Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Tolkien Lecture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inglor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Tolkien Lecture Reply with quote

14 lectures on audio cd. http://www.recordedbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=scholar.show_course&course_id=75

The overwhelming success of the Lord of the Rings films and the Harry Potter series aptly demonstrates that the fantasy genre is alive and well in the new millennium. The names of authors such as J.R.R. Tolkien, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Terry Brooks evoke ripe tales of heroism and the clash of good versus evil in magical, faraway lands. The rich collection of King Arthur tales have also captured the imagination of millions and resonates with audiences to the present day.
Should fantasy be considered serious literature, or is it merely escapism? In this course, the roots of fantasy and the works that have defined the genre are examined. Incisive analysis and a deft assessment of what makes these works so very special provides a deeper insight into beloved works and a better understanding of why fantasy is such a pervasive force in modern culture.

I've listened to it. Very informative. Great deal of discussion about the LoTR. Tolkiens suspected motives and inspirations. I always knew Luthien was his wife but these lectures go much deeper. I borrowed it from the library and ripped it to my pc and then to my mp3 player. Good for exercise (if you like distraction) or riding in the car.

Inglor the Oh So Learned

Owner of the phrase: "merciless attention" so authorized by Viv
inglor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://michaeldrout.com/

This is the Lecturer

Owner of the phrase: "merciless attention" so authorized by Viv
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: