Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Disc World/Middle Earth

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your favorite Disc World character?
Sam Vimes
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Nobby Nobbs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Carrot
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Vetinari
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
The Librarian
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lady Sybil
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Wee Free Men(Pictsies, Nac Mac Feegle, the Little Men, or 'Person or Persons Unknown, Believed to be Armed')
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Nanny Ogg
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Granny Weatherwax
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Rincewind
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tiffany Aching
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

LadyAlariel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Disc World/Middle Earth Reply with quote

Has anyone ever thought of crossing LOTR and Terry Pratchett's Discworld series? Maybe send Vimes, or even Vetinari to ME during the trilogy? Can't you just see the conversations between, oh, let's say...Vetinari and Elrond...Vimes and Glorfindel...Eowyn and Angua...the Librarian and Merry/Pippin...Carrot and Aragorn...Nobby and Gollum...OK, so forget that last one, it's too scary(shudder).

But honestly, wouldn't you love to see Vetinari and Saruman duking it out? Havelock would SO kick Saruman's ass. White wizard Saruman may be, but Vetinari is both an assassin and successful ruler of Ankh-Morpork. I have this sudden image of the Patrician taking over MiddleEarth and Sauron having to make a request to form a Dark Lord's Guild, and paying taxes, and making complaints against the Magical Artisans' Guild for stealing his rings.

If anyone has actually seen such crossovers, please tell me about them!
Ottis413

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about that, but it always seemed to me that Terry Pratchets' Disk-World series is sort of LotR fan-fic to begin with, so it prob wouldn't be as easy as it sounds.
I tried to write a LotR fan-fic/Wizard of Oz crossover story in the 'Terry Pratchet style', (The Wonderful Wizard of Isenguard) it didn't go over very well, I guess comedy just ain't my thing. Maybe someone else could pull it off, it would be an very interesting story...

PS; If you happen to be one of the people who read my TWWoI, and had been trying to blot it out of your mind, I apologize for digging it back up... Smash

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
Pink Floyd, Comfortably numb
OSA Nazgul#8. The little Nagzul wot cud spall (Don't call me the redneck Nazgul, I prefer the term 'Appalachian Nazgul')
Cressida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know ... I recently read Night Watch, and the whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking about how different Pratchett and Tolkien's worldviews are. I'm not saying an author couldn't put the two together; but it would be trickier than it looks at first glance, unless maybe it was a humor fic. (I wrote up more thoughts about this in a Livejournal entry for Celebrate Middle Earth Month; if anybody's interested in seeing them, the link is here.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I like Pratchett (and can read it far more easily than Tolkien and enjoy the dark humour) I agree with Ottis that the discworld is LOTR inspired. It's changed a lot with recent books (Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky that sort of stays in the Wiches vain from "Good Omens") but these later books are not as good as the first lot, IMHO.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: