Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

2012 MEFA Info

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: 2012 MEFA Info Reply with quote

First official communique' from Marta and other MEFA Admins:

Hey guys,

Over the last several days, the MEFAs' new policies about adult stories have attracted quite a bit of controversy. This has made me and several other MEFA volunteers realize that we are no longer interested in contributing to the awards. Because of that, the MEFAs will be ending, though we hope other people who have enjoyed them will consider setting up similar awards programs themselves.

I realize this news may come as quite a shock. I ask that you read more about why we made this decision. You'll also find a poll. We are trying to decide whether to have one more season of the MEFAs, or whether 2011 should be our last year. If you have an opinion on this, please vote in our poll in ONE of the two places. (If you have neither an LJ nor a Yahoo account; email your choice to mefasupportATgmailDOTcom.) The poll will be open until 11:59 PM GMT on July 6.

Yahoo: http://mefas.livejournal.com/309296.html
LJ: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MEFAwards/message/11257

Thanks for everyone's help, and for your understanding with this difficult decision.

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
ZeeDrippyVessel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a whole lot to say about that entry on the LJ... both Marta's and mine. In all honesty, mine is more profanity laced, which is why it is behind the friend's lock. Twisted Evil

I'm not surprised, the MEFA's left a very bad taste in my mouth (and apparently a lot of others) and I've not been real impressed with 'the winners' as of late. But mostly I'm disgusted with the hypocrisy over the rating system. Either NC17 is okay or it isn't. Make up your mind.

I think this is long overdue and I won't miss them a bit. I think what ticked me off the most was the comment made on LJ by some... *insert vile nasty name here* who is under the impression that the MEFAs are the glue that holds the TOlkien Community together.

Yeah. i'm STILL gagging.

In the meantime, someone who has been in the fandom for a very very very long time is currently looking for volunteers and is creating an award site that includes ALL fics and not just an inclusive few - who happened to kiss the right ass at the right time on the right day. If anyone is interested, I'll give links.

Irritated? yes. I am.

NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there's a mention in MY LJ of my reasons for getting involved w/ ratings specifically. I don't use names, but their treatment of your stuff is the crux of it.

How are your stories somehow unacceptable, but mine aren't? We write more or less the same thing.

In any event, link away should you care to. I'm involved at the LJ community mefa_ratings where this is being discussed. Are we talking about Dwimmordine's efforts, or is this someone else? Either way, enough people want a reader's choice awards that something will be done regardless of the outcome of that "My way or the highway" poll. Sad

ZeeDrippyVessel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to head to your journal. *rubs hands together*

I showed my butt on Marta's LJ. Of course, i've had a few private emails telling me I was rather kind, which is hard to believe is me. Rolling Eyes Normally, I attempt to be fair and just and usually, I'll look the other way... but it's my understanding they did to someone else, what they did to me, only difference, the fic was up for weeks and was taken down just a week or two before the end, where I was up a week and tkane down. At least SHE got a committee. I didn't.

Go through their stuff... winners. Eleanor's Revenge - which is an AWESOME fic and extremely well-written. NC17. ANd it's a pretty graphic love scene, folks. Recently, I went through the archives here and downloaded everything Rohirrim. I'm converting to my Kindle so i can read it. (Eye sight is going) and I was SHOCKED at the banners for nominated and winner and honorable mention - rated NC17.

So what is it about me? Who did I piss off? And really, do I CARE I pissed them off? I just care they're hypocrites about it. Personally, I would apprecaite it if one of their moderators would acknowledge... we hear your complaint and THIS is what sets Rider apart from every other sex scene we've looked the other way for.

But they won't, because they can't. Rider MEETS the criteria for sex scenes in fanfiction. It's not a PWP. It's NOT gratuitous. It's part of the story line. I know I'm the black sheep of the fandom and no one knows what to do with me because I'm me. I call it like it is. Bull-puckery.

Again - I'm irritated what they did to Esteliel. It's atrocious to treat people that way. And to call yourself the 'flagship that holds the fandom together.'

BS! That's an insult to the fandom.

(I am overdue for a rant. I am called the Drama Llama for a reason! I've been around too long to give a rat's patootie. At least you know where I stand. Right here in the horse manure pile!)

I still have my banner. I should post it. It might make them crawl.

OH! New awards. It's in the talk and plan stage and I know Zhie very well!

http://tolkienawards.livejournal.com/ Wave

ZeeDrippyVessel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official. It is finished.

http://mefas.livejournal.com/309672.html

perhaps they'll be replaced with something not so elitist or narrow. IN reading some of the rather negative comments on why they need to stay elitist, I'm blown away by the blatent arrogance and ignorance.

Honestly, I don't think they'll as missed as they think they will.

Sulriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. They'll be missed, and by a lot more people than will post here. People care, but they're also here to have fun and relax, not argue.

The MEFAs did a lot of good in spite of a vocal minority of loud mouth trouble makers who wanted it their way or the highway *NOW* and refused to see reason or compromise or have any patience. - like a bunch of screaming apes throwing poo.

Yeah - there were problems, they weren't perfect, but I give the admin and volunteers credit for doing the best they could and they took a lot of heat for it.

It's been my only involvement in the fandom for several years now and I'm sorry to see them go.

Alassante
Virtual Village Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I leave the LOTR fandom and ya'll broke it. Or at least the 'glue that was holding it together'

This is why we can't have nice things Violin Music

Oh hi btw! Hello

Nagzul #2 - The Nazgul of Shmoove
Crucio! Because stupidity should be painful!
http://alikat7.livejournal.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZeeDrippyVessel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, they'll be 'missed' by an elite few. I've been thoroughly disgusted by the meltdowns on the yahoo and LJ, but it's attitudes I've come to accept and associate with the MEFA's. When something like that has admitted faults, you fix them and failure to do so, will destroy. I've said it several times - it's blatant favoritism and I know VERY FEW people who even wish to be associated with that.

It's my understanding they are rebuilding. Fine. I hope they learned something. Considering a response to something I said on a LJ, i doubt it. There are too many places to read and while I admit the MEFA's have left a very bitter taste in my mouth, awards are nothing more than popularity contests. That's just how I feel. Good riddance and please flush the toilet and turn on the fan before you leave.

ZeeDrippyVessel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alassante wrote:
Or at least the 'glue that was holding it together'

Y'know... SOMEONE actually wrote that on a LJ... the MEFAS were the ONLY thing holding the Tolkien Fandom together and I damn near responded...

Oh no you didn't say that!!!! Shocked

Sulriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe they are rebuilding. As I understand it, the archives of the previous years will continue to be available and that's about it.

The MEFA's changed every year *trying* to do what they could to keep the most of the people happy. When people are screaming for opposite things, it's not always possible. I believe that if people had given them the time they asked for, they would be (maybe not until next year) accept any and all rated stories.

It seems to me the baby was thrown out with bath water and I think that's a shame. People think they can do better ? -go for it. Rolling Eyes

ZeeDrippyVessel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are rebuilding. new name, new everything. New commiittee. There is a LJ committee somewhere...

http://mefa-ratings.livejournal.com/3611.html?view=168987#t168987

When Marta originally posted last weekend? Her poll was - leave it alone as it is no changes or kill it now. They killed it. THe monkey feces flinging at hte yahoo was a travesty...I have never seen such ignorance in my life and to even attempt to justify it is sickening. the proverbial stick in the mud BUT WE LIKE OUR WARTS IF THEY DON"T LIKE IT THEY CAN GO ELSEWHERE BECAUSE SEX IS GROSS AND NO REAL WRITER WRITES IT mentality that I saw on the LJ was just... *eyeroll*

I'm on several LOTR Yahoo groups and when MEFA's have been mentioned, you can see the collective eyeroll...and there ARE the snide remarks... so what? This is a dance most of us aren't invited to and usually the few that are, are quickly uninvited, while certain favorites with similar content are accepted with open arms.

it's just not a very good reputation. That's NOT a 'family friendly atmosphere'... at least not one that I'm aware of.

I'm repeating myself... elitism, favoritism, hypocrisy, very foggy rules in which group A doesn't have to follow but group B does. I've been very open for a long time, about my disgust with the administration's BS and the very bitter taste it left in my mouth. That's the reputation of the MEFA's in the circles (yes plural) that I travel in. I can't fathom why anyone would want to be associated with an organization with that type of reputation.

In the end, it's just a popularity contest. the one time I allowed one of my fics - Rider of the Mark - to be nominated - I wanted true Constructive Feedback and the winner the year before was a truly NC17 fic and Rider met the criteria. It was STILL a WIP at the time and I would have appreciated something besides ZOMGTHISISTHEGREATESTROHIRRIMFICEVAHGAMLINGISTEHHAWT! The person who nominated it was shocked that several weeks later it was quietly dropped - on the decision of ONE person who consulted no one and didn't post a single shred of anything as to why.

And it wasn't an isolated incident. I'm discovering that it's happened many times - to the point where many people - including me - are making s'mores in the bonfire.

I think the horse dead by now. I'm sure there is a great hole in your life with this... but they are rebuilding and I'm sure the same people will ante up and shortly afterwards, it will fall back into the orc-pit in wence it came. More power to it. I intend to dine on cheesecake and continue on. See, while they stick their heads in the sand like ostriches and praise boring, passionless writing...

I've got the hottest Horselords in town! Go me!

Sulriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeeDrippyVessel wrote:
They are rebuilding. new name, new everything. New commiittee. There is a LJ committee somewhere...

http://mefa-ratings.livejournal.com/3611.html?view=168987#t168987

huh? that is all different people. those are all the screamers and company. yeah. they're starting up their own thing.

you're so weird. and i don't mean that in a "good" or a "bad" way ... just in a kind of train-wreck "how did that manage to happen" kind of way. .. oh well. i'm off work in 11 minutes (horrors, i've been suffering the web from the office) and i'm going to go get drunk and see if there are any explosives left.

RobinKa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those screaming monkeys and I will only say that if the MEFA admin & Co. had discussed the changes in public they wouldn't have had such an uproar of upset writers. I was asked if I wanted to be nominated and I refused -- I would have to defend my story because the new rating system didn't trust my judgement and assumed a priori that it was ineligible.

IMHO the new rules were unfair and further censored what might be perfectly acceptable otherwise. And if someone tells me 'my way or the highway' I choose the highway.

~*~

OSA Nazgūl #7: Binkerton the Polish Nazgūl.
ZeeDrippyVessel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the OLD rules were equally unfair. Foggy. No lines. This person's NC17 was allowed, this person's NC17 wasn't... there was no rhyme or reason and the fact that ONE person could decide to cut bait and tell you you didn't make the cut and ignore any type of committee....to me... that's favoritism and it's REALLY insulting.

If I read the group AND the LJ's correctly, admin's stance was to leave it as it was...elitist, hypocritical and reeking of favoritism or crash and burn. I"ve been making s'mores.

I'm not 'weird'... I'm a drama queen. There are THREE things in this world that set me off like no one's business and I will go o nand on and on and on like a bad case of Diarrehia. And the MEFA"s are one - they are at the top of the list. there was a time, I would LOVED CC or foeedback from a new group ofreaders... I would have LOVED extra insight on Rider... loved it. BUT while some people's NC17 fics were welcome, I was told flat up that Rider was not. It met the criteria.... so why? I would pit ...His... in a heartbeat. A Heartbeat. But... every year someone approaches me .. can I nominate you?

No. I figure I could write something a genial as apple pie and stick the wrod penis in there and they'd ship it back.

Again, this is a dead horse. Some people are devastated... others are glad they finally met their demise.

RobinKa wrote:
I'm one of those screaming monkeys and I will only say that if the MEFA admin & Co. had discussed the changes in public they wouldn't have had such an uproar of upset writers. I was asked if I wanted to be nominated and I refused -- I would have to defend my story because the new rating system didn't trust my judgement and assumed a priori that it was ineligible.

IMHO the new rules were unfair and further censored what might be perfectly acceptable otherwise. And if someone tells me 'my way or the highway' I choose the highway.

NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who personally attacked Eliska, Marta etc. were entirely wrong-headed in their choice of venue for venting their ire. There were plenty of other places to rant, rave, and cuss about what went down and how it went. Personally attacking people in their own journals, by email -- or by reviewing their stories in entirely different arenas-- is just plain vicious. I'm sad to see it go, but ffs its a fan fiction "award" with a pretty picture and some reviews, not an attempt to steal your credit card number or kidnap your dog!

That said, personally, I didn't think the way it was decided was entirely fair. Those of us hands-on in that situation should have had some input, which we had a chance at in the Post Mortem. I feel like I dropped the ball in not calling the disqualification into question last season, which is why when objections came in, I tried to listen with understanding and maintain Marta's timeline/sense of order while still working to organize a level-headed compromise.

I was raised to think that if I fucked something up, I had a responsibility to help fix it, and calm and level-headed are supposed to be traits conducive to adult conversations, no?

That said, the site coding proved to be the major issue at this stage of the game, so the MEFA are officially finished, and I wish those personally hurt by this whole mess a measure of peace in the aftermath.

We're moving on, getting more people involved, and trying to prevent the interpersonal wank and burn out that contributed to this season's failure to launch. I'm hoping to help create something new out of the camaraderie and interest of the fandom at large in the wake of the MEFA dissolution. More information about this, including a call for volunteers and even a Name, are forthcoming.

I can't hop the Tardis, go back in time, and change my honest decision last season; I can't go back to January of this year and email Marta to ask for discussion of the disqualification. Real life, in part, is responsible there, but I *could* have said, "Hey, uh, is that *really* the precedent you want to set? Why don't we see what the participants want?"

Hind Sight is 20/20, but if you're looking backward when you're trying to *go* forward, you're going to end up walking off a curb and looking like an ass, even if you don't get hit by a car.

There will be a new thread soon for the info on the awards that Zie etc. are spear-heading. All are welcome to pitch in, or just come read around and review.

So, if anyone not already involved in the conversation is watching this topic, don't toss your nomination list. If anything, dig out your bookmarks of your absolute favorites of all time that weren't MEFA eligible, cause there's another chance to share them with the wider Fandom audience on the horizon.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: