Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Character Sketches - a resource

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Character Sketches - a resource Reply with quote

In an effort to help all of us who write character-based fanfic, included in this thread are Character Sketches for characters appearing in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit, The Silmarilion and other works by J. R. R. Tolkien. They are intended to answer commonly posed questions, and provide a comprehensive and uniform resource for fanfic authors using these characters in their work.

To the best of their ability the authors of these sketches have included only text-supportable facts taken from primary sources (i.e.. books by J. R. R. and Christopher Tolkien), avoided editorializing, noted important differences between the books by Tolkien and the films of Peter Jackson, and rejected commonly established bits of ‘fandom’ wherever possible.

That said, these writers are members of Open Scrolls just like you, working with commonly available resources. We make no claim that these essays are perfect or perfectly accurate.

If you note any problems kindly contact the author and contact the author kindly. If you would like to volunteer to write a character sketch for any character, major or minor, appearing in the Lord of The Rings and its companion works, please contact me by private message.

Character Sketches should include the following, at least:

Name:
Title(s):
Date Born:
Father:
Mother:
Siblings:
Spouse:
Children:
Lineage:
Date of Death:
Appearance:
Character:
Synopsis of important events:
Discrepancies with Film (optional)
Sources of Information:

Thanks and best wishes –

Nancy Brooke

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following characters have been requested by the accompanying OSA member. Any not listed - characters that is - are up for grabs. I will update this list as necessary.

Aegnor - Moralanqua
    Andreth - Moralanqua
    Aragorn - GypsieRose
    Boromir - Nancy Brooke (posted, see below)
    Celeborn - Ellisk (posted, see below)
    Denethor - Cadiliniel
    Eldarion - Vilwarin
    Elladan - Jayoflasgalen
    Elrohir - Jayoflasgalen
    Elrond - Spaceweevil
    Eomer - Dolarabee
    Faramir - GypsieRose
    Feanor - Thuriniel
    the Seven Sons of Feanor - Haleth
    Finduilas - GypsieRose
    Fingolfin - BB
    Halbarad - Vilwarin
    Legolas - Leila
    Merry - SilverMoonQueen
    Oropher - Sindohte
    Pippin - SilverMoonQueen
    Sauron - Andreth - (Posted, see below)
    Thranduil - Sindohte

Last edited by NancyBrooke on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:38 pm; edited 6 times in total
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Boromir Reply with quote

Open Scrolls Character Profile
Boromir

Name: Boromir, Son of Denethor

* (Named after Boromir I, Son of Denethor I, 11th ruling Steward who died 2489 TA. Ironically, this Boromir was also a mighty warrior and repelled a force of Orcs attacking Osgiliath).

* (The name ‘Boromir’ is commonly interpreted as meaning “Faithful Jewel.” The resource most often sited for this definition is The Lost Road and Other Writings, (the History of Middle Earth – Volume 5) by J. R. R. Tolkien, edited by Christopher Tolkien. Section III – The Etymologies, purportedly includes the information that ‘Boromir’ is a name of Noldorin origin – from “bor” meaning “endure”, “boron” meaning “steadfast, trusty man, faithful vassal”, and ‘mir’ meaning “jewel, precious thing, treasure”).

Lineage: Dunadan, Numenorean; descended of the House of Húrin, descendants of Húrin of Emyn Arnen, Steward of King Minardil.

Heir to the Stewardship of Gondor

Titles:
High Warden of the White Tower (Faramir, “Of Herbs And Stewed Rabbit’ FOTR)
Captain-General (Faramir “Of Herbs And Stewed Rabbit’ FOTR)
Also called:
Lord of the Tower of Guard (Aragorn, exact citation missing)
“prince of the City (that the sons of Elendil founded)” (Faramir, “Window on the West” TT)
Lord Boromir

Born: 2978 TA; presumably in Minas Tirith: “I was born under the shadow of the White Mountains.” (Boromir, “The Ring Goes South,” FOTR)

Father: Denethor II, son of Ecthelion II
Mother: Finduilas, daughter of Prince Adrahil of Dol Amroth
Siblings: One brother, Faramir
Spouse: None
Children: None, no heirs

Dies: February 26, 3019

Appearance:
“A tall man with a fair and noble face, dark-haired and grey-eyed, proud and stern of glance.

He was cloaked and booted as if for a journey on horseback; and indeed though his garments were rich, and his cloak was lined with fur, they were stained with long travel. He had a collar of silver in which a single white stone was set; his locks were shorn about his shoulders. On a baldric he wore a great horn tipped with silver that was now laid upon his knees.” (“The Council of Elrond,” FOTR)

(“a great horn of the wild ox of the East, bound with silver, and written with ancient characters. That horn the eldest son of our house has born for many generations.” (Faramir, “Window on the West”, TT)

“In my turn I bore it, and so did each eldest son of our house, far back into the vanished years before the failing of the kings, since Vorondil father of Mardil hunted the wild kine of Araw in the far fields of Rhun.” (Denethor, “Minas Tirith,” ROTK)

Like his father Denethor “in face and pride, but in little else.” (Appendix A, “The Stewards”, ROTK)

In reference to Aragorn “Boromir, little less in height, was broader and heavier in build,” and had “great arms.” (“The Ring Goes South,” FOTR)

Often referred to as tall and proud.

Character:
“Great harm is [his] death to Minas Tirith, and to us all. That was a worthy man! All spoke his praise. He came seldom to the Mark, for he was ever in the wars on the East-borders; but I have seen him. More like to the swift sons of Eorl than to the grave men of Gondor he seemed to me, and likely to prove a great captain of his people when his time came.” (Eomer, “The Riders of Rohan”, TT)

“A warrior, and a lord of men.” (Gandalf, exact citation missing)

“This I remember of Boromir as a boy, when we together learned the tale of our sires and the history of our city, that always it displeased him that his father was not king. ‘How many hundreds of years needs it to make a steward a king, if the king returns not?’” (Faramir, “Window on the West,” TT)

“Proud and fearless, often rash, ever anxious for the victory of Minas Tirith (and his own glory therein).” (Faramir, “Window on the West,” TT)

“A man of prowess, and for that he was accounted the best man in Gondor. And very valiant indeed he was: no heir of Minas Tirith has for long years been so hardy in toil, so onward into battle, or blown a mightier note on the Great Horn.” (Faramir, “Window on the West,” TT)

“He was a masterful man, and one to take what he desired.” (Gandalf, “Minas Tirith,” ROTK)

“a lordly but kindly manner.” (Pippin, “Minas Tirith,” ROTK)

“A man after the sort of King Eärnur of old, taking no wife and delighting chiefly in arms; fearless and strong, but caring little for lore, save the tales of old battles. (Appendix A, “The Stewards”, ROTK)

“Between the brothers there was great love, and had been since childhood, when Boromir was the helper and protector of Faramir. No jealousy or rivalry had arisen between them since, for their father’s favor or for the praise of men” (Appendix A, “The Stewards”, ROTK).

Described as dissimilar to his father Denethor in character: “[Denethor] is not like as other men of this time … by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him; as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet did not in Boromir whom he loved best.” (Gandalf, “Minas Tirith” ROTK)

Third Age:
2978 Born
2983 Brother Faramir born (Boromir is 5 years old)
2984 Grandfather, Ecthelion II, dies; Father, Denethor II, becomes Steward; Boromir becomes his heir (Boromir is 9)
2988 Mother Finduilas dies (Boromir is 10)

June 20 Osgiliath is attacked by Sauron (Boromir is 40)
“Sudden war came upon us out of Mordor.” (Boromir, “The Council of Elrond,” FOTR)
“Boromir denied him passage.” (Denethor, “The Siege of Gondor," ROTK)
“Boromir it was that drove the enemy at last back from this western shore.” (Beregond, “Minas Tirith,” ROTK)
“I was in the company that held the bridge, until it was cast down behind us. Four only were saved by swimming: my brother and myself and two others.” (Boromir, “The Council of Elrond,” FOTR)

June? Dreams of “the Sword that was broken.”

July 4 Departs for Rivendell; insists on taking the trip instead of brother Faramir “since the way was full of doubt and danger” (Boromir, “The Council of Elrond,” FOTR). “Boromir claimed the errand and would not suffer any other to have it” (Gandalf, “Minas Tirith” ROTK).

July Travels north through the Gap of Rohan to Edoras. Is lent a horse, which returns riderless (Eomer, “The Riders of Rohan,” TT). “I passed through the Gap by the skirts of the White Mountains, and crossed the Isen and the Greyflood into Northerland. A long and wearisome journey. Four hundred leagues I reckoned it, and it took me many months; for I lost my horse at Tharbad, at the fording of the Greyflood.” (Boromir, “Farewell to Lórien,” FOTR).

Oct. 24 Arrives in Rivendell the day of the Council “in the grey morning.” (Elrond, “The Council of Elrond,” FOTR)

Dec. 25 Leaves Rivendell as part of the Company going with Frodo toward Mt. Doom, with the intention of returning to Minas Tirith and bringing Aragorn. Sounds his horn at leaving: “I have let my horn cry at setting forth, and though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night” (“The Ring Goes South,” FOTR). Armed most notably with sword: “a long sword, in fashion like Anduril but of less lineage” (“The Ring Goes South,” FOTR), and shield.

Jan. 11, 12 During the blizzard on Caradhras advocates a fire for the benefit of the Hobbits. Later, with Aragorn, he forges a path through the fallen snow and helps Pippin and Sam to safety.

Jan. 13 Votes against going into Moria, advocating a path through the Gap of Rohan or Southwest into Gondor. Changes his mind when the company is menaced by Wargs. Beheads one wolf in the fight. Is the first to throw a stone into the pool before the gate of Moria.

Jan. 15 Strikes the first blow in the fight in the Chamber of Mazarbul. Is the last of the company to exit Moria.

Feb. 16 Leaves Lothlorien – is given a belt of gold with a clasp like a golden flower.
Here Frodo first begins to be wary of Boromir (“Frodo caught something new and strange in Boromir’s glance, and he looked hard at him” (“Farewell to Lórien,” FOTR). Boromir pilots the boat containing Merry and Pippin down the Anduin.

Feb. 26 On Amon Hen approaches Frodo and exhorts him to come to Minas Tirith; this failing he tries to take the ring from Frodo but Frodo uses it and disappears. Immediately, Boromir regrets his actions: “A madness took me, but it has passed” (Boromir, “The Departure of Boromir”, TT).

Is killed in defense of Pippin and Merry; found by Aragorn sitting up against a tree, “pierced with many black-feathered arrows; his sword was still in his hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two was at his side. Many Orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet” (“The Departure of Boromir,” FOTR).

Laid in one of the Elven boats of Lothlorien, with his elven-cloak folded beneath his head, his helm beside him, and across his lap his cloven horn and hilts and shards of his sword; beneath his feet the swords of his enemies. The boat is sent down the Anduin and over the falls of Rauros. Aragorn and Legolas sing a lament in his honor.

Feb. 29 Seen in death by Faramir, arrayed in his funeral boat and floating down the Anduin. The shards of his horn “came severally to shore” (Faramir, “The Window on the West,” TT) and were found by various Gondorians and then taken to Minas Tirith and to Denethor.

Boromir is 41 years old at his death.

Book to Film discrepancies:
In general, the character of Boromir as he appears in the films of Peter Jackson is consistent with and retains the spirit of the Boromir created in the books of J. R. R. Tolkien. His character in the film is more drawn out, however; much of his feelings regarding Aragorn, the Stewardship of Gondor, and the hope he feels The Ring represents can be inferred from the text, but are much more clearly demonstrated in the film. A few of Boromir’s scenes were created for the film and do not appear in the books, and there are some notable discrepancies. These are listed below.

* Boromir is first shown riding into Rivendell; though it states in the book he lost his horse fording the Greyflood there is no indication whether or not he acquired another.

* He is fair-haired; book Boromir has the dark hair and grey eyes of his Numenorean descent. No mention is made in the books of a beard etc.

* In the movie, Boromir is sent to Rivendell by his father, with knowledge that a Council is to be held and instructions to get the Ring for Gondor if possible; in the books goes only to seek advice of Elrond on the meaning of the dream he and Faramir have had; he has no knowledge of the council or the Ring.

* The meeting with Aragorn over the Shards of Narsil is only in the film.

* Much of Boromir’s dialog during the Council of Elrond was created for the film, although his desire to bring the Ring to Minas Tirith as a weapon of war is consistent with the book.

* The departure from Rivendell does not include Boromir sounding the Horn of Minas Tirith.

* I find no reference in the books of Boromir teaching Merry and Pippin swordfighting.

* Boromir’s encounter with Galadriel is essentially invented for the film (“She held them with her eyes, and in silence looked searchingly at each of them in turn. None save Legolas and Aragorn could long endure her glance” (“The Mirror of Galadriel,” FOTR).

“‘To me it seemed exceedingly strange,’ said Boromir. ‘Maybe it was only a test, and she thought to read our thoughts for her own good purpose; but almost I should have said that she was tempting us, and offering what she pretended to have the power to give. It need not be said I refused to listen. The Men of Minas Tirith are true to their word.’ But what he thought that the Lady had offered him Boromir did not tell.” (The Mirror of Galadriel,” FOTR)

* The conversation with Aragorn in Lórien is unique to the film.

* Galadriel's giving a farewell gift to Boromir is omitted in the film

* The conversation with Aragorn on the shores of the Anduin was created for the film.

* In the book, Boromir does not swear allegiance to Aragorn as he is dying. It is left very much an open question whether he would have supported Aragorn's claim to the throne.

Sources used:
    The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien
    The Two Towers, J. R. R. Tolkien
    The Return of the King, J. R. R. Tolkien
    "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring", film by Peter Jackson
    The Annals of Arda (www.annalsofarda.dk/Index.html) website

Thanks to GypsieRose who spotted two discrepancies I did not; I have added them mostly in her words - 9/20/04

Andreth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Sauron

Title(s): Annatar, Aulendil, Gorthaur, Thu, Gorthaur the Cruel, Lord of the Gloaming, Lord of Werewolves, the Necromancer, Lord of Barad-Dur, Lord of Gifts, The Lord of the Rings, The Dark Lord, The Abhorred.

There is question as to whether or not Sauron used his name openly in the Third Age due to a statement by Aragorn in The Two Towers, The Departure of Boromir: “Neither does he use his right name, nor permit it to be spelt or spoken.” But the Mouth of Sauron uses the name of Sauron several times in his dealings with Aragorn before the Black Gate, and at the Council of Elrond Dain discusses the messenger sent to him from Sauron, who used Sauron’s name openly as well.

One possible explanation is that Aragorn was simply wrong. Another explanation is that, as stated in the Tale of Years, Sauron didn’t declare himself openly until he returned to claim Barad-Dur in 2951. From the beginning of the Third Age until 2951 Sauron lived in Dol Goldur in Mirkwood and was known only as the Necromancer. He kept his identity secret during that time until he was strong enough to battle his enemies again. One last explanation is that Aragorn wasn’t referring to the name Sauron at all, but perhaps to whatever true name Sauron had before his service to Melkor/Morgoth.

Whatever reason applies, the name of Sauron was used freely by Sauron and his servants, so it’s very unlikely that his name was a source of taboo for him.

Date Born: Sauron was among the Ainur, created by Eru long before the creation of Arda.

Lineage: An Ainur of Fire, a gifted smith in the service of Aule.

Date of Death: His physical body was destroyed along with the One Ring on March 25, 3018, but his spirit could not be destroyed. It was bound to Arda and would not end until Arda ended; however, after the destruction of the Ring, Sauron’s powers were weak enough that he could have no effect on the physical world. In Letters of Tolkien, Professor Tolkien did say that if Sauron were to truly repent and turn from evil, his powers would be restored to him. Of course, that never happened. The professor also said that Sauron’s powers could rebuild over the course of time, but how long that would take was unknown.

Appearance: In the First Age Sauron took the guise of a wizard and could shape-shift at will. His known forms were that of a man, a giant snake, and a werewolf. At the end of the First Age, Sauron created a fair form to present himself for pardon to the Valar. When he refused the pardon, Sauron went into hiding but later emerged again in the same fair form, taking the name Annatar. After the destruction of Numenor, Sauron could never create another fair form. His appearance in the Third Age is a matter of controversy. Some people (notably Peter Jackson) imagine Sauron’s to be in the forum of a giant red eye, but other sources contest this. In Letters of Tolkien, pg 332, Tolkien describes Sauron’s form in the Third Age: “Sauron should be thought of as very terrible. The form that he took was that of a man of more than human stature, but not gigantic. In his earlier incarnation he was able to veil his power (as Gandalf did) and could appear as a commanding figure of great strength of body and supremely royal demeanour and countenance.”

Gollum spoke of Sauron having four fingers on the Black Hand and in The Return of the King Aragorn calls at the Black Gate for the Dark Lord to come out and meet him. That sounds as though he was expecting an embodied Sauron to come out and meet him, unless he was expecting a giant red eye to come rolling out and do battle. More than likely, the Red Eye of Sauron was a symbol that he used, comparable to the ‘S’ Rune of Saruman, and Sauron used his Maiar powers to keep his ‘eye’ on things, as it is said Morgoth did in the First Age.

Character: The character of Sauron is more complex than most would imagine. By the Third Age he was evil, wholly beyond redemption, but like most villains, he didn’t start out that way.

He was originally an Ainur of Eru, akin to an angel of sorts, and was a servant of Aule. He was swayed to Morgoth’s side because, like many of the other Maiar, they were awed by Morgoth’s beauty and power as the greatest of the Valar, and Sauron also appreciated some of Morgoth’s other traits.

From Morgoth’s Ring, Myths Transformed, pg 396: “He [Sauron] still had the relics of positive purposes, that descended from the good of the nature in which he began: it had been his virtue (and therefore also the cause of his fall, and of his relapse) that he loved order and coordination, and disliked all confusion and wasteful friction. (It was the apparent will and power of Melkor to effect his designs quickly and masterfully that first attracted Sauron to him). Sauron had, in fact, been very like Saruman, and so still understood him quickly and could guess what he would be likely to think and do, even without the aid of palantiri or of spies; where as Gandalf eluded and puzzled him. But like all minds of this cast, Sauron’s love or mere understanding of other individual intelligences was correspondingly weaker; and though the only real good in, or rational motive for, all this ordering and planning and organization was the good of all inhabitants of Arda (even admitting Sauron’s right to be their supreme lord), his ‘plans’, the idea coming from his own isolated mind, became the sole object of his will, and an end, the End, in itself. But his capability of corrupting other minds, and even engating their service, was a residue from the fact that his original desire for ‘order’ had really envisaged the good estate (especially physical well-being) of his ‘subjects’.”

Sauron was capable of very cold, calculating acts, which he no doubt reasoned away by being for the greater good of others, and ultimately the greater good of the world. His acts in the Silmarillion were very brutal and evil, his only out being the fact that he was acting in the service of Morgoth and as Morgoth’s servant. I’ll let Professor Tolkien explain:

From Letters of Tolkien, pg 151: “And there is Sauron. In the Silmarillion and Tales of the First Age Sauron was a being of Valinor perverted to the service of the Enemy and becoming his chief captain and servant. He repents in fear when the First Enemy is utterly defeated, but in the end does not do as was commanded, return to the judgement of the gods. He lingers in Middle-earth. Very slowly, beginning with fair motives: the reorganizing and rehabilitation of the ruin of Middle-earth, ‘neglected by the gods’, he becomes a reincarnation of Evil, and a thing lusting for Complete Power – and so consumed ever more fiercely with hate (especially of gods and Elves). All through the twilight of the Second Age the Shadow is growing in the East of Middle-earth, spreading its sway more and more over Men – who multiply as the Elves begin to fade.”

Letters of Tolkien, pg 190: “Sauron was, of course, not ‘evil’ in origin. He was a ‘spirit’ corrupted by the Prime Dark Lord (the Prime sub-creative rebel) Morgoth. He was given an opportunity of repentence, when Morgoth was overthrown, but could not face the humiliation of recantation and suing for pardon; and so his temporary turn to good and ‘benevolence’ ended in a greater relapse until he became the main representative of Evil of later ages. But at the beginning of the Second Age he was still beautiful to look at, or could still assume a beautiful visible shape – and was not indeed wholly evil, not unless all ‘reformers’ who want to hurry up with ‘reconstruction’ and ‘reorganization’ are wholly evil, even before pride and the lust to exert their will eat them up.”

Letters of Tolkien, pg 243: “In my story I do not deal in Absolute Evil. I do not think there is such a thing, since that is Zero. I do not think at any rate that any ‘rational being’ is wholly evil. Satan fell. In my myth Morgoth fell before Creation of the physical world. In my story Sauron represents as near an approach to the wholly evil will as is possible. He had gone the way of all tyrants: beginning well, at least on the level that while desiring to order all things according to his own wisdom he still at first considered the (economic) well being of other inhabitants of the Earth. But he went further than human tyrants in pride and the lust for domination, being in origin an immortal (angelic) spirit. ….Sauron desired to be a God-King and was held to be this by his servants; if he had been victorious he would have demanded divine honor from all rational creatures and absolutely temporal power over the whole world. *By triple treachery: 1. Because of his admiration of Strength he had become a follower of Morgoth and fell with him down into the depths of Evil, becoming his chief agent in Middle-earth. 2. When Morgoth was defeated by the Valar finally he forsook his allegiance; but out of fear only; he did not present himself to the Valar or sue for pardon, and remained in Middle-earth. 3. When he found how greatly his knowledge was admired by all other rational creatures and how easy it was to influence them, his pride became boundless. By the end of the Second Age he assumed the position of Morgoth’s representative. By the end of the Third Age (though actually much weaker than before) he claimed to be Morgoth returned.”

Morgoth’s Ring, Myths Transformed pg. 397: “Sauron had not served Morgoth, even in his last stages, without becoming infected by his lust for destruction, and his hatred of God (which must end in nihilism). Sauron could not, of course, be a ‘sincere’ atheist. Though one of the minor spirits created before the world, he knew Eru, according to his measure. He probably deluded himself with the notion that the Valar (including Melkor) having failed, Eru had simply abandoned Ea, or at any rate Arda, and would not concern himself with it any more. It would appear that he interpreted the ‘change of the world’ at the Downfall of Numenor when Aman was removed from the physical world, in this sense: Valar (and Elves) were removed form effective control, and Men under God’s curse and wrath. If he thought about the Istari, especially Saruman and Gandalf, he imagined them as emissaries from the Valar, seeking to establish their lost power again and ‘colonize’ Middle-earth, as a mere effort of defeated imperialists (without knowledge or sanction of Eru). His cynicism, which (sincerely) regarded the motives of Manwe as precisely the same as his own, seemed fully justified in Saruman. Gandalf he did not understand. But certainly he had already become evil, and therefore stupid enough to imagine that his different behavior was due simply to weaker intelligence and lack of firm masterful purpose. He was only a rather cleverer Radagast – cleverer because it is more profitable (more productive of power) to become absorbed in the study of people than of animals.

Sauron was not a ‘sincere’ atheist but he preached atheism, because it weakened resistance to himself (and he had ceased to fear God’s action in Arda). As was seen in the caes of Ar-Pharazon. But there was seen the effect of Melkor upon Sauron: he spoke of Melkor in Melkor’s own terms: as a god or even as God. This may have been the residue of a state which was in a sense a shadow of good: the ability once in Sauron at least to admire or admit the superiority of being other than himself. Melkor, and still more Sauron himself afterward, both profited by this darkened shadow of good and the services of ‘worshippers’. But it may be doubted whether even such a shadow of good was still sincerely operative in Sauron by that time. His cunning motive is probably expressed thus. To wean one of the God-fearing from their allegiance it is best to propound another unseen object of allegiance and another hope of benefits; propound to him a Lord who will sanction what he desires and not forbid it. Sauron, apparently a defeated rival for world-power, now a mere hostage, can hardly propound himself; but as the former servant and disciple of Melkor, the worship of Melkor will raise him from hostage to high priest. But though Sauron’s whole true motive was the destruction of the Numenoreans, this was a particular matter of revenge upon Ar-Pharazon, for humiliation. Sauron (unlike Morgoth) would have been content for the Numenoreans to exist as his own subjects, and indeed he used a great many of them that he corrupted to his allegiance.”

But regardless of how he started out, Sauron ended up as the Ultimate Evil. He was ruthless and would stop at nothing to attain the power he wanted and his rule over Middle-earth. He obviously picked up where he left off in the First Age.

From pg 156 of the Silm: “Sauron was become now a sorcerer of dreadful power, master of shadows and of phantoms, foul in wisdom, cruel in strength, misshaping what he touched, twisting what he ruled, lord of werewolves; his dominion was torment.”

Pre-Arda/Valian Years
– Before the creation of Arda, Melkor/Morgoth began to sway other Ainur to follow him and Sauron was among them. He was also one of Morgoth’s spies among the Valar. Though it never says specifically when Sauron openly served Morgoth, in several places in History of Middle-earth, Tolkien refers to Sauron as a being of Valinor, or a Maia of Valinor, which would indicate that he did reside in Valinor for a time. When the Valar defeated Morgoth the first time, before the destruction of the Two Trees, Sauron remained in Middle-earth, rebuilding Angband and continuing Morgoth’s plans in preparation for his return.

First Age: Sauron was Morgoth’s greatest servant and captain, given command of Angband and often left in charge of Morgoth’s armies.

457 – Sauron attacks and takes the tower of Minas Tirith, defeating Orodreth, who had been left in charge of the tower by his brother, Finrod Felagund, who built the tower. Minas Tirith was turned into a watchtower of Morgoth and the isle of Tol Sirion, which it sat upon, was afterwards known as Tol-in-Gaurhoth, the Isle of Werewolves.

458-460 – At some point in this time period Sauron captures Gorlim the Unhappy. Gorlim was a companion of Barahir whose wife, Eilinel, had disappeared during the wars. Sauron tricked with a phantom, and making him believe that his wife still lived. Sauron and Morgoth wished to know where Barahir and his men hid and Gorlim made a bargain that if Sauron would set him free and let him rejoin his wife, Gorlim would tell all he knew. Sauron agreed and once Gorlim had told all, Sauron told him that his wife was dead and that he would grant his request of being set free and returned to Eilinel. Then Sauron had Gorlim put cruelly to death.

460 – Sauron leads an army, including werewolves, into Dorthonion to pursue Barahir.

465 – Sauron has Finrod, Beren and their ten companions captured and brought before him at Tol-in-Gaurhoth. He defeats Finrod in a contest of strength, singing songs of power. Finrod, Beren and their companions are cast into a deep pit somewhere in the tower and one by one are devoured by a werewolf. Sauron wished to keep Finrod alive, but when the werewolf had killed all the other men and came for Beren, Finrod killed the werewolf with his bare hands and teeth and was mortally wounded in the process. Luthien comes to save Beren. Huan the Hound kills Sauron’s werewolves and Sauron himself is forced to face Luthien and Huan. Sauron shape shifts from a wolf to a serpent back to his regular form, but Huan pins him down by the throat. Sauron surrenders the tower to Luthien then flees to Taur-nu-Fuin.

583 – After the War of Wrath, Sauron creates a fair form and presents himself to Eonwe for pardon, but Eonwe cannot pardon one of his own kind. Sauron agrees to present himself to the Valar for judgement, but instead flees and is not heard from again until well into the Second Age.

Second Age
1000 - Sauron returns to Mordor and begins building Barad-dur

1200 – Sauron presents himself to Gil-galad in Lindon, saying that he comes from Valinor to aid them. Gil-galad turns him away and Sauron travels to the city of Ost-in-Edhil in Eregion where he is welcomed by the Noldorin smiths, the Gwaith-I-Mirdain.

1500-1560 – The creation of the Rings of Power are begun by the Elven smiths of Eregion under the guidance of Sauron.

1590 – The Three Elven Rings are completed in secret by Celebrimbor, the leader of the Noldorin smiths of Eregion, without Sauron’s help. Sauron leaves Eregion at this time and returns to Mordor.

1590-1600 Sauron completes the construction of Barad-dur.

1600 – Sauron forges the One Ring, using the fires of Orodruin (Mt. Doom) as his forge. The Elves are aware of what he has done the moment Sauron places the One Ring upon his finger. The Elven smiths take the Rings of Power off their fingers and hide them. Sauron is angered and openly declares himself, demanding the Rings be brought to him.

1693 – Sauron marches against Eregion, beginning the War of the Elves and Sauron. The Three Rings are hidden.

1695 – Sauron invades Eriador. Gil-galad sends Elrond to Eregion.

1697 - Sauron reaches Ost-in-Edhil. Celebrimbor is tortured into revealing the hiding places of the Rings of Power, except for the Three. Sauron later distributes the Nine Rings to different Mortals. Whether or not he gave the Dwarves the Seven Rings or if they were given these Rings by the smiths of Eregion is unclear.

Sauron kills Celebrimbor and carries his dead body into battle as a standard. Elrond's forces attack. Elrond is almost overtaken but Durin III leads and army of Dwarves from Moria, joined by an army of Elves from Lorien. They attack from the rear and defeat Sauron, allowing Elrond and Celeborn to escape with the surviving Elves and establish Rivendell. Sauron never forgives this defeat by Durin and orders his followers to harass and kill Dwarves whenever possible.

1699 - Sauron’s armies have taken all of Eriador except for Lindon and Rivendell.

1700 – Tar-Minastir at last responds to Gil-galad’s request for help, sending the Numenorean Navy to Lindon. Part of the Numenorean Navy is sent to Vinyalonde, coming up through Eriador and attacking Sauron at Sarn Ford, defeating him. The defeat by the Numenoreans is another defeat which Sauron never forgives.

1701 – Sauron is driven out of Eriador and flees to Mordor with a small contingent of guards.

2251 – Sauron’s greatest servants, the Nazgul, appear at this time.

3262 - Sauron allows himself to be taken prisoner by Ar-Pharazon when the Numenoreans arrive in Middle-earth. He returns to Numenor and corrupts Pharazon and most of the Numenorean people into the worship of Melkor/Morgoth, becoming a High Priest. A temple is built in Armenelos, for not even Sauron will disturb the sanctity of Meneltarma, likely out of fear, and those who remain Faithful to the Valar and Eru are put to death/sacrificed in the temple. Sauron even convinces Pharazon to cut down the sacred White Tree of Numenor and burn it on the temple’s pyre. During this time Sauron uses Pharazon’s desire for the immortality of the Elves to turn him against the Valar, convincing Pharazon that if he declares war on Valinor and takes the Undying Lands, he will be given immortality.

3319 – Ar-Pharazon sails to Valinor to declare war. His armies are demolished and Numenor is destroyed. Sauron’s body is destroyed in the fall of Numenor and he returns as a spirit to Mordor to rebuild his body.

3329 – Sauron begins his war on the newly formed country of Gondor. He overtakes Minas Ithil and burns the White Tree there, a descendant of the Tree he destroyed on Numenor, and forces Isildur north to Elendil’s kingdom and leaving Anarion to defend Minas Anor and Osgiliath.

3430 – The Last Alliance of Men and Elves is formed by Elendil and Gil-galad.

3434 – The Siege of Barad-dur begins and continues for seven years.

3441 - Sauron came forth to do battle with Gil-galad and Elendil himself. He slays Gil-galad with the ‘Black Hand that burned like fire’, according to Isildur, and Elendil is slain as well, breaking his sword Narsil as he fell. Though Sauron has defeated Gil-galad and Elendil, they mortally wound Sauron leaving his body dying. Isildur retrieves the hilt-shard of his father’s broken sword and cuts Sauron’s ring finger from his hand then takes the One Ring. Sauron’s body dies and his spirit flees.

Third Age
1000 – Sauron begins to stir in Middle-earth again. The Istari are sent by the Valar.

1050 – Sauron arrives in Mirkwood and starts construction of Dol-Goldur.

1300 – The Nazgul reappear.

2060 – Dol Goldur grows more powerful and Sauron begins to take shape again.

2063 – Gandalf goes to Dol Goldur. Sauron has not regained enough of his power and flees to the East to avoid being defeated by Gandalf. The Nazgul go to Minas Morgul. The Watchful Peace begins.

2460 – Sauron returns to Dol Goldur, much stronger than he was before. End of the Watchful Peace.

2480 - Sauron begins to send his creatures to Moria.

2845 – Thrain the Dwarf is taken to Dol Goldur where Sauron takes the last of the Seven Rings from him.

2850 – Gandalf goes to Dol Goldur and finds that The Necromancer is truly Sauron.

2939 – Saruman discovers that Sauron’s servants are searching the Gladden Fields and realizes that Sauron knows of Isildur’s end and is searching for the One Ring.

2941 – Sauron abandons Dol Goldur and returns to Mordor.

2951 - Sauron openly declares himself again and begins rebuilding his power in Mordor. He also begins rebuilding Barad-dur. At this time he sends three of his Nazgul to occupy Dol Goldur.

3000 – Sauron begins his communication with Saruman via the Palantiri.

3009-3017 – Sometime during this eight year period Gollum is captured in Mordor and brought to Sauron.

3017 – Sauron releases Gollum from Mordor.

3019 –
March 5: Pippin looks into the Orthanc palantir and is questioned by Sauron.

March 17: Frodo’s cloak, mail-shirt and sword are brought to Sauron in Barad-dur.

March 25: The One Ring is destroyed in the Cracks of Doom and Sauron’s power is destroyed. Rotk, The Field of Cormallen: “And as the Captains gazed south to the Land of Mordor, it seemed to them that, black against the pall of cloud, there rose a huge shape of shadow, impenetrable, lightning-crowned, filling all the sky. Enormous it reared above the world, and stretched out towards them a vast threatening hand, terrible but impotent: for even as it leaned over them a great wind took it, and it was all blown away and passed, and then a hush fell.” And so ended Sauron.

Sources of Information:

The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Letters of Tolkien
The Lost Road, History of Middle-earth Vol V
Sauron Defeated, History of Middle-earth Vol IX
Morgoth’s Ring, History of Middle-earth Vol. X
War of the Jewels, History of Middle-earth Vol XI
Peoples of Middle-earth, History of Middle-earth Vol XII
ellisk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Celeborn Reply with quote

Name: Celeborn

He is also referred to as Teleporno in one text:
[Galadriel] for it was the most beautiful of her names, and had been given to her by her lover, Teleporno of the Teleri, whom she wedded later in Beleriand. (The Road Goes Ever On)

His name means either Silver Tree or Tall:
The name Celeborn when first devised was intended to mean "Silver Tree"; it was the name of the Tree of Tol Eressëa (The Silmarillion p.59). Celeborn's close kin had "tree-names" (p.244): Galadhon his father, Galathil his brother, and Nimloth his niece, who bore the same name as the White Tree of Númenor. In my father's latest philological writings, however, the meaning "Silver Tree" was abandoned: the second element of Celeborn (as the name of a person) was derived from the ancient adjectival form orna "uprising, tall," rather than from the related noun ornê "tree." (Unfinished Tales)

Title(s):

Prince of Doriath
Celeborn, prince of Doriath, who was wedded to the Lady Galadriel (Silmarillion)

Lord of Lothlorien

Date Born: unknown—certainly alive during the First Age, probably during the Time of the Trees

Lineage: Sindar (according to the Silmarillion, Appendix B of LotR and The Road goes ever on); one of the Teleri of Aman (according to Tolkien’s last, unpublished essay on Galadriel and Celeborn cited in UT).

Grandfather: Elmo, the youngest brother of Elu Thingol who was the High King of the Sindar
Father: Galadhon
Mother: unknown (what a shock)
Siblings: Galathil (younger brother)
Spouse: Galadriel.

*But when they met and were married is subject to debate. The Silmarillion and Appendix A of LotR imply that they met in Beleriand and married before traveling to Lorien.

Galadriel his sister went not with him to Nargothrond, for in Doriath dwelt Celeborn, kinsman of Thingol, and there was great love between them. (Silmarillion)

In Lindon south of the Lune dwelt for a time Celeborn, kinsman of Thingol; his wife was Galadriel, greatest of Elven women. (Appendix A)

[Galadriel] passed over the Mountains of Eredluin with her husband Celeborn (one of the Sindar) and went to Eregion. (The Road Goes Ever On)

*But Tolkien’s early conception was that they met in Lorien after Galadriel traveled there on her own:

it is certain that the earlier conception was that Galadriel went east over the mountains from Beleriand alone, before the end of the First Age, and met Celeborn in his own land of Lórien; (UT)

*Still a third version of their meeting has it take place in the Undying Lands:

A wholly different story, adumbrated but never told, of Galadriel's conduct at the time of the rebellion of the Noldor appears in a very late and partly illegible note: the last writing of my father's on the subject of Galadriel and Celeborn, and probably the last on Middle-earth and Valinor, set down in the last month of his life…[Galadriel] went for a while to dwell with her mother's kindred in Alqualondë. There she met Celeborn, who is here again a Telerin prince, the grandson of Olwë of Alqualondë and thus her close kinsman. Together they planned to build a ship and sail in it to Middle-earth; and they were about to seek leave from the Valar for their venture when Melkor fled from Valmar and returning with Ungoliant destroyed the light of the Trees. In Fëanor's revolt that followed the Darkening of Valinor Galadriel had no part: indeeed she with Celeborn fought heroically in defence of Alqualondë against the assault of the Noldor, and Celeborn's ship was saved from them. Galadriel, despairing now of Valinor and horrified by the violence and cruelty of Fëanor, set sail into the darkness without waiting for Manwë's leave, which would undoubtedly have been withheld in that hour, however legitimate her desire in itself. It was thus that she came under the ban set upon all departure, and Valinor was shut against her return. But together with Celeborn she reached Middle-earth some-what sooner than Fëanor, and sailed into the haven where Círdan was lord. There they were welcomed with joy, as being of the kin of Elwë (Thingol). In the years after they did not join in the war against Angband, which they judged to be hopeless under the ban of the Valar and without their aid; and their counsel was to withdraw from Beleriand and to build up a power to the eastward (whence they feared that Morgoth would draw reinforcement), befriending and teaching the Dark Elves and Men of those regions. But such a policy having no hope of acceptance among the Elves of Beleriand, Galadriel and Celeborn departed over Ered Lindon before the end of the First Age; and when they received the permission of the Valar to return into the West they rejected it.

Children:
Celebrian (daughter)
Possibly Amroth, King of Lorien

He is stated to be their son in the essay, “Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn”:

During their sojourn near Nenuial was born, at some time between the years 350 and 400, their son Amroth.

The idea of Amroth being their son was later changed:

Amroth was King of Lórien, after his father Amdír was slain in the Battle of Dagorlad (UT)

Date of Death: unknown, it is also unknown if he passed over the sea. Only the Introduction to Lord of the Rings implies that he does:

There [in Imladris], though Elrond had departed, his sons long remained, together with some of the High-elven folk. It is said that Celeborn went to dwell there after the departure of Galadriel; but there is no record of the day when at last he sought the Grey Havens, and with him went the last living memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth.

Appearance:

Very tall they were, and the Lady no less tall than the Lord; and they were grave and beautiful. They were clad wholly in white; and the hair of the Lady was of deep gold, and the hair of the Lord Celeborn was of silver long and bright; but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes; for these were keen as lances in the starlight, and yet profound, the wells of deep memory. (Fellowship)

Character:

Here are some quotes and descriptions of Celeborn for you to draw your own conclusions regarding Celeborn:

From Unfinished Tales:
Celeborn had no liking for Dwarves of any race (as he showed to Gimli in Lothlórien), and never forgave them for their part in the destruction of Doriath; (UT, Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn)

From Fellowship of the Ring

Before greeting the Fellowship:
On two chairs beneath the bole of the tree and canopied by a living bough there sat, side by side, Celeborn and Galadriel. They stood up to greet their guests, after the manner of Elves, even those who were accounted mighty kings.

To greet the Fellowship:
Haldir led Frodo before them, and the Lord welcomed him in his own tongue. The Lady Galadriel said no word but looked long upon his face.
`Sit now beside my chair, Frodo of the Shire! ' said Celeborn. `When all have come we will speak together.'
Each of the companions he greeted courteously by name as they entered. `Welcome Aragorn son of Arathorn! ' he said. `It is eight and thirty years of the world outside since you came to this land; and those years lie heavy on you. But the end is near, for good or ill. Here lay aside your burden for a while! '
'Welcome son of Thranduil! Too seldom do my kindred journey hither from the North.'
`Welcome Gimli son of Glóin! It is long indeed since we saw one of Durin's folk in Caras Galadhon. But today we have broken our long law. May it be a sign that though the world is now dark better days are at hand, and that friendship shall be renewed between our peoples.' Gimli bowed low.

Noticing Gandalf is not with the Fellowship:
'Here there are eight,' he said. `Nine were to set out: so said the messages. But maybe there has been some change of counsel that we have not heard. Elrond is far away, and darkness gathers between us, and all this year the shadows have grown longer.'

Reacting to Gandalf’s death:
`These are evil tidings,' said Celeborn, `the most evil that have been spoken here in long years full of grievous deeds.' He turned to Haldir. `Why has nothing of this been told to me before? ' he asked in the Elven-tongue.

'Tell us now the full tale! ' said Celeborn.

Upon hearing of the Balrog:
'Alas! ' said Celeborn. `We long have feared that under Caradhras a terror slept. But had I known that the Dwarves had stirred up this evil in Moria again, I would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders, you and all that went with you. And if it were possible, one would say that at the last Gandalf fell from wisdom into folly, going needlessly into the net of Moria.'

Apologizing after Galadriel speaks:
There was a silence. At length Celeborn spoke again. `I did not know that your plight was so evil,' he said. `Let Gimli forget my harsh words: I spoke in the trouble of my heart. I will do what I can to aid you, each according to his wish and need, but especially that one of the little folk who bears the burden.'

Galadriel’s description of Celeborn:
For the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth, and a giver of gifts beyond the power of kings. He has dwelt in the West since the days of dawn, and I have dwelt with him years uncounted; for ere the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin I passed over the mountains, and together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat.

Telling the Fellowship to go rest the night before their departure from Lorien:
`Go now! ' said Celeborn. `You are worn with sorrow and much toil. Even if your Quest did not concern us closely, you should have refuge in this City, until you were healed and refreshed. Now you shall rest, and we will not speak of your further road for a while.'

Speaking to the Fellowship the night before their departure from Lorien:
`Now is the time,' he said, `when those who wish to continue the Quest must harden their hearts to leave this land. Those who no longer wish to go forward may remain here, for a while. But whether they stay or go, none can be sure of peace. For we are come now to the edge of doom. Here those who wish may await the oncoming of the hour till either the ways of the world lie open again. or we summon them to the last need of Lórien. Then they may return to their own lands, or else go to the long home of those that fall in battle.'

`I see that you do not yet know what to do,' said Celeborn. `It is not my part to choose for you; but I will help you as I may. There are some among you who can handle boats: Legolas, whose folk know the swift Forest River; and Boromir of Gondor; and Aragorn the traveller.'

`Then I will furnish your Company with boats. They must be small and light, for if you go far by water, there are places where you will be forced to carry them. You will come to the rapids of Sarn Gebir, and maybe at last to the great falls of Rauros where the River thunders down from Nen Hithoel; and there are other perils. Boats may make your journey less toilsome for a while. Yet they will not give you counsel: in the end you must leave them and the River, and turn west-or east.'

Speaking to the Fellowship the day of their departure:
`As you go down the water,' he said, `you will find that the trees will fail, and you will come to a barren country. There the River flows in stony vale amid high moors, until at last after many leagues it comes to the tall island of the Tindrock, that we call Tol Brandir. There it casts its arms about the steep shores of the isle, and falls then with a great noise and smoke over the cataracts of Rauros down into the Nindalf, the Wetwang as it is called in your tongue. That is a wide region of sluggish fen where the stream becomes tortuous and much divided. There the Entwash flows in by many mouths from the Forest of Fangorn in the west. About that stream, on this side of the Great River, lies Rohan. On the further side are the bleak hills of the Emyn Muil. The wind blows from the East there, for they look out over the Dead Marshes and the Noman-lands to Cirith Gorgor and the black gates of Mordor.
'Boromir, and any that go with him seeking Minas Tirith, will do well to leave the Great River above Rauros and cross the Entwash before it finds the marshes. Yet they should not go too far up that stream, nor risk becoming entangled in the Forest of Fangorn. That is a strange land, and is now little known. But Boromir and Aragorn doubtless do not need this warning.'

To Boromir, concerning Fangorn:
`Then I need say no more,' said Celeborn. 'But do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.'

From Return of the King:
In speaking to Treebeard:
Then Treebeard said farewell to each of them in turn, and he bowed three times slowly and with great reverence to Celeborn and Galadriel. 'It is long, long since we met by stock or by stone, _A vanimar_, _vanimálion nostari!_' he said. 'It is sad that we should meet only thus at the ending. For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air. I do not think we shall meet again.'
And Celeborn said: 'I do not know, Eldest.' But Galadriel said: 'Not in Middle-earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again.

Saying farewell to Aragorn:
Then Aragorn took leave of Celeborn and Galadriel; and the Lady said to him: 'Elfstone, through darkness you have come to your hope, and have now all your desire. Use well the days!'

But Celeborn said: 'Kinsman, farewell! May your doom be other than mine,and your treasure remain with you to the end!'

The events of Celeborn’s life before he came to Lothlorien are disputed. Tolkien wrote two primary versions. One in an early essay titled Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn and another in a later essay that also describe them.

First Age

*It seems certain that Celeborn escaped the sack of Doriath. (Silmarillion)

*At the end of the First Age after the War of Wrath, Celeborn and Galadriel refused (or possibly in Galadriel’s case were denied) passage back to Valinor:

Yet not all the Eldalië were willing to forsake the Hither Lands where they had long suffered and long dwelt; and some lingered many an age in Middle-earth. Among those were Círdan the Shipwright, and Celeborn of Doriath, with Galadriel his wife, who alone remained of those who led the Noldor to exile in Beleriand. (Silmarillion)

Second Age

*In the early Second Age, they spent some time in Lindon with the other Sindarin and Noldorin refugees of the destruction of Beleriand:

In Lindon south of the Lune dwelt for a time Celeborn, kinsman of Thingol (Appendix B)

*Here is where the tale diverges. According to ‘Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn,’ they went to Eriador and were considered the Lord and Lady of the Elves in Eriador. There, they had a son, Amroth. In the year 700, they went East and founded the realm of Eregion in Ost-in-Edhil, becoming its Lord and Lady. They were later overthrown around 1350 of the Second Age and Galadriel went to Lothlorien while Celeborn stayed in Eregion:

In Doriath she met Celeborn, grandson of Elmo the brother of Thingol. For love of Celeborn, who would not leave Middle-earth (and probably with some pride of her own, for she had been one of those eager to adventure there), she did not go West at the Downfall of Melkor, but crossed Ered Lindon with Celeborn and came into Eriador. When they entered that region there were many Noldor in their following, together with Grey-elves and Green-elves; and for a while they dwelt in the country about Lake Nenuial (Evendim, north of the Shire). Celeborn and Galadriel came to be regarded as Lord and Lady of the Eldar in Eriador, including the wandering companies of Nandorin origin who had never passed west over Ered Lindon and come down into Ossiriand. During their sojourn near Nenuial was born, at some time between the years 350 and 400, their son Amroth. [The time and place of Celebrian's birth, whether here or later in Eregion, or even later in Lórien, is not made definite.]

Celeborn and Galadriel therefore went eastwards, about the year 700 of the Second Age, and established the (primarily but by no means solely) Noldorin realm of Eregion.

Sauron used all his arts upon Celebrimbor and his fellow-smiths, who had formed a society or brotherhood, very powerful in Eregion, the Gwaith-i-Mírdain; but he worked in secret, unknown to Galadriel and Celeborn. Before long Sauron had the Gwaith-i-Mírdain under his influence, for at first they had great profit from his instruction in secret matters of their craft. So great became his hold on the Mírdain that at length he persuaded them to revolt against Galadriel and Celeborn and to seize power in Eregion; and that was at some time between 1350 and 1400 of the Second Age. Galadriel thereupon left Eregion and passed through Khazaddûm to Lórinand, taking with her Amroth and Celebrían; but Celeborn would not enter the mansions of the Dwarves, and he remained behind in Eregion, disregarded by Celebrimbor. In Lórinand Galadriel took up rule, and defence against Sauron.

When Sauron learned of the repentance and revolt of Celebrimbor his disguise fell and his wrath was revealed; and gathering a great force he moved over Calenardhon (Rohan) to the invasion of Eriador in the year 1695. When news of this reached Gil-galad he sent out a force under Elrond Half-elven; but Elrond had far to go, and Sauron turned north and made at once for Eregion. The scouts and vanguard of Sauron's host were already approaching when Celeborn made a sortie and drove them back; but though he was able to join his force to that of Elrond they could not return to Eregion, for Sauron's host was far greater than theirs, great enough both to hold them off and closely to invest Eregion. At last the attackers broke into Eregion with ruin and devastation, and captured the chief object of Sauron's assault, the House of the Mírdain, where were their smithies and their treasures. Celebrimbor, desperate, himself withstood Sauron on the steps of the great door of the Mírdain; but he was grappled and taken captive, and the House was ransacked. There Sauron took the Nine Rings and other lesser works of the Mírdain; but the Seven and the Three he could not find.

After the Last Alliance …that the sea-longing grew so strong in her [Galadriel] that (though she deemed it her duty to remain in Middle-earth while Sauron was still unconquered) she determined to leave Lórinand and to dwell near the sea. She committed Lórinand to Amroth, and passing again through Moria with Celebrían she came to Imladris, seeking Celeborn. There (it seems) she found him, and there they dwelt together for a long time; and it was then that Elrond first saw Celebrían, and loved her, though he said nothing of it. It was while Galadriel was in Imladris that the Council referred to above was held. But at some later time [there is no indication of the date] Galadriel and Celeborn together with Celebrían departed from Imladris and went to the little-inhabited lands between the mouth of the Gwathló and Ethir Anduin. There they dwelt in Belfalas, at the place that was afterwards called Dol Amroth; there Amroth their son at times visited them, and their company was swelled by Nandorin Elves from Lórinand. It was not until far on in the Third Age, when Amroth was lost and Lórinand was in peril, that Galadriel returned there, in the year 1981.
(UT, Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn)

This account contradicts Silmarillion and Appendix B which do not mention Galadriel and Celeborn in Eregion and name Celebrimbor the Lord of Eregion.

*In another account, one that holds that Amdir and then his son Amroth were Kings of Lorien, Celeborn traveled during the Second Age to Lothlorien but largely remained in Lindon with Galadriel:

The people of Lórien were even then [i.e. at the time of the loss of Amroth] much as they were at the end of the Third Age: Silvan Elves in origin, but ruled by princes of Sindarin descent (as was the realm of Thranduil in the northern parts of Mirkwood; though whether Thranduil and Amroth were akin is not now known.) They had however been much mingled with Noldor (of Sindarin speech), who passed through Moria after the destruction of Eregion by Sauron in the year 1697 of the Second Age. At that time Elrond went westward [sic; probably meaning simply that he did not cross Misty Mountains] and established the refuse of Imladris; Celeborn went at first to Lórien and fortified it against any further attempts of Sauron to cross the Anduin. When however Sauron withdrew to Mordor, and was (as reported) wholly concerned with conquests in the East, Celeborn rejoined Galadriel in Lindon. (UT)

*In a note in unpublished material the Elves of Harlindon, or Lindon south of the Lune, are said to have been largely of Sindarin origin, and the region to have been a fief under the rule of Celeborn. (UT)

*There is one further reference to Celeborn and Galadriel's travels in the Second Age that implies they spent time in Lorien. It is said that Oropher, King of Greenwood the Great "resented the intrusions of Celeborn and Galadriel into Lórien." (UT)

Third Age

*Their lives in the Third Age are less disputed. They traveled throughout Rhovanion seeking information about Sauron and then finally dwelt in Imladris for a time.

In 1981 of the Third Age, King Amroth of Lorien was lost at sea and Celeborn and Galadriel became the Lord and Lady of Lorien:

But during the Third Age Galadriel became filled with foreboding, and with Celeborn she journeyed to Lórien and stayed there long with Amroth, being especially concerned to learn all news and rumours of the growing shadow in Mirkwood and the dark stronghold in Dol Guldur. But his people were content with Amroth; he was valiant and wise, and his little kingdom was yet prosperous and beautiful. Therefore after long journeys of enquiry in Rhovanion, from Gondor and the borders of Mordor to Thranduil in the north, Celeborn and Galadriel passed over the mountains to Imladris, and there dwelt for many years; for Elrond was their kinsman, since he had early in the Third Age [in the year 109, according to the Tale of Years] wedded their daughter Celebrían.

After the disaster in Moria [in the year 1980] and the sorrows of Lórien, which was now left without a ruler (for Amroth was drowned in the sea in the Bay of Belfalas and left no heir), Celeborn and Galadriel returned to Lórien, and were welcomed by the people. There they dwelt while the Third Age lasted, but they took no title of King or Queen; for they said that they were only guardians of this small but fair realm, the last eastward outpost of the Elves.
(UT, an unnamed essay on Galadriel and Celeborn later than Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn)

In still another essay from UT, this is said:

To Lórien Celeborn and Galadriel returned twice before the Last Alliance and the end of the Second Age; and in the Third Age, when the shadow of Sauron's recovery arose, they dwelt there again for a long time. In her wisdom Galadriel saw that Lórien would be a stronghold and point of power to prevent the Shadow from crossing the Anduin in the war that must inevitably come before it was again defeated (if that were possible); but that it needed a rule of greater strength and wisdom than the Silvan folk possessed. Nevertheless, it was not until the disaster in Moria, when by means is beyond the foresight of Galadriel Sauron's power actually crossed the Anduin and Lórien was in great peril, its king lost, its people fleeing and likely to leave it deserted to likely occupied by Orcs, that Galadriel and Celeborn took up their permanent abode in Lórien, and its government. But they took no title of King or Queen, and were the guardians that in the event brought it unviolated through the War of the Ring.

*From January 17-February 16, Celeborn plays host to the Fellowship in Lothlorien

*March 22—Lorien suffers the Third assault from Dol Guldur

*On March 25:
After the fall of the Dark Tower and the passing of Sauron the Shadow was lifted from the hearts of all who opposed him. but fear and despair fell upon his servants and allies. Three times Lórien had been assailed from Dol Guldur. but besides the valour of the elven people of that land. the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome, unless Sauron had come there himself. Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back; and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lórien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldur, and Galadriel threw down its walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed.
In the North also there had been war and evil. The realm of Thranduil was invaded, and there was long battle under the trees and great ruin of fire; but in the end Thranduil had the victory.
(Appendix B)

*On April 6 (Elven New Year) he meets with Thranduil and renames/redivides Mirkwood:
And on the day of the New Year of the Elves, Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest; and they renamed Mirkwood Eryn Lasgalen, The Wood of Greenleaves. Thranduil took all the northern region as far as the mountains that rise in the forest for his realm; and Celeborn took the southern wood below the Narrows, and named it East Lórien; all the wide forest between was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen. But after the passing of Galadriel in a few years Celeborn grew weary of his realm and went to Imladris to dwell with the sons of Elrond. In the Greenwood the Silvan Elves remained untroubled, but in Lórien there lingered sadly only a few of its former people, and there was no longer light or song in Caras Galadhon. (Appendix B)

*Celeborn and Galadriel travelled to Minas Tirith to see Arwen wed Aragorn on Mid Summer's Day.

Upon the very Eve of Midsummer, when the sky was blue as sapphire andwhite stars opened in the East, but the West was still golden and the air wascool and fragrant, the riders came down the North-way to the gates of MinasTirith. First rode Elrohir and Elladan with a banner of silver, and then cameGlorfindel and Erestor and all the household of Rivendell, and after them came the Lady Galadriel and Celeborn, Lord of Lothlórien, riding upon white steeds and with them many fair folk of their land, grey-cloaked with white gems in their hair; and last came Master Elrond, mighty among Elves and Men, bearingthe sceptre of Annúminas, and beside him upon a grey palfrey rode Arwen his daughter, Evenstar of her people. (Return of the King)

They left Minas Tirith on July 19th to accompany Theoden King on his last journey:

In that riding went also Queen Arwen, and Celeborn and Galadriel with their folk, and Elrond and his sons; and the princes of Dol Amroth and of Ithilien, and many captains and knights. Never had any king of the Mark such company upon the road as went with Théoden Thengel's son to the land of his home. (Return of the King)

On August 22, when Gandalf and the rest of the company returned to Isengard, he spoke to Treebeard:
Then Treebeard said farewell to each of them in turn, and he bowed three times slowly and with great reverence to Celeborn and Galadriel. 'It is long, long since we met by stock or by stone, _A vanimar_, _vanimálion nostari!_' he said. 'It is sad that we should meet only thus at the ending. For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air. I do not think we shall meet again.' And Celeborn said: 'I do not know, Eldest.' But Galadriel said: 'Not in Middle-earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. (Return of the King)

Fourth Age

He did not sail West with the Rings Bearers, including his wife. He remained in Middle Earth and little is known of what he did there. He did not stay in Lothlorien long. He stayed in Imladris for a while and then may have passed over the sea.

We know Celeborn is not in Lorien when Arwen goes there to lay down her life in 121:

Galadriel had passed away and Celeborn also was gone, and the land was silent. (Appendix A)

It is supposed that he journeyed West:

There [in Imladris], though Elrond had departed, his sons long remained, together with some of the High-elven folk. It is said that Celeborn went to dwell there after the departure of Galadriel; but there is no record of the day when at last he sought the Grey Havens, and with him went the last living memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth. (Prologue of Fellowship)

Discrepancies with Film:

*In the film, he and Galadriel sailed West with the Ring Bearers. He does not accompany his wife in the books.

*His presence in Minas Tirith for his granddaughter's wedding to Aragorn is ignored.

*His anger with Gimli when the news of the Balrog is discovered is ignored in the film and much of his dialogue is given to other characters or cut entirely.

*Almost all of his advice to the Fellowship on their departure from Lothlorien is cut from the film.

*Some people having watched only the movies, form the impression that Celeborn is dull and is only Galadriel’s consort. I would argue that the book does not create this impression. Celeborn and Galadriel are described together as tall with eyes keen as lances. Celeborn’s speech in greeting the Fellowship shows he is in command of Lorien—he asks Haldir why he has not been informed of Gandalf’s death as if he expects to be keep informed as Lord of Lorien. He is very passionate about Gandalf’s death and Gimli’s presence. And clearly, by Treebeard’s reaction to him, he is an important figure. Anyone interested in an in depth analysis of this should read Marnie’s articles, “Prince Valium” and “That tall fellow next to Galadriel.”

Sources of Information:
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Return of the King
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
Histories of Middle Earth
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: