Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Question about the Nazgul?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Question about the Nazgul? Reply with quote

Do they still breathe and have all the normal body functions of a human? I don't really need to know if they still have most body functions but I do wander about the breathing bit because of a line in a future chapter I am writing. I *think* that the answer is no cause they are kinda closer to ghosts. But I am not sure because I think I remember the one chasing Frodo breathing loudly when he was looking for him but that could have been the horse.

Grrr now I'm confusing myself. So the question is - do the Nazgul breath?

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about the Nazgul? Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:
Do they still breathe and have all the normal body functions of a human? I don't really need to know if they still have most body functions but I do wander about the breathing bit because of a line in a future chapter I am writing. I *think* that the answer is no cause they are kinda closer to ghosts. But I am not sure because I think I remember the one chasing Frodo breathing loudly when he was looking for him but that could have been the horse.

Grrr now I'm confusing myself. So the question is - do the Nazgul breath?

To paraphrase Monty Python, they don't breath so much as sniff:
Quote:
From inside the hood came a noise as of someone sniffling to catch an elusive scent ...

But I don't think think they're truly corporeal ... Gandalf says to Frodo that they only wear robes
Quote:
to give shape to their nothingness when they have dealings with the living.

Of course, just to be confusing, Merry does stab the WK in "the sinew behind his might knee," not 'where his knee would have been', as it were.

But whey Eowyn does destroy the WK he just seems to vanish. His shoulders bow, the crown rolls away, Eowyn falls on him but there's nothing there but empty robes and
Quote:
a cry went up into the shuddering air ... a voice bodiless and thin ...

So that seems to be two quotes against and one for.

Anyone else?

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about the typos
Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL maybe breathing is optional for them. They do it out of habit rather than need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Rhaps - I have learned that they do breathe. She found something in Tolkien's Letters and also reminded me of the 'black breath' that Merry and Eowyn suffered from after confronting the Witch King.
Ottis413

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed that when they were dealing with the living, they had to act as the living. Ie; they had to ride or walk to move, had to turn their held to see in that direction (as much as they were able)and breath to smell and talk, all to maintain the facade of having a body. Once they were dismounted at the ford, they were prety well useless till their master "rebuilt" them again...

(I can just see the wraiths come slinking back to Sauron, and him chewing them out; "WHAT, You think those horses GROW ON TREES????? You think those cloaks get spooky all by themselves????" looking down they shuffle their 'feet' and reply " 'm sorry ")
I've been reading to many of SpaceWeavils stories.........

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
Pink Floyd, Comfortably numb
OSA Nazgul#8. The little Nagzul wot cud spall (Don't call me the redneck Nazgul, I prefer the term 'Appalachian Nazgul')
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: