Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

"The Way I See It" challenge

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: "The Way I See It" challenge Reply with quote

This is to formally launch the first phase of our next breaking type challenge: “The Way I See It …”

Target date for the Challenge to begin is this coming Wednesday, October 15th. As we have done before, participants will then have one month to write a piece of at least 300 words. Completed entries can then be e-mailed to me at nb@nancybrooke.com. Randomly chosen betas will then have one week to comment and/or emend the entries before entries should be sent back to the author for final edits and posting.

As discussed a few weeks ago in the Bunny Nursery, this challenge will mix things up in that we will all be writing on the same thing – a specific narrative moment from the Lord of the Rings trilogy – but from any perspective, character, or voice we choose and in any style or form.

What we need now is suggestions for that narrative moment. If you have one, please post it here. Before the challenge formally begins, I will randomly choose among the resultant list and post the selection here on the 15th to kick things off.

If we're too pressed for time, and have trouble getting suggestions for the topic, we'll postpone until the 20th.

To register, sign up for the challenge (in the navigation box on the left of your screen, click all Fanfic Archives, then the Tolkien box, then scroll down and click view all # active Challenges, then the The Way I See It challenge), then e-mail me (nb@nancybrooke.com). This will serve as a test e-mail to ensure no one's future messages get trapped, treated as spam, or lost up the cosmic flue.

Any questions? Let me know,

and good luck!

NB

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My First Challenge!! Banana Dance

Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap, Clap, Clap NancyB!

Will stew on them narrative moments. If it's a random selection, I'll resist suggesting the ridiculous ones that initially come to mind. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SilverMoonLady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall put on my thinking cap... Very Happy
Shelob the Cookie Baker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sulriel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly do you mean by a "narrative moment"? a scene? or an incident?
elea24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, fun! I missed the last one, so I'm looking forward to this. Bring on the dancing veggies! Very Happy
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulriel wrote:
what exactly do you mean by a "narrative moment"? a scene? or an incident?

Yes.

Both.

Either.

We want to be specific, but not too tight in focus ... Very Happy I was imagining fairly specific moments in the narrative experienced by several people, so that the impetus for the experience is specific, but there are a number of ways of looking at it.

One example might be when Aragorn throws the broken sword onto the table at the Council of Elrond, another when the cock crows on the morning the seige of Minas Tirith is broken (but that strikes me actually as too big ...), things like that.

I hope that helps. As with all OSA challenges, the goal is to inspire, so if the inspiration that hits you is not precise to the mark, it still counts.

RobinKa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a go Smile

~*~

OSA Nazgűl #7: Binkerton the Polish Nazgűl.
Ania

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo...maybe time to sign up for another challenge me thinks! This is really intriguing, looks forward to seeing which moment has been picked! Surprised
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I am so glad so many of you are planning to participate.

Here's the first thing that came to my mind for a narrative moment (I'm looking for others and can't wait to hear your suggestions):

Quote:
At last he [Theoden] halted once again. The City was now nearer. A smell of burning was in the air and a very shadow of death. The horses were uneasy. But the king sat upon Snowmane, motionless, gazing upon the agony of Minas Tirith, as if stricken suddenly by anguish or by dread. He seemed to shrink down, cowed by age ... Then suddenly Merry felt it at last, beyond doubt: a change. Wind was in his face! Light was glimmering ... but at that same moment there was a flash, as if lightning had sprung from the earth beneath the city. For a searing second it stood dazzling foar off in black and white, its topmost tower like a glittering needle; and then as darkness closed again there came rolling over the flields a great boom.

At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again ...

Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, not something simple like "Gandalf coming back from the dead" or "that whole business with the Barrow Wights", then? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if we opened it up to Silm, "Kinslaying: Necessary or Ebol?"

Okay, strike that suggestion. It was flippant. I'm just in that sort of mood. bendy
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:
So, not something simple like "Gandalf coming back from the dead" or "that whole business with the Barrow Wights", then? Wink

Good questions; had to think about it, and after a glass of wine, too.

I think suggestions should be made as specific as possible, e.g. the moment where Gandalf is deposited in Lorien by Gwaihir after returning from the dead (he was on tour, dude) -- a moment not in the text but inferrable.

The moment can be quite small, inconsequential or a real turning point, but if it is experienced by some number of characters challenge participants will have more perspectives to choose from.

I think the value in this challenge will be to have us starting from as similar a point as possible, but then going in perhaps many different directions.

Also, we decided in the thread discussing this challenge to restrict it to the Trilogy since it was assumed most folks knew that best.

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NancyBrooke wrote:
Viv wrote:
I think the value in this challenge will be to have us starting from as similar a point as possible, but then going in perhaps many different directions.

Did you ever see that episode of CSI called "Rashomama"? All the CSI's - Grissom, Katherine, Warrick - etc. recount their experience of the same event, an investigation in which Nick's truck gets stolen with all the gathered evidence inside. Of course, everyone's version of events is quite different, with Greg's being told a la Mickey Spillane even. That's what I'm after, the same event experienced from different perspectives. I imagine that with our differing styles, POV's, characters, etc. we should all see something new and different.

Make any sense?

RobinKa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the following is a good suggestion, but it's always been one of my fav scenes in FotR:

Quote:
Gimli laughed suddenly. "A merry troop of fools we shall look! Will Haldir lead us all on a string, like many blind beggars with one dog? But I will be content, if only Legolas here shares my blindness."

The Fellowship of the Ring, "Lothlórien"

~*~

OSA Nazgűl #7: Binkerton the Polish Nazgűl.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: