addition, I'm dying to read fic for Star Wars, Firefly, Farscape, Battlestar (new), X-Files, Heroes, Lost. Actually, most things --just ask in PM. I'm willing to look at Harry Potter fics, but my canon knowledge there is very read-the-books-just-once.

I don't really want to get into a betaing a 50-chapter novel. One-shots, drabbles, poems, and <20,000-word fics fit into my life better. Of course, if I fall in love with your characters, I'll badger you for updates until we're both mired in 100,000 words with no end in sight. In such a case, cheerleading services are included in original beta rate. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dolarabee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:
I'd like to ease back into betaing <...> Of course, if I fall in love with your characters, I'll badger you for updates until we're both mired in 100,000 words with no end in sight.

She's baaa-ack! Very Happy

do.

~ Daniel Bélanger
SHELBY

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MO has an incredible huge cooled fabricating that a serious bundle of stuff is documented in. Its to endeavor to keep the old lit. from embellishment and being lost later on!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: