Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

The Phantom of the Opera!!! **spoilers**

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: The Phantom of the Opera!!! **spoilers** Reply with quote

Oh my goodness!!!!! Shocked Saw Phantom of the Opera on Saturday evening and bawled my eyes out !!!! (Especially at the end of "All I Ask Of You" where Erik tears the rose, and also at the very end when he's alone with his monkey music box.) Bawl

The music is just so incredibly powerful and v.moving in parts Violin Music

.....and the costumes.....wowwwwww!!!! Very Happy In "Masquerade" the outfits are so lavish and the masks so beautiful. *now wants a black and white mask* Jester

IMO, the beginning is extremely well done and I love how they sweep over the destroyed Opera House and the cobwebs fly away and the chandelier is restored as we are taken back in time. Excellent!

Gerard Butler who plays Erik/Phantom I think was a wonderful choice, although I did think that he was a tad too handsome for the part - but hey, what the heck! It's Hollywood! lol! Oh, and Emmy Rossum was exactly how I hoped Christine would be portrayed too - gorgeous voice and extreme vocal range. *applauds*

So, my verdict? 8/10. Smile I would certainly go and see this a second time round.

~Forest
SecretKeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and I believe it's Raoul that places the music box at Christine's grave and the rose is from Erik with the ring around its stem. Aww...I know I cried after that scene, bawling!
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just got back from seeing it ten minutes ago. Having seen the stage show about ten times and having done work experience in Her Majesty's on the London production, I was all set to hate what they'd done with it, but then I read on IMDb that Gerard Butler was in it, and remembered drooling over him in Dracula 2001 Cool

I have to agree. The opening shot is fantastic. I also love the changes they made to the plot, ie having the chandelier fall after 'Past the Point of No Return' rather than 'All I Ask of You'. (and that Don Juan segment made me go a bit, well, *ahem*...) Laughing

Only thing was, I'm so used to seeing it live, at the end of each number I was having to hold back from applauding Very Happy

I started bawling at the final 'Down Once More' number and kept going to the finale, but then that bit has always been my favourite. By the time it got to pitiful creature of darkness...what kind of life have you known... I had tears rolling down Smile

I am such a big girl sometimes Rolling Eyes

sindohte

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the Phantom on Christmas Eve must be a trend because I just saw it as well. Since I never saw the stage production, I cannot compare between the two versions. However I have listened to the soundtrack upmteen million times since it first came out on Broadway. Simply beautiful to see the action to go along with the music that I have loved for so long.

"Past the Point of No Return" totally rocked. Nothing like Raoul watching his rival doing a darn good job of bogarting his fiancee, while her breasts are all a heaving and she's talking about bodies entwining and what not. I so wanted to scream at the screen - Dude, get a clue. The male lead has suddenly dropped 50 pounds, has a totally different singing voice, and Christine has gone all doe eyed.

All in all, I totally enjoyed every minute of it.

Roisin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it with Sind and my MIL. Wink

I've seen the stage version at least 2x, that I can remember. Hmmm I think the movie version has a certain immediacy that the stage version lacks; you can do close ups and other tricks that give the material a little more emotional resonance.

Having seen Patrick Wilson previously as a gay Mormon, I was pleasantly surprised at what a sexy Raoul he made. And Gerard Butler... Shocked Drool Bucket Where has HE been hiding?

I thought Emmy Rossum did a good job overall. My only minor complaint was that she always seemed to have her mouth open. I wanted to shout at someone to give her some nasal spray or something so she could breathe through her nose.

And the "pitiful creature of darkness" line always strikes me the wrong way a little, b/c I don't see Erik as pitiful, just very, very damaged.
Roisin
sindohte

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roisin wrote:

Thank goodness she was there or else I would have been making totally inappropriate comments of a NC-17 nature throughout the entire movie Twisted Evil Since I wanted to allow you the pretense that you have some slightly normal friends, I behaved myself and acted like an angel.

Quote:
I thought Emmy Rossum did a good job overall. My only minor complaint was that she always seemed to have her mouth open. I wanted to shout at someone to give her some nasal spray or something so she could breathe through her nose.

I agree that Emily did a good job overall with what was her first major role. I shall not comment on the mouth being open thing, because I am trying to be a good girl for today. However, my only complaint and also a minor one was that Christine only seemed to have two facial expressions - wide eyed innocent damsel and breast heaving sexually aware vixen. It was like the poor girl flipped a light switch Shocked

SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindohte wrote:
Roisin wrote:

Thank goodness she was there or else I would have been making totally inappropriate comments of a NC-17 nature throughout the entire movie Twisted Evil Since I wanted to allow you the pretense that you have some slightly normal friends, I behaved myself and acted like an angel.

Quote:

I agree that Emily did a good job overall with what was her first major role. I shall not comment on the mouth being open thing, because I am trying to be a good girl for today. However, my only complaint and also a minor one was that Christine only seemed to have two facial expressions - wide eyed innocent damsel and breast heaving sexually aware vixen. It was like the poor girl flipped a light switch Shocked

Did notice that actually Laughing

SecretKeeper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I saw the film at this promotional screening in Canada with some friends. We would sing some of the songs but people would like turn around and tell us to shut up.....I didn't sing I lip synched "All I Ask of You" only because I didn't want to get into trouble. *sigh* Anyway...I loved "All I Ask Of You" and the "Past of No Return" sequences....*drools*
FallingIntoStrangers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh you guys suck!!!! I am soooooo jealous!!!! It's not playing here yet... so freaking mad..... uuuuugggghhhhh... I am dying to see this movie....

pouts pouts pouts..... hate living in small dinky ass-backwards town....

rat bastards...

I have waited sooooo long to see this version of Phantom, since I can't go see it on Broadway or on stage ever... Personally I dont' care if the singing isn't that great... cuz no one can top Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman.... I am sure I am gonna love it anyway and must own in on DVD and torture my husband with it (he hates musicals as all men do...)!

That and I need more things with GB in it to drool over... as I am sure we are all doing... heh heh heh...

Where has he been hiding you ask? In my basement... he escaped in 1997 to be in Mrs. Brown.... But. I will get him back..oh yes,... I will get him back....

PoweroftheBook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely loved, loved, loved it!

Quote:
Personally I dont' care if the singing isn't that great... cuz no one can top Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman....

Granted, Gerard Butler is not in Michael Crawford's league - but he more than makes up for it with that dramatic sexual magnetism. Apparently it was his first time singing any role, so I think he did quite well.

Did anyone else notice Christine's extreme reluctance to wade into the water at then end? Even when the Phantom passes right in front of her with the Punjab Lasso, intent on killing Raoul, she stops short at the water's edge. It's probably done for dramatic effect, but one has to wonder just how much she cares for Raoul if she can't sacrifice one pretty wedding dress in the Parisian sewers.

Just a thought.

Regards,

The Power of the Book Hello
SecretKeeper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How totally true. I read Susan Kay's book "Phantom" (I love this book you guys well next to Tolkein's stuff) and in a way she explains or at least spins off from the story of Erik. It's so amazingly sweet and interesting!
Eyborg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallingIntoStrangers: ALL men hate musicals, you say??? What kind of narrow-minded men are you hanging around with??? Surprised This is totally contrary to my experience... For instance, my dad still talks about when he went to see the Jesus Christ Superstar movie with my mom back in the early 70's, and how he loved it... Very Happy

Anyway, I'm waiting for this movie to come to my little island... it probably won't happen until January (or even February). I know a lot of the music (I borrowed the CD once), and I can't wait to see the real thing! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyborg wrote:
FallingIntoStrangers: ALL men hate musicals, you say??? What kind of narrow-minded men are you hanging around with??? Surprised This is totally contrary to my experience... For instance, my dad still talks about when he went to see the Jesus Christ Superstar movie with my mom back in the early 70's, and how he loved it... Very Happy

My dad didn't get to come to Phantom with us, as we went as a girlie day out, but he came to the stage show in London and Edinburgh and liked it, if I recall. Certainly he shares my second passion (besides LOTR) which is Les Miserables. I've seen it on stage 15+ times but I think he's been at least 5 times.

When I was at theatre school the musical theatre class was about 50-50 when it came to men and women if I remember rightly.

But I digress. Can't wait till next week till my next student loan payment comes in and I can go see the film again. Cool

FallingIntoStrangers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't know any men who would watch a musical. It's not they are narrow minded, they just don't like them cuz they're all comic book geeks. Especially my husband.... I am soooo tired of comic books and comic book movies... But he doesn't think I'm narrow minded for not liking that and for really liking period dramas and musicals....

Sure it irritates me that my husband has been ragging on POTO and Gerard Butler for the past few days cuz I am forcing him to go see it with me... but that's just the way he is.... And I pitched a fit when he took me to go see Blade.... So I guess we're even....!!!! He did buy me the soundtrack tonight....

Eyborg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallingIntoStrangers wrote:
I just don't know any men who would watch a musical. It's not they are narrow minded, they just don't like them cuz they're all comic book geeks. Especially my husband.... I am soooo tired of comic books and comic book movies... But he doesn't think I'm narrow minded for not liking that and for really liking period dramas and musicals....

Hmmmm... Smile I guess me & my mates are just old, or too arty-farty... hehe Very Happy
Where I live, it's mostly teenage boys who read comics (or rather, admit doing that). Or so it seems to be... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: