Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Name for a female Tolkien Character

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Name for a female Tolkien Character Reply with quote

I need a name for a female tolkien character, and would like to 'borrow' one from canon, that is, use a name that's been used before.

Is there a list somewhere anyone knows of of female characters from LOTR and the Silm? Elves and Men, please. I haven't time to pick through all the original source material ...

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks!

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of an already formulated list, but I do know a boat load off the top of my head. But it seems a little odd to name, say, a peasant from Dol Amroth after Haleth of the Silm. What's this character's back story? What nation, where are her parents from, etc.?

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Neume has a list from one of the earlier challenges. But if not, you could always skim the Encyclopedia of Arda (and then suss out the villain, vala, dwarf, and hobbit names, of course).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ElenaTiriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Name for a female Tolkien Character Reply with quote

NancyBrooke wrote:
I need a name for a female tolkien character....

Is there a list somewhere anyone knows of of female characters from LOTR and the Silm?

Hi Nancy,

I have found a really valuable site for help with naming characters. It's called Merin Essi ar Quenteli!, and can be found at realelvish [dot] net.

It has name lists for various languages, where you can make up your own name from the meaning: realelvish [dot] net [slash] namelists [dot] php , and the names are listed by gender.

One of the lists linked there is of existing names, and their meanings -- unfortunately, it includes names for places as well as people.

Dreamingfifi, the site owner, is knowledgeable and has been generous with her email assistance when I needed help with a name for an eagle and a wolf.

There is one other source that I'd like to mention, which is the Research Library at HASA, the Henneth Annn Story Archive, which can be found at henneth-annun [dot] net [slash] resources [slash] index [dot] cfm .

On the Research Library main page, you can click on "Character Bios" on the left side of the screen, which takes you to a search screen for biographies (with a few races sprinkled in). If you click on the "All Bios" link to the right of the drop-down boxes, you will get a list of about 450 Tolkien characters.

For unfamiliar names, you will have to click on the link to the bio to find out if they are from the Silmarillion. All of the entries updated in the last several years consist entirely of quotations from the books (something which distinguishes the HASA RL from Encyclopedia of Arda, for example), so you can just look at the citations to see which book the character is from. (Entries that I have updated in the last several years are color-coded: the quotations are on blue and the citations are on white... so they are easy to skim for.)

I hope this helps, Nancy.... I, too, struggled a lot with OC names until I found the Merin Essi ar Quenteli! site.

And, in the interests of full disclosure, I have been the primary volunteer maintaining the HASA Research Library for a while, so if there's anything missing or if you have any questions about it, you can email me.

- Barbara
Sulriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make up your own name, Darth has a name generator. ...for some reason, I don't have the url handy - must find it. *argh*
ElenaTiriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulriel wrote:
If you want to make up your own name, Darth has a name generator.

Oh, yes, I remember that now.... is this the site?

elffetish [dot] com [slash] SindaFrame1 [dot] php

- Barbara
Sulriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElenaTiriel wrote:
Sulriel wrote:
If you want to make up your own name, Darth has a name generator.

Oh, yes, I remember that now.... is this the site?

elffetish [dot] com [slash] SindaFrame1 [dot] php

- Barbara

yes! thank you, and I have it correctly bookmarked now.

Valinorian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this could be a help.
Aredhel
Beruthiel
Altariel
Eowyn
Yavanna
Varda
Elbereth
Celebrian
What do you think?