Lost Password?

Create New Account

Mimicking the Greats

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sulriel

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eiranae wrote:
Whoa boy! I hope you're prepared for mass chaos! I don't even get a subject recommendation?

This is going to be difficult. Bad computer day Help!!!

it's hard to get started, it's not hard to keep going.

just sit and write, anything everything. don't think about it, just write.

start out with explaining to yourself why your writing, or "once upon a time" or anything at all to fill the page.

a story will come. Wink

Sulriel

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:
You're on, Beck. Wink

Yes, just sit down and write. In the mean time, I'm taking a notebook with me to work so I can plan during my breaks. (If anything will help someone grow as a writer, it's trying something different. Smile )

hehehehe! *rubbing hands together gleefully*

Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulriel wrote:

start out with explaining to yourself why your writing, or "once upon a time" or anything at all to fill the page.

a story will come. Wink

This sounds like an excellent exercise for anybody. ANybody else wanna take up the challenge? I can issue it formally in the Challenges section, too, y'know, 'cause I have Teh Power that way. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eiranae
Quiz Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:

This sounds like an excellent exercise for anybody. ANybody else wanna take up the challenge? I can issue it formally in the Challenges section, too, y'know, 'cause I have Teh Power that way. Cool

Oh, please do that! That way I don't have to be the only one suffering, I mean writing!

Twisted Evil
eiranae
Quiz Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:
Hey, now some of us write in a flat b/c that's where we live. There isn't much choice in the matter. Wink

ROFL LOL sign I can't believe I missed that! Too funny.
Sulriel

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:
Sulriel wrote:

a story will come. Wink

Viv, I'm not sure it would be a good challenge 'as is', because the output isn't publishable if it's done right. I have some ideas though, I'll PM you.

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:
Am giggling with mental images of NB capering about the room.

"Uh, what's got you so exited, anyway? Hear about a new Firefly movie? Stick it to that guy on e-bay who keeps outbidding you? Hear about Godivas half-off at the local chocolaterie?"

"Noooo! I used precipitate as a noun *and* verb, and I dunna think it means what you think it means!"

"Right."

Pretty much! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Viv wrote:
Central themes are always a mark of a good writer.
Sulriel wrote:
I have seen it argued, and I know there are exceptions, but I think it's a good, basic rule of thumb that a story should be about something.

vengeance debilities the vengeful
love survives where lust fails
letting go / finding new meaning
taking 'hold and making it work
surviving loss
finding strength in compromise

Hmmmm Hmmm you know, I was actually thinking of something smaller that this - it wasn't just metaphor when I wrote "nut" and "kernal" above. My work, at any rate, I think, is about small moments, or very finite ideas/questions, not grand over-arching concepts. For example, the thing I'm working on right now (pre-SSP Cool ) isn't about parenting so much as about a moment of parenting choice. And I don't think that whatever central core you have has to be profound, either, it just has to be there.

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tossing an idea out there, feel free to fling it back at me. (I've gotta have a helmet around here somewhere....)

I've always learned a lot from editing and doing beta for others too. So, what if we exchange whatever stories we put out from this "toss your usual M.O. on its ear" idea, and beta for each other as well? It'd be a bit more like an actual writing 'circle' like the Inklings were, but open to whomever decides to participate in the challenge. Then after a month or whatever, we number the stories, pick numbers and beta the one we get?

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
eiranae
Quiz Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:
Tossing an idea out there, feel free to fling it back at me. (I've gotta have a helmet around here somewhere....)

I've always learned a lot from editing and doing beta for others too. So, what if we exchange whatever stories we put out from this "toss your usual M.O. on its ear" idea, and beta for each other as well? It'd be a bit more like an actual writing 'circle' like the Inklings were, but open to whomever decides to participate in the challenge. Then after a month or whatever, we number the stories, pick numbers and beta the one we get?

Sounds great to me. I'd like to try my hand at beta work. Just don't expect much help from me in the commas area. Commas and I have a misunderstanding.

Uzi Rocket Head bang
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to send this: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

Decent site for breaking down grammar, etc. in laymen's terms.

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Sulriel

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:

I think a challenge group beta is a wonderful idea. I'm not so sure about writing each other stories. Hmmm

eiranae
Quiz Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulriel wrote:
I think a challenge group beta is a wonderful idea. I'm not so sure about writing each other stories. Hmmm

Are we writing each others stories? I though we were just writing our own stories using the method opposite of the one we're used to. So if we usually plan out our stories in advance we're going to just sit down and write with no plan, and if we usually don't plan then we're going to plan it all out in advance.

Am I confused? Question
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:
. Then after a month or whatever, we number the stories, pick numbers and beta the one we get?

Oooooh!

Yes, please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's how it would work (so far):

Folks would write outside their own box. Outline-makers would write free-form; organic writers would hold themselves to an outline or other structure. We would write for one month. At the deadline, everyone would send in stories, which would be numbered. Everyone who sent in a story would then get a number back: that is the story they'd beta for someone else.

At the end, we would all have betaed stories to turn in for a challenge.

Does that sound right?
eiranae
Quiz Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:
So, here's how it would work (so far):

Folks would write outside their own box. Outline-makers would write free-form; organic writers would hold themselves to an outline or other structure. We would write for one month. At the deadline, everyone would send in stories, which would be numbered. Everyone who sent in a story would then get a number back: that is the story they'd beta for someone else.

At the end, we would all have betaed stories to turn in for a challenge.

Does that sound right?

That's how I understand it. Sounds exciting!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: