Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Never Have I Ever challenge

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Never Have I Ever challenge Reply with quote

[Am posting this on NeumeIndil's behalf. --viv]

Never Have I Ever challenge

Please read the following, then say to yourself "Never have I ever written..." Then, fill in the blank with any or all of the following options and write a story of 300 words or more. Those wishing me to "roll a story" for them, selecting the genre, point of view, and character (or a narrowed list of characters) via polyhedral dice, should please indicate this in the registration email. (Replies to the post in The Bunny Nursery are also acceptable, though not preferred.) With these guidelines, you will have one month to write the story and email it to Neu on or before October 1st.

"Never have I ever written..."
A. A/An __(GENRE)__ story from the __(POV)__. (An example would be: write an Adventure story from a 1st Person Limited point of view, meaning that the narration comes from inside the mind of the main character, like Jack Keruac's On the Road or Ernest Hemmingway's "Hills Like White Elephants". The actual Genre and POV will be chosen at random on Sept. 1st.)

B. A story featuring __(TOPIC)__. (An example would be: write 300 words or more about/featuring Mountains of Middle-earth. The actual topic will be chosen at random on Sept. 1st.)

C. A Roll a Story: On September 1st (or the wee small hours of September 2nd), you will receive an email containing: a genre, a point of view, a topic and a character or character list (your preference), all chosen at random.

On or before October 1st, please email your rough drafts to Neume, with your email address included in the text of the story. In return, you will receive a draft from a fellow participant for beta reading/editing. You will then have 1 week to read and give suggestions on that story, and to return it to its author. The author will then have 1 week from the time he or she recieves the story to make any changes or additions and post it as a challenge response. Then, the accolades will begin!

(So final stories will be posted to the archive here on or before 15 October 2008.)

Questions: Email Neu using the address in her profile, or post a query for all to see in the Bunny Nursery.

To register: Sign up for the challenge (in the navigation box on the left of your screen, click Tolkien, then Challenges, the the Never Have I Ever challenge), then e-mail NeumeIndil at the address in her profile. This will serve as a test e-mail to ensure no one's future messages get trapped in a filter, and to help keep track of those wanting a Rolled Story.

Important dates:

Register by 1 September 2008.

E-mail draft of story by 1 October 2008.

Post final story to archive by 15 October 2008.

(Be sure to let Neume know if you want her to "roll" your story options.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I signed up. Neume, please roll my story: a genre, a point of view, a topic, and a character list , please. (Character list by letter of the alphabet again?)

Am lookin forward to this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Viv, by letter of the alphabet. Smile I think that's the way I'll be going too since I might not know a Silm. character well enough to play w/ POV in an entirely different Genre than I'm used to as well.

Should I post links to explanations of these terms, etc. for people who might be rusty? I've got some around here somewhere...

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - gimme de woiks: Option C with a specific character, please.
Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
eiranae
Quiz Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go ahead and post this on the right thread this time.

I'd like Option C with all the trimmings. In other words, roll me one of each please. Very Happy

Sulriel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'm going to have to beg off this one after all. 'RL' has me running in circles right now and I have stuff there I need to focus on. Sad
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will miss reading stuff from you on this one, Sulriel, but the less pressure you have right now, the better. Besides, it looks like we'll be running these sorts of challenges periodically so long as there's interest, so hopefully you'll get a chance to play on the next round.

In the mean time, you want I shoud slap around that jerk RL a bit? Wink
eiranae
Quiz Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulriel wrote:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to beg off this one after all. 'RL' has me running in circles right now and I have stuff there I need to focus on. Sad

Big Hug Big Hug

Quote:

I'll help! Jeep

Sulriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eiranae wrote:
Sulriel wrote:

Big Hug Big Hug

Quote:

I'll help! Jeep

haha! yes, that would be wondeful! Thank you!! Twisted Evil

NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is officially September 1st (my time). Emails just went out to the six of us digging in to this month's challenge. Very Happy

For those who are curious:

Option A, a POV and Genre: Mystery from First Person Limited
Option B, a random topic: Stars/The Cosmos (of Middle-earth)
Option C, a random letter/character: mailed individually. I'll let authors decide whether or not they want to share their characters in public.

And now, since I work on "Labor Day", good night, sleep tight, and hope the bunnies all bite!

vladazhael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, shoot, it's September now! Am I too late? I was looking to get in on this with option C (random character). Let me know if you can still squeeze me in (I'll email you, too).

**Vlad the Mouth of Sauron**
Piercings and creepy grins always available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, I'm inclined to be inclusive, but you'll have to butter up the Challenge Admin about reopening it (if it can be). I hear alcohol, chocolate, and free baby sitting are useful in that endeavor. Wink

In all seriousness, though, you should be getting an email shortly. Might want to drop one by Viv though for the registration end of things since I can't open that one.

vladazhael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it let me in just fine when I went to register earlier today. Looks like it closed at 20:00 and I made it in at 14:52. Cool

**Vlad the Mouth of Sauron**
Piercings and creepy grins always available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zang! (Dancing vegetation to the first person who gets that reference.)

PippinIonad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeumeIndil wrote:
Zang! (Dancing vegetation to the first person who gets that reference.)

Question but can I have a boogying veggie anyway - it feels far too long since I've seen one! (bar on the rest of this page of course Rolling Eyes )

Pip
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: