Login

Lost Password?

Create New Account

Realistic Characters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valinorian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Realistic Characters Reply with quote

Legolas is, obviously a side character and never much expanded on.
How can I make his character realistic and well rounded without making it OOC?
Thanks! Kneel, Suckers
NancyBrooke
Challenge Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider all you DO know:

Arrow Where he comes from
Arrow Who is father is (and what we DO know of him)
Arrow That he has no mother (who is ever spoken of)
Arrow That he speaks of no siblings, no wife, no lover
Arrow His abilities
Arrow His character strengths - loyalty, humor, openness, a certain limited point-of-view (i.e. Elven & Sylvan)
Arrow His actions

and then what you know about Elves.

Go back to the source material - movie or book or both - and see what that tells you.

Don't try to do too much. If you put your character in situations where his responses are out of the realm of 'experience', you're more likely to stretch him too thin.

Lastly, make him true to your understanding of the character, and he will read as real.

- NB (the compulsive question answerer, even when it has to do with Elves who are not in her idiom)

Nazgul #3 in charge of ducking & sniggering

Garo golf a conu ned i eneth aran an ir ho delitha ad
NeumeIndil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NB (the compulsive question answerer, even when it has to do with Elves who are not in her idiom)

That's just good character writing advice period, idc if it's about an Elf or a Horse. Smile

I'm weird in that a "new" character/OC usually comes to me as a mental personality and what I end up having to work on are the connecting points between "he meets this girl" and "they got through everything okay and lived more or less good lives after" or whatever.

But, when you have to 'invent' a character, answering those questions above (what their family's like, their education level, their hobbies/likes, etc.) are a good way to paint that mental picture of them to turn an idea into a person.

http://embullybreedrescue.org/
Beauvais

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Beginner comic writers often Reply with quote

Beginner comic writers often are habitual to writing irregular and lengthy panel descriptions with long character conversations in each panel eventually ending in the count of script pages. This is the worst thing that can happen to a comic artist and everything must be done to avoid this in your scripts [url=https://www.dccomics.com/talent/cameron-stewart]For More Information Visit[/url].
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: