Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

For Legolas/Orlando fans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Eruanna



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Dor-Cuarthol, betwixt the Bow and the Helm...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: For Legolas/Orlando fans Reply with quote

Dont' know if this was posted but:

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/01/people.bloom.bosworth.ap/

He's a love but not my favourite elf, BTW. Wink

--Eruanna

_________________
"I have returned from the Northern Fences," said the Elf, "and I am sent now to be your guide again."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thuriniel



Joined: 29 Jul 2003
Posts: 665
Location: Watching the purple sky fly over me ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the disproportional pics they chose, if she opens her mouth just a little bit, she might be able to swallow him whole Laughing !
_________________
~ boe an phân pedi ‘lam dadui ~ Reading
~ everyone should speak a second language ~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eruanna



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Dor-Cuarthol, betwixt the Bow and the Helm...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Too bad... Reply with quote

Too bad they broke up. I was just hoping they would have something long-term. Oh, well, Hollywood romances...just like the New York minute... Sad

I understand the stunning young Mr. Bloom is a very spiritual Buddhist. Good for him! Smile

--Eruanna

_________________
"I have returned from the Northern Fences," said the Elf, "and I am sent now to be your guide again."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ellisk



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Icon by Alassante! Wow!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Too bad... Reply with quote

Eruanna wrote:

I understand the stunning young Mr. Bloom is a very spiritual Buddhist. Good for him! Smile

--Eruanna


Indeed? Do you know where you read that? I didn't know that and being Buddhist myself I find it very interesting.

_________________
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Ultima ratio regum (The Last Argument of Kings)--engraved on all French cannons by order of Louis XIV
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eruanna



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Dor-Cuarthol, betwixt the Bow and the Helm...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Buddhist boy Reply with quote

Orlando was formally indoctrinated in London, I believe in late December or January. It was very low-key and not intended to be a publicity stunt. Some celebrities make it a real agenda. Do a Google search.

I am so glad he did not do this. Evidently the man is very spiritual. Very Happy

He is a member of the Soka Gakkai movement, Japanese Buddhism. In some promo shots, he actually had the "o-jizu" or prayer beads. Smile

Go and chant for love and success, Orli! Nam myo ho renge kyo! Wink We love you!

--Eruanna

_________________
"I have returned from the Northern Fences," said the Elf, "and I am sent now to be your guide again."


Last edited by Eruanna on Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texasgirl



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Posts: 895
Location: Texas (no shit, sherlock)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...definitely did not know that

just hope it doesn't turn into a madonna and kabblah thing

_________________
Damn, I love my home - except for the fact the nearest bit of civilization is forty miles away.

*Other co-founder of the "Howdy!" committee*

*Other co-founder of the official wtf foundation*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Eruanna



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Dor-Cuarthol, betwixt the Bow and the Helm...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Aye to that! Reply with quote

Texasgirl wrote:
wow...definitely did not know that

just hope it doesn't turn into a madonna and kabblah thing


I understand this is not new for him, from what I glean.

And it was not a media event, as it could have been.

--Eruanna

_________________
"I have returned from the Northern Fences," said the Elf, "and I am sent now to be your guide again."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SecretKeeper



Joined: 12 Dec 2004
Posts: 228
Location: Cardinal Rule 1: Never state your location.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Kate and Orlando seem to be both very low-key people and it's cool that he's into that type of Buddhism. I think the Japanese spiritualism is really cool...I prefer Shinto myself. Hmm.....that just gave me an idea for a thread topic in the General discussion.
_________________
"Merciful Heavens and Hells! There's a sword sticking out from you! Would you like me to pull it out and make your passing easier?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Eruanna



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Dor-Cuarthol, betwixt the Bow and the Helm...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SecretKeeper wrote:
Well Kate and Orlando seem to be both very low-key people and it's cool that he's into that type of Buddhism. I think the Japanese spiritualism is really cool...I prefer Shinto myself. Hmm.....that just gave me an idea for a thread topic in the General discussion.


I would imagine being a celebrity is difficult as it is. People hounding you all time time. Screaming fangirls... Rolling Eyes

The LOTR cast seems to be a good lot. Very gracious in spite of fame, fortune, and beauty. No bad word of anyone being a prima donna.

For a handsome young leading man and beautiful young actress, I imagine a relationship is just that more difficult. I actually think it was nice that they stayed with each other for that long. Smile

I also hear that Ms Bosworth is very down-to-earth despite he amazing apple-pie beauty and cosmetics contract, and Hollywood career.

Hollywood can always use more genuine souls.

--Eruanna

_________________
"I have returned from the Northern Fences," said the Elf, "and I am sent now to be your guide again."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thuriniel



Joined: 29 Jul 2003
Posts: 665
Location: Watching the purple sky fly over me ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eruanna wrote:
I also hear that Ms Bosworth is very down-to-earth despite he amazing apple-pie beauty and cosmetics contract, and Hollywood career.

Hollywood can always use more genuine souls.

--Eruanna


I'm sorry, I cannot help it. That's exactly what I thought about Kate, until very recently. I read an interview she had with GQ magazine. I was aghast at what a bubble head she is. I had heard she was highly intelligent ... apparently those must be rumours? Because no one I know who has certain amount of education talks with "yeah" and "like" interpolated every couple of words.

She also had some very "deep" thoughts on Buddhism. Apparently all you need is ten minutes a day to achieve "positivity" in the world. I'm not familiar with the philosophy behind the teachings of Buddha (although I must confess I wouldn't mind looking into it), but I thought it took a bit more work than that.

There go my two cents worth ...

_________________
~ boe an phân pedi ‘lam dadui ~ Reading
~ everyone should speak a second language ~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ellisk



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Icon by Alassante! Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thuriniel wrote:
She also had some very "deep" thoughts on Buddhism. Apparently all you need is ten minutes a day to achieve "positivity" in the world. I'm not familiar with the philosophy behind the teachings of Buddha (although I must confess I wouldn't mind looking into it), but I thought it took a bit more work than that.

There go my two cents worth ...


I am hardly a qualified Dharma teacher, but I will say a few words in defense of that statement. I speak with a compassionate desire to inspire understanding. For Buddhists, daily medition and chanting is (amongst other things) a means to focus our awareness the moment we are living in. That is considered a very important goal for many reasons. For example, if we live in this moment, we are not plagued by desires for things we cannot have or memories of things we cannot change--these things lead to suffering and Buddhists seek to escape the cycle of suffering. Also, if we are aware of this very moment, then we can focus on making it better for ourselves and those around us by being compassionate right now and every 'right now.'

For people who are only beginning their practice, it is recommended that they begin by trying to focus their mind on 'right now' for just five or ten minutes a day. For those minutes, they should think about how they feel right then. Try it sometime--it is very difficult not to let your mind wander (if it does, just acknowledge that is what is happening right now and bring your mind back to your meditation). That is why we start with a short amount of time and build until we spend every moment of everyday living in the moment instead of the past or future. That is part of enlightment.

The point is, my Dharma teacher does say that enlightment can be achieved by starting with a ten minute a day meditation.

Being originally of a christian background, I relate that to saying my prayers at bedtime or spending an hour in church every Sunday. Of course that is not 'all' a person must do to please God and enter Heaven. One must carry the grace they earn from prayer into their everyday lives and be good people in the world. But that few minutes of prayer every night and that hour in church helps lead us to good behavior in the rest of our lives.

Buddhists believe similarly that ten minutes of meditation every day helps--forms a foundation--to lead us to right speech and right action and right thought etc. throughout the rest of our lives.

I did not read that interview, but I imagine that is what the lady was refering to. Many Buddhists (including myself) are hesitant to make statements like the one that lady made because we realize we are not qualified Dharma teachers and we might speak in a way that mislead or causes misunderstanding or worst of all causes offense. The Dharma (the teaching of Buddha) are very complex and Buddha stated that we should take care to explain them so they can be understood. I hope I did that here and did nothing that might cause offense. I deeply respect every religious belief of every person on this planet that leads to compassionate living.

_________________
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Ultima ratio regum (The Last Argument of Kings)--engraved on all French cannons by order of Louis XIV
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eruanna



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Dor-Cuarthol, betwixt the Bow and the Helm...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thuriniel wrote:


I'm sorry, I cannot help it. That's exactly what I thought about Kate, until very recently. I read an interview she had with GQ magazine. I was aghast at what a bubble head she is. I had heard she was highly intelligent ... apparently those must be rumours? Because no one I know who has certain amount of education talks with "yeah" and "like" interpolated every couple of words.

There go my two cents worth ...


I am sorry to hear about the "bubblehead" part. It is hard to make a call on celebrities until one sees them in person. Even the best actors cannot hide being jerks or bubbleheads when they are standing in front of us. Their body language will betray them.

My pals who have been to LOTR conventions say that the LOTR cast always seem warm and welcoming with their fans and the press.

It must be hard to be famous and rich sometimes...

--Eruanna

_________________
"I have returned from the Northern Fences," said the Elf, "and I am sent now to be your guide again."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thuriniel



Joined: 29 Jul 2003
Posts: 665
Location: Watching the purple sky fly over me ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellisk wrote:
I hope I did that here and did nothing that might cause offense. I deeply respect every religious belief of every person on this planet that leads to compassionate living.


Of course you didn't and I truly appreciate you taking the time to explain! As I said, I know very little about Buddhism (my mom is an avid reader of Buddha's teachings), but the little I know really makes me respect your belief system.

It was not my intention belittling your religion at all. My point on quoting Kate is this: I cannot take seriously someone who is rambling about her dog throughout the interview and then she tries to make a "deep" statement about Buddhism with "like" and invented words such as "positivity" in between. Here's the excerpt, if you're interested.

She has recently discovered Buddhism. “It’s just a really incredible state of mind. It’s just a beautiful place to try to be at. It’s basically about constantly growing and making yourself a better person and focusing on what you want for yourself and the world and really putting it our there? It’s amazing. Because if you, like, have everybody taking ten minutes a day and really focusing on, like, positivity and a better world and a better self, like, imagine all that, just all that positivity going out there? So, I don’t know. That’s been good for me.”

... and my apologies again if I came through as if I were criticizing Buddhism ... it was not my intention whatsoever. The only one I was criticizing was Kate.

_________________
~ boe an phân pedi ‘lam dadui ~ Reading
~ everyone should speak a second language ~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eruanna



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 426
Location: Dor-Cuarthol, betwixt the Bow and the Helm...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thuriniel wrote:
ellisk wrote:
I hope I did that here and did nothing that might cause offense. I deeply respect every religious belief of every person on this planet that leads to compassionate living.


Of course you didn't and I truly appreciate you taking the time to explain! As I said, I know very little about Buddhism (my mom is an avid reader of Buddha's teachings), but the little I know really makes me respect your belief system.

It was not my intention belittling your religion at all. My point on quoting Kate is this: I cannot take seriously someone who is rambling about her dog throughout the interview and then she tries to make a "deep" statement about Buddhism with "like" and invented words such as "positivity" in between. Here's the excerpt, if you're interested.

She has recently discovered Buddhism. “It’s just a really incredible state of mind. It’s just a beautiful place to try to be at. It’s basically about constantly growing and making yourself a better person and focusing on what you want for yourself and the world and really putting it our there? It’s amazing. Because if you, like, have everybody taking ten minutes a day and really focusing on, like, positivity and a better world and a better self, like, imagine all that, just all that positivity going out there? So, I don’t know. That’s been good for me.”

... and my apologies again if I came through as if I were criticizing Buddhism ... it was not my intention whatsoever. The only one I was criticizing was Kate.


Thuriniel:

Oh, no! I was not offended at all! Laughing Gee, I hope you did not think I was... Very Happy

I was just remarking on how celebrities come off to the public. For instance, handsome Colin Farrell seems to want to cultivate his bad boy public persona. He smokes at interviews, cusses all the way through, and seems to show disdain for the press and fans.

On the other hand (and not just because I am a Haldir fan), ravishing Craig Parker was recently voted in NZ as the most personable celebrity in arts/entertainment (they do this for politicians, sports figures, etc.) Fans at LOTR conventions attest to this. Very Happy

As an aside, I can also ramble on about my dogs.... Laughing Laughing

--Eruanna

_________________
"I have returned from the Northern Fences," said the Elf, "and I am sent now to be your guide again."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ellisk



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Icon by Alassante! Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thuriniel wrote:
... and my apologies again if I came through as if I were criticizing Buddhism ... it was not my intention whatsoever. The only one I was criticizing was Kate.


Oh no, not to worry, I did not read what you said that way at all. I took it exactly like you said, a comment on the literacy of that lady. Smile

Thank you for including the excerpt. I was very curious what she said. I must admit, reading the excerpt made me giggle a little. Understanding the philosophy behind her words, I know what she was trying to say. I do agree that she does not seem to express herself very well. Embarassed

I am so very glad that no one will ever publish an interview of anything I have ever said! I wonder what I sound like when I am talking with my friends! I probably sound like a complete moron. Of course if I knew someone was interviewing me to PUBLISH what I was saying, I think I might speak slower and think about what I was saying and how. Smile Just a thought. Smile

_________________
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Ultima ratio regum (The Last Argument of Kings)--engraved on all French cannons by order of Louis XIV
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum