Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

How to write a good battle scene

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbidmuch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: How to write a good battle scene Reply with quote

I'm writing a LotR fan fic through the eyes of an OC, and it's time to write the battle of Pelennor Fields. The problem is, I'm not sure how to write a battle scene. Also, the story is in first person, which also complicates things. And for the third, English isn't my first language, and I find it hard sometimes to find the right words to keep it in "Tolkien-spirit".
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help with the English issues. I taught ESL writing in college and work with a few ESL writers on here. Binka can vouch for me. Smile

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
RobinKa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeps, I can. Neu's been my beta for some 7,5 years now Smile

~*~

OSA Nazgūl #7: Binkerton the Polish Nazgūl.
Viv
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're writing the story, not Tolkien. Smile So think about your character and use words and sentence structure that feels right for that character. And don't stress too much about sounding Tolkienesque. Most of us riff off Tolkien, we don't pretend to immitate him.

Best luck! Pelennor is such a mine of angsty sweaty hollering goodness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Viv said ... also, don't feel like you have to tell the reader about every sword stroke. You're telling a story, not giving a play x play. Remember what you're story is about - What's this Orc all about anyway? Why do you want us to know about him? etc. - and tell that story through the action.

I do like to choreograph everything and do all the logistical planning, but most of it doesn't make it onto the page because sword strokes don't tell the story, they support the story.

With apologies for holding myself up as an example, but you might read the latter chapters of my work "Who The Sword Devours" and the notes for an example of what I'm talking about.

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 1/2 years?!?!?!? My gods time flies when you're having fun (or have no earthly idea what you're doing! Very Happy ).

I have to admit, when it comes to writing battle scenes, I chicken out. I have one called "Berzerkergang" that's essentially a warrior on the Pelennor going through a dis-associative episode, which from what I understand is somewhat normal in people who have been through fire fights and massive traumas. It gave me the ability to have a 3rd person narrator inside the head of the OC going through and around the battle field as a combatant without having to tackle something so foreign to so many of us (thankfully).

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: