Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Stpid question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vilwarin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Stpid question Reply with quote

I read the following sentence and I do not know where it is from. For me it sounds a bit like Faramir, but than again... I am doubtful. If anyone knows it, pleace let me know, I really am at a lsos here. Hmm or it is just a Blond Moment

Here I can offer you no power; our victories are as small as they are concealed. We are not glorified for our might, for that we have little, and suspicion — not respect — is what we are bound to receive. Our task is to protect those who have no power and could not defend themselves from death if it came. This is all I could give to you, but I offer it unreservedly if you would accept it.”

~Vil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Aragorn, talking bout the Dunedain who watch over the little guy. Very Happy
Sirannon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettoelleth wrote:
That's Aragorn, talking bout the Dunedain who watch over the little guy. Very Happy

*edited*

oops nevermind, could someone delete this?

"All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom." - Albert Einstein
Vilwarin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aragorn? That explains why I found it in an article I wrote about him. Very Happy But where to find the phrase? It is not in "the council of Elrond" because I read it a couple of times lately. And to whom does he offer it so unreservedly?

~Vil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its RoTK, Aragorn and Halbarad talking on the way to the paths of the dead if I'm not mistaken. If I get time later, I'll look and see. But if its not, I would imagine it would be either Halbarad or maybe Gandalf speaking of the Rangers. There are a couple of times where Gandalf mentions them.
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not in the chapter: The Passing of the Grey Company... I am on the look out for this citation.

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
ellisk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhapsody wrote:
Well it's not in the chapter: The Passing of the Grey Company... I am on the look out for this citation.

I'm with you Rhapsody--this is an awesome quote, but I can't find it. I have the trilogy in digital form so I can search it. I did, for the first phrase of the quote and for some individual words, and I didn't find it. Doesn't mean it isn't there--I've had the 'search' function fail to find things I knew were there many times. I just can't find it and it really has my curiosity piqued since it's such a great quote. When someone finds it, please post here. Very Happy

Ultima ratio regum (The Last Argument of Kings)--engraved on all French cannons by order of Louis XIV
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked UT and the Silm as well.... now maybe it was in HOME..

I've found two quotes from LOTR that might be what Ghettoelleth means.

The awkward thing is: even google can't find the exact phrase..

ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really starting to irk me because I know I read this passager recently while researching something about Gildor for Circle, but I looked at all the places where Gildor shows up and its not in or around there. But darn it, I know I've seen it just recently. Big help, aren't I?
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe Trotter said it. I'm sorry, but that's a bit deeper than I have time to go at the moment, but consider looking there too. Its more than slightly possible that I used HoME for research as well.
ellisk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettoelleth wrote:
Hey, maybe Trotter said it. I'm sorry, but that's a bit deeper than I have time to go at the moment, but consider looking there too. Its more than slightly possible that I used HoME for research as well.

1) Glad to hear you are working on Circle!

2) I bet it is something Trotter said because I have really searched everything but HoME (unfortunately I don't have that electronically) and I can't find it.

It is a really cool quote though.

Ultima ratio regum (The Last Argument of Kings)--engraved on all French cannons by order of Louis XIV
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browses through the index of HOME: ok that can be HOME VI, VII or VIII.. on it capt G!

ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL, sorry Rhaps, most likely would be The Treason of Isengard, which is either 2 or 5, 6, or 7...I think, I always get confused by volumes of HoME as opposed to trilogies within the volumes.

Okay, that was just mean. I looked and its part two of the history of the ring, volume 7 of HoME sorry Embarassed

Rhapsody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettoelleth wrote:
LoL, sorry Rhaps, most likely would be The Treason of Isengard, which is either 2 or 5, 6, or 7...I think, I always get confused by volumes of HoME as opposed to trilogies within the volumes.

Okay, that was just mean. I looked and its part two of the history of the ring, volume 7 of HoME sorry Embarassed

Well I can't find it in Treason of Isengard. I also went through the parts of the Grey Company in the War of the Ring (book three of history of LOTR, book 8 of HOME) and material after that... Or my eyes are too tired right now, but I gave it my best shot. Maybe I got the energy to go through the return of the shadow tomorrow (you said you researched it because of Gildor right?).

What I do have though are a bunch of eager plotbunnies.... I think I will send a couple of them your way Wink

Oh and if anyone else wants to give it a try: go ahead!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: