Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Distance from Rivendell to Mirkwood

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Distance from Rivendell to Mirkwood Reply with quote

I'm writing a story and what would be a pretty acurate time to travel (by horse) from Rivendell to Mirkwood? Is it like 2 weeks or a month? Please let me know what you think soon.
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sofia, I think its a lot closer than you think but for an accurate distance, Thur and Viv and Space will show up for that. This is why my story does alot of this:

They set out for blah blah, arriving in a timely manner.

SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Atlas of Middle Earth, as the Nazgul flies it's about 300 miles from Rivendell to the heart of Mirkwood (so it depends where in Mirkwood you're going, I suppose).

Going from the Atlas again, it does give the journey time for The Hobbit, and from that it seems like (discounting the brief stay at Beorn's) it took just under 2 months to get to the Easternmost side of Mirkwood and Thranduil's halls.

So remembering that Bilbo and co hit a lot of obstacles on the way, you can argue that it would take less time. Also if you were on horseback all the way, that would bring your journey time down again. I'm not really up on how fast horses can go as it's years since I worked in the stables.

Don't know if any of that is at all helpful

Thuriniel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the Old Pass and using the Old Forest Road, the distance is of about 400 miles.

Are you going on foot or by horse?

Edited: You're going by horse ... Rolling Eyes. I wonder where I left my head today ...

ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, they left, they arrived some time later, having encountered little trouble on the road. Dang, I thought Mirkwood was way closer, which brings me a dilemma, how far is it from Mithlond to Rivendale? And how long by horse? I was thinking two or three weeks, do I have to edit now?
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Cirdan taking 21 days from Imladris to Mithlond written down in my notes for 'Alliance'. That was worked out again using the atlas thingy.
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank goodnes, I thought I was going to have to leave Glorfindel naked and waiting to go back and rewrite two whole chapters. Poor Glory.
Thuriniel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a map in my edition of the trilogy, it's a fold out. All I need to do is get the ruler out and measure the distance.

But I think I'm putting the Atlas on my wish list for my b-day Very Happy ! Sounds pretty handy!

SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettoelleth wrote:
Thank goodnes, I thought I was going to have to leave Glorfindel naked and waiting to go back and rewrite two whole chapters. Poor Glory.

Yeah, I mean naked Glorfindel...who would want that prolonged...certainly not me... Twisted Evil Laughing (did that sound convincing?)

ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceWeavil wrote:
ghettoelleth wrote:

Yeah, I mean naked Glorfindel...who would want that prolonged...certainly not me... Twisted Evil Laughing (did that sound convincing?)

And moaning? Writhing? Do balrog slayers writhe?

Off Topic! I really need to get this chapter finished before I get arrested.

SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thuriniel wrote:
I have a map in my edition of the trilogy, it's a fold out. All I need to do is get the ruler out and measure the distance.

But I think I'm putting the Atlas on my wish list for my b-day Very Happy ! Sounds pretty handy!

Mine is full of little bits of card with the scale copied onto it, so I could work out the distances for Alliance, since I had a messenger running all over ME for the first couple of chapters. Cirdan et al coming back from Mordor at the end of the Last Alliance took me a whole day to work out; four pages worth of notes, and I think it was mentioned in one sentence in the actual fic Rolling Eyes

SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettoelleth wrote:
SpaceWeavil wrote:
ghettoelleth wrote:

And moaning? Writhing? Do balrog slayers writhe?

Off Topic! I really need to get this chapter finished before I get arrested.

Depends what sort of oil-based substance they're covered in...

Mind you baby oil or something would be flammable...probably not a good idea for a balrog slayer now I come to think of it

ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color wine does one serve with Noldorian balrog slayer flambe? Okay, I'll stop now, sorry sofia, I hijacked your thread. Embarassed
Thuriniel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sofia,

Correction from my post:

The distance from Rivendell to Mirkwood (dwelling of the Wood-elves, not the forest itself) is of about 500 miles, taking the High Pass and then Old forest Road, then turning North and following the river.

As I said before, I don't know where my head is today ... I think I'll retire before I do more harm than good Laughing . Gonna go take a nap Sleep ... I sure need it!

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far is the easiest part; how long and when are the big variables.

Is this 3rd age? Has the high pass over the MIsty Mountains been cleared of Orcs? Is the Old Forest Road safe to travel? If these are Elves from Rivendell do they have Thranduil's permission to use the Elven road? Are there still spiders? What time of year is it? is there snow in the High Pass? etc. etc. etc. BlahBlah

But, first things first, how far:
There are three possible routes, all of which start by going over the High Pass of the Misty Mountains to the Ford of the Anduin south of The Carrock. Using the Atlas I make that to be a journey of 150 miles.

Then, if going by the Old Forest Road it's 250 miles across Mirkwood, 90 up river to Laketown, and 40 more upriver, again, to Thranduil's Caves.

TOTAL (A): 530 miles or 177 leagues

If taking the Elven road, north of the Old Forest Road you have to ride up the East side of the River, as Thorin's party does: 100 miles to the Forest Gate.

From the Forest Gate to Thranduil's Caves: 200 miles.

TOTAL (B): 450 miles or 150 leagues

If you were just to ride more or less directly north east across Mirkwood by no particular road I estimate that to be about 230 miles.

TOTAL (C): 380 miles or 127 leagues.

Now, how fast.

This is the hard part. The Atlas, again, estimates Thorin's party makes 4 mi/day in the mountains even with Gandalf as their guide. Now, these are Dwarves not Elves, going with some stealth in early Summer. Across Mirkwood they make 6.7 miles/day. TOO SLOW! sorry can't be more helpful here; not a mountaineerer.

Now, in ROTK Legolas tells Pippin that the Grey Company, riding with great haste day and night, make 90 leagues in the better part of 5 days, or around 20 leagues a day. So, maybe a tourist on a jaunty ride in daylight might make a casual speed of 15 leagues a day? If so, then the overland bits alone, forest and field would take:

(A) 8 days
(B) 6.5 days
(C) 5 days

Assuming no obstructions.

Also at a loss for the rate of speed rowing (?) up river.

I just did a little figuring like this for Krazykaatave, so if this is at all useful, thank her.

Reading I am such a book wonk!

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad

Last edited by NancyBrooke on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: