Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

The Children of Hurin

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inglor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: The Children of Hurin Reply with quote

Got it. I think I owe Turin an apology...

Inglor

Owner of the phrase: "merciless attention" so authorized by Viv
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're enjoying it? Got a discount coupon from Barnes and Noble to buy it, but I'm waffling. Have you read enough to give a review?
Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it written more like the Trilogy or the Silm, Inglor? I'm debating getting it myself Nancy since I hated Turin in the Silm. I thought his section was frustrating as hell to read. But who knows, maybe I'll owe him an apology as well Wink I wish they had written a story about the House of Finwe instead Very Happy
Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhapsody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NancyBrooke wrote:
So, you're enjoying it? Got a discount coupon from Barnes and Noble to buy it, but I'm waffling. Have you read enough to give a review?

Nancy, here is the CNN review.

No, my copy is still not shipped. Sad

Maglor's bard & Celegorm's play pal

Nazgul #5 in charge anything liquid or edible things
Icon made by Carnage in c minor.
inglor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy:
I stumbled on the book in Target and, much to my wife's exasperation, stumbled to the check out reading the Introduction. There is a passage there in that explains a great deal of things. I'm saving the rest of the book for a long plane ride on Sunday (South Alabama to Northern British Columbia)so I can't say too much about it
As a Silgeek hoping to turn others, I really hope you get it and get interested in the 1st Age.

Al: As Rhaps can attest, my hatred of Turin is borderline obsessive but I bought the book anyway. But I don't think much of the story has changed. I'll know more on Monday

Inglor

Owner of the phrase: "merciless attention" so authorized by Viv
Ningloreth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... More than a year later.

Who else has read it? I would be very interested to know what you think.

The writing is beautiful--Silmarillion style--made to be recited, like the sagas. And Turin's childhood, with his relationship with Labadal, shows Tolkien at his best. But I found that I could only read a couple of chapters at a time because the tale is so very, very--and so relentlessly--distressing.
lissaselves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ningloreth wrote:
Well... More than a year later.

Who else has read it? I would be very interested to know what you think.

The writing is beautiful--Silmarillion style--made to be recited, like the sagas. And Turin's childhood, with his relationship with Labadal, shows Tolkien at his best. But I found that I could only read a couple of chapters at a time because the tale is so very, very--and so relentlessly--distressing.

I read CoH about a year ago and has reread it since.
Ningloreth, you are so right about the tale being so distressing that it's hard to read longer parts of it! I definitely needed to get away and read something light and optimistic every once in a while, i.e. it took me over a week to complete it (I usually read books much faster).

I noticed some people in this thread wondered if it was a coherent story or lots of little bits and pieces like SIL. Well, it is definitely coherent.

It's a beautifully written, quite believable (because of Tśrins' obvious humanity, his good points and flaws)and terribly sad epic about a man whose pride seems to rule every choice he makes in the relatively few years he travels Middle-earth.

Did I like it? Oh yes! I loved it - this is a classic.

It also happens to be very 'scinematic' if you can say that; IMO it would make an amazing movie (provided you could find a director who wouldn't focus on special effects! Nothing kills a good story like 'great special effects' - yuk!)

Please note that you should NOT read this book if you're feeling down or are already depressed! And I actually mean this quite literally. Sad

So, that's my 5 cents. Other opinions? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't bring myself to read it yet. I cannot stand Turin and feel he was more a walking disaster than a poor victim. He caused most of his own undoing. So many others went through worse and handled it better than Cry Mr. Victim-Woe-Is-Me-My-Life-Is-So-Terrible-I'm-Gonna-Change-My-Name-AGAIN-Then-Marry-My-Sister-And-Knock-Her-Up I wouldn't
Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lissaselves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:
I can't bring myself to read it yet. I cannot stand Turin and feel he was more a walking disaster than a poor victim. He caused most of his own undoing. So many others went through worse and handled it better than Cry Mr. Victim-Woe-Is-Me-My-Life-Is-So-Terrible-I'm-Gonna-Change-My-Name-AGAIN-Then-Marry-My-Sister-And-Knock-Her-Up I wouldn't

Well, I can't really disagree with you; I feel much the same about him! Very Happy

But it's still a great book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it when it came out and still haven't finished it. It's like a really bad, frustrating slasher film: Turn, when you go into the basement to investigate the creepy sounds at midnight, turn on the goldarned light! Seriously, this character can never force himself to do the logical thing. His motivations are impossible, incoherent, unbelievable. I thought so when I read about him in the Silm, and I still think so.

I hope the last half of the book redeems itself, because so far I'm not all that impressed.

And regarding the scene-level writing, I still think the "Debate of Finrod and Andreth" is by far Tolkien's most sophisticated, seamless, intimate writing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lissaselves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, his motivations are certainly wrong: he is all about pride!

Unfortunately, that makes him seem very human to me; he's a walking disaster, yes, but I can see why he makes his decisions. Every time one wishes he would - just for once - use his brain instead of letting his stubborn pride decied for him, but no, he doesn't.

Don't tell me his type isn't alive and causing trouble to this very day! Sad
RobinKa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love CoH to bits. I pre-ordered the book as soon as I found out that the Polish version would come out a month, or so, later than the English one. And the wait... don't ask! I couldn't stand it, and I was telling my hubby that over and over and he was like, 'Ok, but don't you know that story already? Besides, the longer you wait, the more you will appreciate the moment when you finally get it'. And when I *finally* got it, I swallowed it in three days or so. And since then, I've re-read it many times, both in Polish and English.

Well, I knew what to expect, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. I wanted more Beleg, and I got it, plus the excellent inllustrations by Alan Lee. It's of course more of the Silmarillion style, but it's not as much of a chronicle of evens, but a full-blood story, IMO. As for Turin, I've never been fond of him (but it doesn't make him less fascinating a character), to say the least and I can feel sorry for the fact he had a sort of toxic family, but no forgiveness, dude! His pride and stubbornness to keep walking the path of disaster added a whole lot to the doom. He could've turned back, but he didn't. So, unlike Inglor, I don't think I owe Turin an apology.

Btw, hey, Inglor, are you still around?

The book is depressing, yes, but you know, I read it also when I was in hospital last year, feeling rather miserable, and I thought, oh hell, I was still lucky Wink

I agree it would make an awesome movie Very Happy I can tell you that I had a dream that I won an Oscar for adapting CoH, LOL. And Hugh Jackman played Beleg in that movie. All right, I know, I'm a hopeless fangirl. I'll shut up now.

~*~

OSA Nazgūl #7: Binkerton the Polish Nazgūl.
lissaselves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobinKa wrote:

The book is depressing, yes, but you know, I read it also when I was in hospital last year, feeling rather miserable, and I thought, oh hell, I was still lucky Wink

lol - yes, you've got a point!

Quote:

I agree it would make an awesome movie Very Happy I can tell you that I had a dream that I won an Oscar for adapting CoH, LOL. And Hugh Jackman played Beleg in that movie. All right, I know, I'm a hopeless fangirl. I'll shut up now.

Hugh Jackman? Hmmm ... dunno. Home III says that Beleg was 'lithe of girth and lightly on the ground his footsteps fell'. I happened to see a pic of HJ in swim trunks the other day and would not describe him as 'lithe'; take a look for yourself:http://www.theoriginalseries.com/mearas.htm

As a matter of fact, he might be good as a mature Tśrin: 'tall, dark-haired, ... with deep eyes in a white face, stern and proud' (that's young Tśrin, in Doriath); 'tall, dark-haired and pale-skinned, with grey eyes, and his face more beautiful than any other among mortal men (in full manhood, in Nargothrond).

What do you think?
lissaselves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisser8 wrote:
I happened to see a pic of HJ in swim trunks the other day and would not describe him as 'lithe'; take a look for yourself:

Oops - accidentally put in the wrong link - lol.

Here's the one I was thinking of: http://msndk.starlounge.com/index.cfm?objectid=29641&imagenr=4
RobinKa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I was wondering what in earth those horses had to do with Hugh Jackman...? Wink

I agree. He is not my ideal Beleg either, but he happened to be in my dream cast -- dunno why, my imagination played tricks on me apparently. He might be a good movie Turin, you're right Very Happy

~*~

OSA Nazgūl #7: Binkerton the Polish Nazgūl.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: