Create New Account

Auntie Nan wants YOU

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhapsody wrote:
Nancy, do you happen to have The Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare by Chris Smith?

No, never heard of it before ... what's your opinion of it?

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceWeavil wrote:
Rhapsody wrote:
Warfare and folks coming out of the closet for it. Now it can be fun in the closet with a nice and hawt elf...

Nancy, do you happen to have The Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare by Chris Smith?

I've heard some bad things about that book, though I have to say I only looked at the pictures when I bought it and haven't read it yet. But I've heard a few folk with knowledge of weapons / warfare saying it's vastly inaccurate. The few paragraphs I read certainly were all fanon, but the way it's phrased it sounded as though it was quoting something from LotR canon (such as Elrond's behaviour at the Last Alliance - none of that stuff is in any of the books).

Got any links to that Space? I am interested in those opinions. Don't forget that the book is compiled at the movie information. And since the movies do go astray from canon as well Wink

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhapsody wrote:
SpaceWeavil wrote:
Rhapsody wrote:
Warfare and folks coming out of the closet for it. Now it can be fun in the closet with a nice and hawt elf...

I've heard some bad things about that book, though I have to say I only looked at the pictures when I bought it and haven't read it yet. But I've heard a few folk with knowledge of weapons / warfare saying it's vastly inaccurate. The few paragraphs I read certainly were all fanon, but the way it's phrased it sounded as though it was quoting something from LotR canon (such as Elrond's behaviour at the Last Alliance - none of that stuff is in any of the books).

I'm trying to think where it was. It could well have been in this forum somewhere, but honestly, I'm talking about a year or more ago that this was discussed. (It was just before I started work on Alliance, because I remember thinking I should maybe avoid that when writing it).

It is based on movie canon more than book, but even so, it makes up a load of stuff from what I saw, and presents it as though it's solid fact. Personally I look at it as a nice guide to things like uniforms, but I ignore the technical details and check those myself elsewhere. If what it says works with book! canon, then I use it. If not, I don't.

Got any links to that Space? I am interested in those opinions. Don't forget that the book is compiled at the movie information. And since the movies do go astray from canon as well Wink

SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's what I get for not previewing. I mucked up quotes;

This is my actual reply:
I'm trying to think where it was. It could well have been in this forum somewhere, but honestly, I'm talking about a year or more ago that this was discussed. (It was just before I started work on Alliance, because I remember thinking I should maybe avoid that when writing it).

It is based on movie canon more than book, but even so, it makes up a load of stuff from what I saw, and presents it as though it's solid fact. Personally I look at it as a nice guide to things like uniforms, but I ignore the technical details and check those myself elsewhere. If what it says works with book! canon, then I use it. If not, I don't.

vladazhael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh... i suppose i could have mentioned owning that book when i volunteered to help. i guess the fact that i forgot probably speaks to its usefulness in this context.

but then i don't think it should be completely excluded, either. even it's not directly from the desk of tolkien, it brings together a lot of ideas that are otherwise dispersed far and wide throughout the fandom. that kind of accessible inspiration is always nice. (and facts aren't always accurate elsewhere, either.)

best taken with a grain of salt, but still a good margarita. or something.

but then i like the flavored margaritas with the sugar on the rim.

and the little umbrellas.

really good with fajitas.

perhaps i should just stop inventing metaphors and go to chili's.

**Vlad the Mouth of Sauron**
Piercings and creepy grins always available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpaceWeavil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladazhael wrote:
heh... i suppose i could have mentioned owning that book when i volunteered to help. i guess the fact that i forgot probably speaks to its usefulness in this context.

but then i don't think it should be completely excluded, either. even it's not directly from the desk of tolkien, it brings together a lot of ideas that are otherwise dispersed far and wide throughout the fandom. that kind of accessible inspiration is always nice. (and facts aren't always accurate elsewhere, either.)

I didn't actually say ignore it in my post. Suppose I shouldn't have mentioned anything really, but I just remembered being told to keep an eye out for mistakes in it and thought it would be helpful to say so. Obviously though I've offended some folks in saying so, so I apologise. I was only trying to be helpful.

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceWeavil wrote:
I was only trying to be helpful.

It's been helpful to me, Space (which is what really matters here, after all!); thanks!

Cressida

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents on W&W: I consider it canonical for the movieverse, but I would definitely not use it as a reference for a bookverse story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vladazhael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpaceWeavil wrote:
vladazhael wrote:

I didn't actually say ignore it in my post. Suppose I shouldn't have mentioned anything really, but I just remembered being told to keep an eye out for mistakes in it and thought it would be helpful to say so. Obviously though I've offended some folks in saying so, so I apologise. I was only trying to be helpful.

oh, no no, not offended at all. i'm sorry, i should have included more smilies. Rolling Eyes my bad.
just putting in my two cents really (devil's advocate is my favorite game to play), and honestly i quite liked what you said about it.
my apologies again, i certainly didn't mean to make you feel shot down.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladazhael wrote:
oh, no no, not offended at all. i'm sorry, i should have included more smilies. Rolling Eyes my bad.
just putting in my two cents really (devil's advocate is my favorite game to play), and honestly i quite liked what you said about it.

FOUL...Penalty flag on the field!!!! I surrender Insufficient number of emoticons used!!! Evil or Very Mad Ten yard penalty, repeat first down.

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vladazhael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just realized that flag looks a lot like a pair of boxers.

where did you get that, Al? Twisted Evil

Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're Boromir's of course. Everyone knows that elves and rangers go commando. Shocked
Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:
vladazhael wrote:

FOUL...Penalty flag on the field!!!! I surrender Insufficient number of emoticons used!!! Evil or Very Mad Ten yard penalty, repeat first down.

Very Happy Al, behave!

I think W&W can be complimentary for Nancy, if it wasn't only for the visual aspect of it. Or the glossary in the back. For example, Gondor (Minas Tirith) doesn't have a huge cavalry of it's own, most of it came from the 'provinces' during and before Pelennor. This is a factor for example will make a difference for her story. Aaanyhow! Smile

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local library has it (under "non-fiction" wtf ), so I will take it for a test drive. Thanks for the tip, tipsters.

inglor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy, you may want to give http://swordforum.com/ a peek. But this may involve writing to somebody you don't know.

BTW, I'm still in the closet too. Only two non-net folks know I write ff. One is my wife and the other is a very good friend I caught with a goat so he ain't sayin' nothin to nobody.

Inglor of the Sleeved Ace

Owner of the phrase: "merciless attention" so authorized by Viv
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: