Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Another Nerdanel thread.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Another Nerdanel thread. Reply with quote

I'll keep this one short: Anyone know what her name means?

I tried Encyclopedia of Arda, Counsel of Elrond, Ardalambion, Michael Martinez' essays and read everything about her in Morgoth's Ring and Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Middle-earth (which, in spite of the name, I'm finding somewhat lacking).

A source or translation would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
RobinKa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Woman in Few Words: The Character of Nerdanel and Her Treatment in Canon and Fandom by Dawn Felagund, posted at the Silmarillion Writers' Guild, has a short paragraph concerning a probable meaning of Nerdanel's name. Hope this helps Smile

~*~

OSA Nazgūl #7: Binkerton the Polish Nazgūl.
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh. Yes, very helpful, but if that hypothesis is true, "Nerdanel" would be a name rather like "Galadriel", that the bearer was given later in life. How could she be a "man-maker" until she'd borne at least a couple of sons? Hmm....

Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it has to do with her mannish skills at crafting? Her papa probably would have been pleased if someone had told him, at her birth, that she'd grow up to be a master craftsman (eclipsed only by her husband...).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RobinKa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this as well.

Some of elvish names were somewhat prophetic (for example Maedhros' and Maglor's mother names were Maitimo and Macalaure -- the tall and the strong voiced, respectively). So it's probable that the name Nerdanel indicated the fact that Feanor and she had seven children.

Then, Nerdanel might be a 'sindarinized' form of her Quenya name (I've been digging through some Polish Tolkien forum and found the explanation which says that Nerdanel might be derived from quenyan Nertįnellė -- scupltress. That would point out the fact that she kind of made 'men' -- their images carved in stone or wood).

I'm not an expert on Feanor's family and the Noldor in general, but that 'sculptress' name makes sense to me Smile I'll keep on searching.

~*~

OSA Nazgūl #7: Binkerton the Polish Nazgūl.
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now *that's* striking a chord, Binks. Galadriel was given the name Nerwen by her mother meaning "man-maiden", opposite her father name Artanis "noble woman". Celeborn (or someone, at any rate) called her Alatariel after she arrived in Beleriand, which translates from Telerin to Galadriel in Sindarin.

If that "sculptress" thing pans out with Nerdanel, I've still got wiggle room to toss in a mother name given after a few years of life if I want, but she could have been given her best-known name by her father, who would have hoped to have a fellow artisan in at least one of his offspring (like Viv has suggested), or by someone that she fooled with a life-like statue some time in her formative years, or even by Feanor himself after son # 4, 5, or 6 arrived. Smile

See, this is why I ask these kinds of questions. Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: