Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Fanfiction recommendations - Other fandoms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Fanfiction recommendations - Other fandoms Reply with quote

The Harry Potter fandom is HUGE with a capital UGE! I know I want to start reading Eira's just because I know her writing so I'm not worried about the quality but when I go to sites like www.harrypotterfanfiction.com - there are so many stories and writers, I don't know who is good and who is not. The same is true about other fandoms - like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I don't want to try and dig through thousands to find a good writer so I thought it would be nice to have a recommendations for other fandoms (not LOTR) here.

I can imagine what a newbie in the Tolkien fandom feels now. So many fictions - its a bit overwhelming. Its easy to overlook the best ones and get buried under bad!fic in any fandom I'm sure.

And if you write in other fandoms - feel free to SSP your fictions here.

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading JunoMagic's "The Apprentice and the Necromancer" on ff.net, and I was liking it a lot. I got side-tracked by RL, but I plan to get back to it some day. The neat thing is that each chapter is exactly 1000 words long, so you can slip a chapter in here or there without investing too much time at a single sitting.

My favorite HP fic atm is Eiranae's "Scorpius's Ship," which is here on OSA.

What other fandoms are you interested in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ellisk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:
I started reading JunoMagic's "The Apprentice and the Necromancer" on ff.net, and I was liking it a lot.

I'll second this rec. I really don't like the SS/H pairing in anyone else's stories, but this story still totally sucked me in. It is LONG, but really worth it. JM is a generally really good HP author. She's the one I've read the most in that fandom.

Ultima ratio regum (The Last Argument of Kings)--engraved on all French cannons by order of Louis XIV
eiranae
Quiz Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:

My favorite HP fic atm is Eiranae's "Scorpius's Ship," which is here on OSA.

That reminds me, I need to post the next chapter!

Outta here

WhoaNellie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fanfiction recommendations - Other fandoms Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:

And if you write in other fandoms - feel free to SSP your fictions here.

Don't mind if we do. Very Happy

Whoa Nellie is a writing team. Our forte is a guilty pleasure we lovingly refer to as the Star Trek bodice-ripper. Recipient of the 2006 Alara Rogers ASC Award for Best Author Overall; 2004, 2005, and 2006 ASC Award for Best TNG Author, Second place in the 2005 ASC Voyager Author Award (ASC or alt.startrek.creative is a newsgroup for Star Trek fan fiction), we also have two Star Wars stories and a TNG/SG1 crossover as well as a SG1 story. As we began writing our first work, 'Double Entendre,' when either of us went too far the other one would call out "Whoa Nellie!" while hitting the delete key. This practice stuck. When we decided to post our stories to the internet, 'Whoa Nellie' was a natural choice for us as a pen name.

We have two Star Trek TNG timelines; the "Double Entendre" timeline breaks off from TNG canon immediately after the movie "Generations" assuming canon up until that point while adding Vash (from the TNG episodes 'Captain's Holiday' and 'Qpid') onboard as the ship's chief archaeologist. The "Reasons of the Heart" timeline breaks off from canon after the movie "Insurrection" assuming canon up to that point while adding Vash onboard as the ship's chief archaeologist and in later stories a post Endgame Chakotay onboard the Enterprise as ship's anthropologist. For our main TNG pairing, we pair Picard with Vash, the character created by the brilliant writer Ira Steven Behr as Picard's love interest for the third season TNG episode "Captain's Holiday" and the fourth season episode "Qpid." The "Reason of the Heart" timeline stories also pair a post Endgame Chakotay, onboard the Enterprise as ship's anthropologist, with Dr. Beverly Crusher.

Our Star Trek Voyager timeline, "Twist of Fate" breaks off from canon early season 5 shortly after the episode "Night." In Voyager, our main pairing is Chakotay and an original character we designed specifically to be perfect for him, his soulmate. We also liked the way Harry and Seven worked together so we incorporated that pairing into the "Twist of Fate" timeline as a secondary pairing. We know that it's frustrating for fans of that pairing so on the summaries of the "Twist of Fate" stories we usually include whether or not there is any significant K/7 interaction.

While we've posted some of our stories here our complete collection can be found on our two websites.

Whoa Nellie's Picard/Vash Romance Fan Fiction website is at:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Galaxy/7926/

Whoa Nellie's Sci-Fi Romance Fan Fiction website is at:
http://www.geocities.com/whoa_nellies2000/

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie

Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhoaNellie's Picard/Vash short pieces here on OSA are scrumptious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WhoaNellie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:
WhoaNellie's Picard/Vash short pieces here on OSA are scrumptious.

Thank you for the very complimentary recommendation. My co-author and I truly appreciate it. Smile

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie

NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found some diversion in The Blue Sun Room, the fanfiction archive of www.fireflyfans.net, particularly the stories of biggrstaffbunch. I highly recommend The Mal/Inara sex romp "This is Your Brain On Drugs", excellent writing, perfect characters, great sex ... what more could you want?
Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
Robbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video?
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie wrote:
Video?

Shocked oooh ... Very Happy

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the real reason the show got canceled: Sets spontaneously combusted. They were just Too. Damn. Pretty.
dolarabee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Fics Recs - Iron Man & True Blood Reply with quote

Author: Arata
Title: Successful Secrets of the Sexual Kind
Fandom: Iron Man
Pairing: Tony Stark/Pepper Potts
Five times they don't have sex.

Author: Alethialia
Title: Instinct
Fandom: True Blood AU
Pairing: Eric Northman/Sookie Stackhouse
Instinct warred with principle, but was there ever a question? Instinct won every time, in the end.

Recs lifted from nrrrdy-grrrl.

Enjoy! I know I did. Smile

do.

~ Daniel Bélanger
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: