Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Auntie Nan wants YOU

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

Wanted: reader with military expertise or interest, to discuss fictional battle of Middle Earth about which very little is known. Familiarity with medieval warfare and the forces of Evil a plus.

If interested, please respond to this ad courtesy of this forum.

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duchess, baby, you should post this in writing hints, tips, etc. as well. It might get more action up there. That's my contribution to your battle scene, I expect an honorable mention, lol. You know what I did when I wrote the only battle scene I have ever done so far. I put in the Last Samurai dvd and watched the battle scenes from their. Only peeps I could think of off the top of my head who used ancient warrior skills to fight. At least in any movie I had. It really helped me to just describe what was going on. Didn't really offer up any tactical details and their strategy was pretty lame considering the emporor...however you spell it's...army had gatling guns, but as far as watching close quarters fighting and alot of swordplay, it was wonderful. That better? Very Happy
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere around here, I have a couple of books on Greek, Roman and Medieval warfare that I used for the Last Alliance scenes in 'Alliance'. There might be some info you could use in there if you let me know what sort of thing you're after.

It's probably too late, but my area right now is the English Civil War and the military machinery and tactics of that era, but I don't know if that's of any help. Maybe on cavalry? But I've a lot of that lying about, and on my computer.

SW

Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

NancyBrooke wrote:
Wanted: reader with military expertise or interest, to discuss fictional battle of Middle Earth about which very little is known. Familiarity with medieval warfare and the forces of Evil a plus.

If interested, please respond to this ad courtesy of this forum.

I'm best friends with Ghetto - does that count as familiarity with the forces of evil? Twisted Evil

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

SpaceWeavil wrote:
It's probably too late, but my area right now is the English Civil War and the military machinery and tactics of that era, but I don't know if that's of any help. Maybe on cavalry? But I've a lot of that lying about, and on my computer.

Not at all too late ... that might be very helpful.

I guess I should stop being flip and get specific:

I need help developing the play x play (as it were here on Superbowl Sunday) of the LOTR Battle of Osgiliath - bookverse, of course: there will be no winners!

With the help of AngmarofCarndum (who hasn't been around in awhile; nor have I e-mailed him directly Embarassed ) I have a pretty good idea of numbers, armaments, complement of troops etc., but not how they would be utilized. First we did this, then they answered with this etc. If you think your info would be helpful, Space, I would love it.

Of course, little of the actual order of events may end up in the final story, but I want to understand it as well as possible (no jokes there, please) anyway.

ghettoelleth wrote:
Duchess, baby ... I expect an honorable mention, lol.

Oh, G! You can count on it. Everybody who has helped in any way at all is being credited. I've got all that worked out. Now if only I could get moving on the text itself .. Head bang

Alassante wrote:
I'm best friends with Ghetto - does that count as familiarity with the forces of evil? Twisted Evil

Clearly ... Very Happy

Of course, what's really stupid is that I have a good friend who is a history nut, very interested in warfare, and a wargamer. This is right up his alley ... but I'd have to tell him I write ff, and I'm not sure I want to do that yet. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

vladazhael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

NancyBrooke wrote:
Of course, what's really stupid is that I have a good friend who is a history nut, very interested in warfare, and a wargamer. This is right up his alley ... but I'd have to tell him I write ff, and I'm not sure I want to do that yet. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

oh, i'm so glad i'm not the only one still in the closet! of course there may have been some drunken confessions last week, but hopefully that was overshadowed by my hookah smoking caterpillar act and awful singing...

perhps that was another unwanted confession.

anyway! i might be able to help a bit. my knowledge on the subject(s) is quite random but sometimes useful. and i do know a few people in real life who for all their self-righteous rambling and assumptions that i couldn't possibly already know anything on my own tend to be well-versed in medieval lore.

going to go get my inner monologue checked right now.

**Vlad the Mouth of Sauron**
Piercings and creepy grins always available.
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

vladazhael wrote:
NancyBrooke wrote:

oh, i'm so glad i'm not the only one still in the closet!

What were you doing in the closet??? I am very fond of this as well, not only for the battles of Middle Earth, but historical battlegrounds as well. So Nancy, just let me know if I can lend a hand as well, especially regarding cavalry Smile

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vlad, Space and Rhapsody. I'll work up an "outline" and send it to each of you and maybe you can help me fill in some (big) blanks.

Anybody else? still open to suggestions.

ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

NancyBrooke wrote:

Big Hug Big Hug

Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

vladazhael wrote:
oh, i'm so glad i'm not the only one still in the closet! of course there may have been some drunken confessions last week, but hopefully that was overshadowed by my hookah smoking caterpillar act and awful singing...

ROFL

You're twisted. Twisted Evil I like that about you. Banana Dance

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vladazhael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:

You're twisted. Twisted Evil I like that about you. Banana Dance

thank you. Cool

**Vlad the Mouth of Sauron**
Piercings and creepy grins always available.
ghettoelleth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Auntie Nan wants YOU Reply with quote

vladazhael wrote:
NancyBrooke wrote:

anyway! i might be able to help a bit. my knowledge on the subject(s) is quite random but sometimes useful. and i do know a few people in real life who for all their self-righteous rambling and assumptions that i couldn't possibly already know anything on my own tend to be well-versed in medieval lore.

going to go get my inner monologue checked right now.

F&*(^%( H*&^, This girl made me spit everywhere. I love her, Al, can we keep her? Can we? HUH????

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait ... what were we talking about?

Rhapsody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warfare and folks coming out of the closet for it. Now it can be fun in the closet with a nice and hawt elf...

Nancy, do you happen to have The Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare by Chris Smith?

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhapsody wrote:
Warfare and folks coming out of the closet for it. Now it can be fun in the closet with a nice and hawt elf...

Nancy, do you happen to have The Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare by Chris Smith?

I've heard some bad things about that book, though I have to say I only looked at the pictures when I bought it and haven't read it yet. But I've heard a few folk with knowledge of weapons / warfare saying it's vastly inaccurate. The few paragraphs I read certainly were all fanon, but the way it's phrased it sounded as though it was quoting something from LotR canon (such as Elrond's behaviour at the Last Alliance - none of that stuff is in any of the books).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: