Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Game of Thrones

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Game of Thrones Reply with quote

Have seen the first two hours of this and must say that Khal Drogo is the perfect role for Mr Momoa: ass-bare slab of pretty and very few lines. Score!

Yes, I do have further thoughts, if anybody else is watching and wants to chatter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I'VE BEEN BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS FOR THIS SHOW!!!! I love the heck out of the book series and I was really concerned to see what they'd do with it. And it turns out they managed NOT to ruin the books, which I think happens way too often. Smile It probably helps that Mr. Martin is on the production team so the producers don't accidentally rewrite something that will screw up the story line later on.

Sean Bean as Eddard Stark was a brilliant choice (though he looks nothing like the Eddard I had in my head) and I LOVE what they've done with Danerys Targaryn. I can't wait to see her storyline progress. If they stay as true to the story there as they have so far, she's going to be a "tv series only" fan favorite too. Smile

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
DarkElfChilde

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep meaning to watch it. -sighs- It looks good. I guess I could see if it's on Hulu. Confused
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like it's on Hulu but there are recaps etc. on the HBO website. I can PM you about another option too if you're interested. Smile

DarkElfChilde

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Go ahead and PM me. Smile
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the first hour was a little slow, just introducing the characters and all, but the second episode picked things up a bit. Like you, I don't think Bean matches the Eddard in my head, but he's doing a good job on interpretation. I also think that there's an intermittant problem in direction, in that sometimes it looks like actors in reaction shots weren't aware they were being filmed. There was a long stretch of a reaction shot with John Snow in the first ep where he just would. Not. Close. His. Mouth.

Khal Drogo = the perfect role for Jason Momoa: ass-bare and without a whole lotta lines. Nice!

Love the kiddo playing Arya.

Am undecided on Lena Heady's interpretation of Circe. She seems to be trying to make us all feel sorry for Circe when in the books, she seemed deliciously and unabatedly wicked.

The major highlight for me has been Tyrion. Dinklage's Tyrion is sublime.

Whew. Okay. That was enough fangirly bouncing for right now, dontcha think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also, OSA back-end thinks I have only posted 9 times in the last ten years or so. I find this amusing. Smile (Makes me seem so much less mouthy.)
DarkElfChilde

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv wrote:

Whew. Okay. That was enough fangirly bouncing for right now, dontcha think?

Viv, there's never enough fangirly around. Razz

Viv wrote:

And also, OSA back-end thinks I have only posted 9 times in the last ten years or so. I find this amusing. Smile (Makes me seem so much less mouthy.)

I noticed that. lol

NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on loving Tyrion and wondering where Circe's girl-balls went. Apparently Danerys stole them b/c she's gutsier in the TV series than she is at this point in the books, which makes me think "Oh holy shit, she's going to be gangbusters!"

The Kingslayer is also a lot more slimy than I read him to be; in the first book, at least, he's a little more straightforward and bored by the whole thing. This guy comes off as a used car salesman; amused and flippant rather than avaricious and cruel. (Can you tell I love to hate the Lannisters?)

Prince Joffery is supposed to be fat as well as a wimp, but the kid's got the cruelty down well. Thankfully, I also want to slap the crap out of this Sansa, just like I did the one in the books. I have no use for the uppity girley-girl types that won't even attempt to get their hands dirty, and so far, she's playing that flawlessly. The only useless child Eddard Stark threw. She'll make a perfect little patsy in a few more episodes.

dolarabee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never read the novels so I don't have the trouble(?) with reconciling the TV choices for the roles. Bean reminds me of Boromir in this but then that's probably inevitable. (I haven't watched Black Death yet but from the stills I've seen, there too I was thinking Boromir - silly me!)

Jaime Lannister repulses me. Shame because I do have a soft spot for the actor but I can't stand the character in this. Just the way he pushed Bran for a start... Isn't he a little too black and white in his badness? Is he more nuanced in the books? Can't stand his sister either. Coniving bitch, but then that's the point whole point of her, I suspect.

The imp (poor bugger) is well cast and played but I find I keep having to go back to wiki to try and untangle their entanglements. I guess the series skims over a lot by necessity but leaves us - the peeps who haven't read the books - wondering who's who and who's already screwed whom and when or why.

Sansa is pitiful but then I thought the way her dad explained her position in front of the queen to the younger daughter made sense too. Not that I didn't want to skewer her with Needle myself.

Who else? The king. What an arse.

And the Stark brothers, Jon Snow included, I'd like to know more about.

I do like Daenerys and her stallion. Smile Khal Drogo is the perfect role for Momoa, that's very true. Can't wait to see what's coming to her brother though (yep, cheated and checked the wiki). Heheheh. That exiled knight, something tells me we can't trust him.

Who are the Tullys again?

I'm behind on an ep or two. Should try and catch up this week.

do.

~ Daniel Bélanger
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books!Eddard reminded me more of Aragorn, or how I've always thought he'd be after a few decades on the throne-- if he had a womanizing drunken sot for a best friend. So not quite what I'd hoped for, but like I said, I'm not disappointed.

Shortest version I can offer to untangle the other mess:

House Tulley is Catelyn Stark's father, brother, and sister. Her father's old, her brother's not ready to take his place yet (too young or sickly? I don't recall), and her sister has her own seat in a neighboring kingdom, as well as a child. Catelyn was betrothed to Eddard's older brother Brandon, but when the Mad King Aerys Targaryen II (Danerys and Viserys father and uncle, as the line of kings practiced intermarriage) burned them w/ wildfire, the betrothal passed down to Eddard.

Meanwhile, the new king Robert Baratheon wanted to marry Eddard's sister, but (the implication at least) is that one of the Lannisters or their friends killed her to put Cersei in position to marry him instead. The Lannisters are cousins to the Targaryens a couple of generations back, and their father was Hand of the King to the Mad King, but they had a falling out as the king lost his faculties. Cersei and Jamie are twins, who is supposed to be very black and white now, the nuance comes later. And then Tyrion is the youngest, despised by their father b/c their mother died in childbirth. Circe and "the King" have 2 boys and a girl, but they've pretty well cut the youngest two from the series so far. They're more important in the books later, and by this point, have made Sansa pretty miserable. But yes, she's a pathetic little thing, though somewhat more bossy and cruel in the books. That changes eventually, in some unexpected ways. We're also deprived of Rickon, the youngest of Eddard's children, who is about 4 as all this happens. In keeping up with the series, he's at Winterfell while Bran is recovering from his fall. You'll find out more about Robb in coming episodes, I'm sure, and Jon Snow as well, with a couple of added houses as alliances are made.

dolarabee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Neume.

do.

~ Daniel Bélanger
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAN'T WATCH - DON'T HAVE HBO AGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! Head bang

must wait for dvd. Crying or Very sad

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily...

Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*loaded heavy with spoilers here*

Rob Stark was one of my very favorite B characters in the books, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of him, too, Do. Smile

And yes, Jaime becomes very very gray as the story progresses. I've read all but the most recent book and have developed a definite soft spot for him. Hope the show delivers on that.

Neu, I thought Rhaegar Targaryn kidnapped/killed/did something vile with Eddard's sister? Not that Lannister involvement would be a big surprise or anything. Guh, it's been a while since I read the books. I should re-read, but wow what a time investment that'll be!

RE last week's ep: Okay, I don't remember Renly and the Lord of Flowers having a thang, and in fact I don't remember Renly as being gay at all. And I definitely don't remember him as being whiny. Have I totally gotten him mixed up with somebody else in my head? And not that it even matters because the chest-shaving fellatio scene was made of hot.

And yeah, Daenerys is bringing it! I thought she was a mite useless in the books, but I'm lovin her in the show. Which may or may not be helped along by intermittant footage of Jason Momoas pretty nekkid body.

Come on, Sunday!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: