Create New Account

Removal of Avatars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennnLee wrote:
I've been doing all my amazon shopping through this site. Haven't made the big CD purchase yet, but I did get my MP3 player through it a couple weeks ago. I hope that the site gets a decent percentage of Amazon purchases....

Amazon adds up very nicely. The MP3 player was (about) an $8 donation in one hit, which is very nice going indeed!

I'll look into Amzon.co.uk later on when I get change. Busy preparing the house at the moment as my parents arrive for a holiday in a couple of weeks. Smile

Robbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queenoftheshire wrote:
So. Just let me get this straight... To have an avatar is there no other way but to download one of those programs? I'm kind of technologically impared so some of that kind of confused me about how to get it on by way of your internet program, oh wait! Do you mean the router? Goodness I'll have to find the adress number...thing. Bad computer day

You don't need to find an address number thingee, no. Very people know about address number thingies.

You might not ntted to download one of those programs; see if you have Imaging or Paint on your computer (Start->Programs->Accesories). If you have, find yourself a source pic (one you like a little bit of) and open it in Paint and have a little play.

Let us know if you're still stuck.

queenoftheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've designed my avatar but still quite clueless on getting it on. And my internet program (Mozilla if that matters) doesnt seem to have any info on extra space, but then again I'm clueless on more than this. Sorry for any annoyed groans you might experience after reading this Laughing

I'm coming for you..
I'm the shadow in the corner of the room.
I'm the reason you feel sick in the morning.
I'm the panic attack, at the end of the day.
I loved you.
And now you're gone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queenoftheshire wrote:
Well I've designed my avatar but still quite clueless on getting it on. And my internet program (Mozilla if that matters) doesnt seem to have any info on extra space, but then again I'm clueless on more than this.

Create an account on photobucket.com. Upload your image. It'll give you a url link for the image. Paste that into your Profile here on Open Scrolls. Presto. Smile

As I understand it, this is the sort of thing Photobucket is set up for. Now, if you start using that image in lots of places and using way more bandwidth than anyone else, they'll get peeved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Varda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Curiosity Reply with quote

I'm new here Smile Thank Andreth (or rather her Ilmare fic on FF.net, my review and her reply) for me ending up here. Site looks beautiful, although I haven't yet got around to reading anything... hey, I just registered Smile

Anyway I hit upon this topic from the Home page, and I'm wondering (just out of curiosity) - how much bandwidth does this site require on a monthly basis - both in terms of mega/kilo bits/s and megabytes/month? And how much monthly do you pay for the hosting and what does the site run on?

Last edited by Varda on Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andreth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Curiosity Reply with quote

Varda wrote:
I'm new here Smile

Hi, Varda!!! I'm so glad you made it over here. Happy reading --- there's a lot of good stories to be found here.

Andreth

PS I love your Avatar. It's very ethereal.
Robbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Curiosity Reply with quote

Varda wrote:

Anyway I hit upon this topic from the Home page

Welcome! To answer your questions 1 by 1...

> how much bandwidth does this site require on a monthly basis - both in terms of mega/kilo bits/s and megabytes/month?

It's been growing and growing. I think it was launched in May and the bandwidth in Giga Bytes (approx) has been:
May 0.8 (And that's how we expected it to remain when it started)
June 1.6
July 2.6
August 3.6
September 4.6
October 3.2 (And this is where we thought it would settle)
November 3.8 (Quite maneageable)
December 8.8 (!?!?!)
January 4.7 in 11 days; (13 predicted for the month, or 109,051,904 kilo bits)

> And how much monthly do you pay for the hosting
We'll share that info (confidentially) with anyone who has supported the site financially and would like to know the difference their contribution makes. It's calculated annually, which is why there is a worry as we need to escallate hosting plans over the 10Gig limit, and only wanted to do this is there was going to be support for the next year. We're OK until about August at the moment and the site will have a bit of space to grow.

If you're interested in putting up another site, send me PM with the details and I'll let you know how much it is likely to cost.

> and what does the site run on?
Electricity Wink. You mean the computer? It's a PIII stuck in New Jersey. The webserver software is good old Apache on RedHat, mySQL and PHP provide the crunch work.

(Excuse any spelling errors, I've corrected 10, but can't be bothered to check for more!)

Robbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you the site was getting too damned big. The site has been down for a little while - some database queries were a bit to juicy for the site; basically the server or the mySQL database just couldn't cope.

I've rewritten some code to make it yet more optimal. Hopefully it will last for a good time yet!

queenoftheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Create an account on photobucket.com. Upload your image. It'll give you a url link for the image. Paste that into your Profile here on Open Scrolls. Presto.

Thank you SO much Viv! Now all I need is to get on the comp where my pic is. I just can't understand tech language so this really really helps!

I'm coming for you..
I'm the shadow in the corner of the room.
I'm the reason you feel sick in the morning.
I'm the panic attack, at the end of the day.
I loved you.
And now you're gone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thuriniel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how hard exactly is to create an animated avatar? I got mine done, and I had tons of fun ... the problem now is that I got the great idea stuck in my head to animate it Wink . Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

Maria

Robbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, firstly you need lots of little pictures, all the same zise, that mak up the avatar. You can actually make big jumps between them and still get realtively smooth movement.

You then get software that puts all GIF images together into one big GIF file. PaintShopPro has a GIF animator, or do a google search for one.

Thuriniel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie ... I think I got the programs I need, I can't wait to get to it. Hopefully you will see some results soon Wink !

Maria

Robbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another think - keep the size (as in KB) small. It annoys those on slow connections if they have to wait an hour for avatars to download.

(We don't notice, though. Very Happy)

Gwahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there....

I'm really sorry about the emoticon thing- I don't know that much about the net and these things in particualr, and I had NO IDEA it would affect you in any way! I'm so sorry about any trouble I caused. Please forgive me, I meant no harm whatsoever, and I don't often come to this forum anymore.
dolarabee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwahir wrote:
I don't often come to this forum anymore.

So let me get this straight... our site holds so little interest in you that you don't come and visit us anymore, which in itself is fair enough, but it's okay in your eyes to use something of ours somewhere else?

Is it just me? Maybe I'm overreacting here but I'm finding this bloody insulting.

do. Angry

~ Daniel Bélanger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: