Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Determining type and category of fics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lissaselves

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Determining type and category of fics Reply with quote

OK, so this is probably something that has been explained a gazillion times before - I just couldn't find it:

How do you define the various types of fics?

I put my first and only ficlet in type 'General' and category 'Tolkien-Lord of the Rings', but am not at all sure that either were suitable (especially not the latter).

It deals with death, and a wood-elf's rejection of the call to Mandos' Halls.

How would you classify it? Question

(I probably should have asked before posting, but at least I hope to be prepared for the next time.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're fine. Lord of the Rings is bookverse - which to me is anything that's not movie verse even if its not actually based on events in the book, ie gapfillers. And General can be anything. Yours could also be angst, tragedy or drama too. I always think of stories like that as angst but I'm sure 50 different people would define angst 30 different ways. General are more the 'anything that doesn't fit anywhere else' or the catch-all stories.
Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it too much: categorization in fanfiction is all over the map. Things categorized as "romance" often have little similarity to the literary genre (archaic or modern interpretation); similarly, I've seen things categorized as "humour" just because they're kind of fluffy and sweet, not necessarily meant to be funny.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is the audience you're writing for. If you want readers to look at your story because it has an interesting pairing or take on a relationship, even if that relatinship isn't the primary focus of the story, you can categorize it as romance.

"Gen" is a good catch-all, but if your story has any elements of horror or romance, you probably want to categorize it as one of those, because some Gen readers can become annoyed if those elements appear in fics labelled "gen."

Ugh. I can't get my thoughts to do the succint thing this morning. Sorry for the long post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Lissa, as far as your specific story, Passing, is concerned, I think you categorized it appropriately. I suppose you *could* exchange LoTR for Silm, but it doesn't matter very much. Those long-lived elves sort of floated through several Ages and stories, didn't they? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lissaselves

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good, glad to hear my choice was not totally wrong!

Yes, those long-lived elves are difficult to fit in ... Very Happy

The next one I plan to post deals with events described in UT, but I'll put that one in the LOTR category, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: